razor blade or electric shaver?

Hawkeye5

Newly Enlightened
A straight razor is the preferred way to go for me.

6-8thsCVHeljestrand32IvoryScales.jpg

If in a rush, a DE.

Slant.jpg

Hawkeye5

Newly Enlightened
Yes, C. V. Heljestrand MK 32 (6/8ths) wearing ivory. I also own a MK 31.

I don't find a slant any more difficult than a non-slant DE. The slant bar has been wrongfully demonized in my opinion, more than likely by new to DE shaving tyros that didn't yet know how to use a regular DE or those who think it looks menacing. It does help to have everything else down before using one.

KarstGhost

Enlightened
Any new opinions on this topic? I'm about to buy a new electric shaver...maybe. Blades give me a closer shave, but always knick me up. Electric razors seem to leave random hairs all over my face. I've been using a Braun with the foil cutters for the past coupe years. Any shaving creams or gels that you like?

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
the electric shavers that I've used just didn't shave close enough. The multi-blade razors are pretty hard to cut myself with, and do a decent job. I got a safety razor about a year or so ago, and like it better! I think it shaves a bit closer, but the downside of that is that it's easier to take a little skin off too. Such is life.

Shaving cream? For canned stuff, I like Barbasol. Pretty basic and functional. I've got a badger brush and some shaving soap. Works fine too, but you need to clean the badger brush with a vinegar solution every so often to get the soap residue off.

I don't know what makes one person prefer a razor over an electric shaver. Personally, I've got a fairly heavy beard, and it might be too much for an electric to do a good job on.

Steve K.

budynabuick

Enlightened
I switched two years ago and after the training of the hair I find the electric works for me as well as a blade. Plus i can sit in my chair and shave. I use a norelco rotary with lithium with 3 yr warranty. Many give up on elec cause they dont train the hair which takes about 3 weeks. Now, a lot depends on what kind of hair one has as to whether they can go electric without to much pain. I get no shaver burn and i have delicate skin. You just have to get used to it. Btw, the biggest problem people have with a lectric is letting the blade get too hot. When it starts getting warm, let it cool down for a minute.

Keith

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I switched two years ago and after the training of the hair I find the electric works for me as well as a blade. Plus i can sit in my chair and shave. I use a norelco rotary with lithium with 3 yr warranty. Many give up on elec cause they dont train the hair which takes about 3 weeks. Now, a lot depends on what kind of hair one has as to whether they can go electric without to much pain. I get no shaver burn and i have delicate skin. You just have to get used to it. Btw, the biggest problem people have with a lectric is letting the blade get too hot. When it starts getting warm, let it cool down for a minute.

Keith

Honestly, if my whiskers were people; they'd be so hardcore that they'd be locked up in the newest state of the art maximum security prison. Yup, that tough. No training them. To them, an electric is simply a nice massage. All they respect is a blade coming towards them. :sssh:

Honestly though, there have been times I've needed to rush out the door, and forgot to shave. Bit of shaving cream spread around using my hands, a few quick swipes with a modern-day multi-bladed razor; and I'm good to go in less than 3 minutes. Not ideal, but gets the job done. Especially on my prison jump-suited stubble.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really can't stand shaving, period. For the past couple of decades I've been going at it in a different way. I bought a hair clipper. I remove all of the combs and cut everything on my head but my eyebrows. It's great. It's so short that I can't grab it with my fingers. Many people assume I shave my head but I never have to shave -- ever.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Great thread!

I have a braun electric that I got for Christmas a few years ago from the Wife. I use it sparsely. At first I tried to use is regularly but kept going back to the razors to get a proper shave. The darn thing always left a few hairs, always plucked a few in the process, and always gave me more irritation than a closer shave from a razor. Operating costs were high too as the automatic washer needed a pricey fluid container exchange pretty often. Tried replacing the "cutting" element a couple times at significant cost with very little benefit.

Been using a mug/soap/brush method on a wet face for razor usage for years and definitely prefer it as there is better control over the lather characteristics and the brush is a fast applicator.

Favourite razor is certainly not going to win any awards amongst the shaving enthusiasts, but has proven to be the most cost effective way to get close shaves without nicks and cuts... It's a quad blade job sold under the Kroger "generic" brand name at the grocer. They come in 3 packs normally, sometimes "with a 4th free" packs are there. IIRC they are around $5 for 3 "quad" blades... The Money saving part comes from the amazing robustness of the razors used in them. They hold a "sharp-enough" edge to go ~3-4 months shaving twice a week. So yea... I buy about a pack of razors for about $5, once a YEAR and am happy with the results. Wife tried the feminised version of the same razors and discovered the same thing- far fewer razor replacements, She also goes several months on the same razor now. The company that makes these things is never going to get rich is they keep making such robust blades... Makes me wonder what kind of steel they are using. I had used gillette mach type blades for years before that, only to find that the blades only last a couple few weeks and were costly to replace. Not to mention, the cheapo Kroger cuts closer with less nick than the machs.

