• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Recall of La Petitie Killer

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Issues/Problems with La Petite Killer

The "red stuff" is Pro Gold, and nothing to worry about. I posted already that I put Pro Gold just about everywhere. :D

Pro Gold prevents oxidation and facilitates electrical conductivity.
:ohgeez:O crap!! I cleaned the stuff off thinking...O crap.:ohgeez:

foxracer72

Newly Enlightened

ok went and got a new battery and all is good:twothumbs its a little touchy still turns on right before the lines meet up but when i match up the lines it turns off

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

ok went and got a new battery and all is good:twothumbs its a little touchy still turns on right before the lines meet up but when i match up the lines it turns off

That's exactly what I would expect to be happening, when the silver solder blob at the bottom of the PCB board is too thin. It initially makes contact with the battery and the LED will light up, or perhaps flicker, but as one continues turning the battery tube, then the top of the battery is coming into contact with the bottom of the head, where the converter's PCB is embedded, thus shorting the circuit.

I urge any and all to send their Killers back to me so that I can both add extra solder and anodize the bottom of the head, thus isolating the head from the battery. While the anodizing isn't needed if the solder blob is tall enough, it won't hurt to have it done. Besides, as I've mentioned some indentation of the top of the 357 battery can occur, so the anodizing will protect against further movement of the battery toward the head.

x923x

Newly Enlightened

Same thing here, new battery and got the exact same symptoms as described above. I'll take you up on your offer to send it back for modification, it's a great little light and I look forward to putting on the keychain. Email inbound.

Cowley

Newly Enlightened

Fred, congrats on the CS you are providing. I'm sending my two back tomorrow. These are absolutely great looking little "Killers". I don't have to have mine back ASAP as I have a few new toys to play with. Get those out that need them now. I'll anxiously await their return. I still want the two more I reserved on the next offering for Christmas presents, plus the AAA tubes for all if and when available.

Cowley

easilyled

Flashaholic

Hi Fred,

My Lil Killer arrived today but also DOA.

I've cleaned the tube and will see if a new battery solves the problem.

If not, I'll send it back if that's ok please.

Thanks,
Daniel/

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fred,

Hats off to ya. This is a stand up thing to do and to do so so publicly. I will be the first in the queue for one of these lights (plus the AAA tube and top cap:twothumbs) when you feel comfortable the problem has been resolved.

tricker

Enlightened
i didn't buy one of these.....but with the amount of customer service & support provided.....i kinda wish i had

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hell Fred, I think you're a pretty damn straight shooter no matter what your wife says!! :nana:Ha! On a more serious note, yeah, I want a Killer, as a matter of fact, I want BOTH of my Killers and I want to get on the list for a third!! This is a great little light and, once it gets its wings it'll fly just fine!! You're just up the road from me anyway (CT) and, if I don't hear from ya, I'll find ya!!:poke: I'm in for the run Fred, not to worry and I'll wager most others on this buy will stick around as well.

Karl

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't get one of these but they look awesome.

I hope you get everything sorted out and am very impressed with the way you handled one of life's curve balls.

Mark A.

Newly Enlightened
Fred,

Too bad about all the headaches on this small, custom light.

I give you high praise for your communication with your customers.

As before, PEEK sleeves can be very useful.

I will weight the options you have presented, and let you know later.

Again, kudos for your honorable business ethics.

Regards,

Mark A.

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Killer will make a comeback for sure, this is just a little pebble in the development process. To those lucky enough to have handled one of these( myself included) lemme tell ya its one awesome little bugger... My hats off to Fred for the CS and honesty, definitely one to to emulate...

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Killer will make a comeback for sure, this is just a little pebble in the development process. To those lucky enough to have handled one of these( myself included) lemme tell ya its one awesome little bugger... My hats off to Fred for the CS and honesty, definitely one to to emulate...

definitely. its as bright as an Arc-AAA, but with a 12 hour runtime (as opposed to the arcs 5), and like ~1/3 of the size... definitely a keychain killer!

Cowley

Newly Enlightened
Fred I will take the "reversed polarity converter and return your Killer a bit later" option on both of the Killers I returned today. Keep me on the sign up list for the additional Killers and AAA tubes. Don't beat yourself too hard on this. I look forward to getting the Killers back, but no big hurry.

Cowley

roga

Newly Enlightened
Hi Fred,
My Killer is on the way to you. It is a great light, very bright for it's small size and beautifully machined.
Take your time in building the reversed polarity converter and - if possible - return it with the AAA tube. There is no hurry for me.
Chapeau for your CS! You are a good man.:thumbsup:
Roland

aconite

Newly Enlightened
Hi Fred, thanks for being so frank with the issues around the Killer.
If it's a matter of insulating the sides of the battery cell from the rest of the body, I wouldn't mind taking delivery of the Killer as it is and putting a bit of cello-tape around the sides of my batteries before putting them in the Killer.

If it's your belief that that wouldn't rectify the issue then I'm happy to wait for the reverse polarity converter.

X_Marine

Enlightened
PM replied..

I might want on that slightly used list also, should be just about right timing for Christmas gifts. :twothumbs

No hurry Fred, and thanks for acting so quickly and professionally. :thumbsup:
X/BillyD..

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Fred,

Stand up CS, though to even say it is probably a little insulting, as no one ever thought for one second that anything else would be the case.
I'll take the new head option, what's a month in the world of custom lights? I have a feeling my Ti Surefire M6 X-HO 5XP7 Rechargeable will take way more than a month to get here.

Still super-excited for this light! I'll get it in the mail tomorrow AM.