When shaving, I first give it a good once over everywhere to knock down the majority of it, then usually a once over in the opposite direction, then I use my non-shaving hand to feel around my face and find the "grain" of the hair and which way it is facing. I then shave into the grain anywhere where the first 2 passes did not catch it all. By the time I'm all done, most of my face will probably have 3-5 passes with the razor but there is usually plenty of lubrication still available from the shaving soap and there is no irritation from this. In fact, achieving that insanely close (it's like, below the skin close) shave seems to cause the least amount of irritation. It's when I'm in a hurry and do a half-way job or try to get by with an electric quicky that I get shaving irritation.

Oh.... and a shave using that method, will result in less of a "shadow" 48 hours later than just after using the electric.

Last edited:

Quest4fire

Enlightened
I'm not exactly a morning person so I apreciate anything that allows me to sleep a nanosecond longer. I prefer one of those multiblade replaceable head razors. They last forever for me and seem to get the job done the quickest. On mornings I don't go to work, I often use a panasonic (Works better than my old Braun) wet/dry electric shaver. It takes longer and is not as close a shave as the blade but I can multitask (Shave and check emails, etc.).

Wisdom

Newly Enlightened
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I had NO idea a forum like that existed! I've been using cartridge blades (and the occasional electric) all my life and I love the idea of trying out the old skool way of shaving. I've blown most of my afternoon crusing that forum for info and eBay for deals on DE's (learning the lingo already).

LostinWV nailed it..

Badgerandblade actually turned me on to CPF.. one of the best group of guys I've ever had the pleasure of associating with and my shaving experience has gone from being a chore to an absolute pleasure. Warning, though.. ignorance isn't necessarily bliss, but it's a whole heckuva lot cheaper =)
-\Visdom

Last edited:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've a pair of cheap straight razors and a leather strap taken from an old couch. They were $15-$20 each (Kriegar.) If maintained, they shave just fine. Dovo razors command the $$.

As usual, technique trumps gear. Straight from the shower to soften the hair, proper home made soap. I prefer the "barber shop soap" scent. I've also discovered that "oversharpening" a razor can lead to damaging yourself. It's a balancing act.

Soap is saponified olive and coconut oil with a bit of silk protein added. I don't do the mug and brush thing. If there is something to shave, I use the "mug and brush" on my mug. :)

It's kind of scary when you first start straight razoring. After I'd done it a month, I realized how DANGEROUS I was being. You can really cut the crap out of yourself.

I cut my neck once and freaked out. "Did I just kill myself?!?!" Nope. Wasn't deep enough. With experience, stuff like that doesn't happen basically.

Then again, I've also shaved with pocket knives while traveling, stropped on my belt. :) Hobo-style!

Last edited:

aribach

Newly Enlightened
I use de feather blades with merkur 38c. But have just treated myself ti a feather de razor. Just waiting for it to arrive now!
I use a kent bk12 silvertip badger brush with geo f trumer cream.
Tried all kind of makes, but i found these to be the best for me. Definitely recommend the feather blades, by far the best. Also recommend you use a alum block after shaving with these!
Shave Shack is a good site for products.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hyper-fatted versus balanced soap for shaving:

Soap is made by the reaction of caustic lye (sodium hydroxide) with a lipid (fat) of some type. The "saponification rate" is based on what kind of fat it is, there are charts for this.

Too much lye and the soap is harsh. The old-fashioned test was to touch your tongue to the soap after it had aged for 1 week, you learned to judge by the level of tingle or burn. Too much fat (relative to lye) and the soap becomes rancid and spoils. It smells bad. So, for soap to spoil, it must have more fat than there is for lye to react with.

However, there is a fine line between shelf life and excess fat. Why is excess fat good? Well, on topic, it's excellent for shaving. For example, I have a pump bottle that foams whatever liquid soap/detergent is in there. Dawn dishwashing liquid foamed in this pump dispenser is a very bad shaving foam. I hate it, personally.

A "properly" hyper-fatted soap has a shelf life of a couple of years before going rancid. The closer to balance or (or even caustic,) the longer it lasts. Hyper-fatted traditional "real soap" is excellent for shaving. It has excellent slipperiness and won't dry out your skin. It's excellent for those with dry skin.

My father always shaved with an electric (at least as far back as I can remember) so when I started to shave I used one too. Over the years I've tried using a blade but have always returned to my trusty Remington. Alas, I can no longer find replacement parts at reasonable prices. So ......
Xs5KXvK.jpg

I just purchased/received this Braun 3 Series from Amazon. First impression is it provides a really nice, comfortable, close shave. They had one open box unit in stock, which saved me almost $30. I searched online for recommendations, and found this one listed as The Best Economical choice. $95. I try to shave in the morning and again at night. I don't have a thick beard, it's just a lot easier to get the job done doing it twice a day.

When my First Born started needing to shave, I advised him to search YouTube for instructional videos on how to shave using a blade, try it, then try an electric. He decided to follow in my footsteps instead of learning for himself which method he preferred. I'm a little disappointed he didn't put more effort into the learning process.

~ Chance