Rechargable 6v Batteries

laserman2000

Newly Enlightened
Where can I get a rechargeble 6v lantern battery like this but rechargeble
t-62866_370625_full_1.jpg

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
open one up and replace the cells with 5x NiMH. This would most likely be cheaper then finding one already like it.
Jeff

rwolff

Enlightened
Another method that should work (lower capacity, but simpler charging circuit) is to use 3x sealed lead acid cells. Hawker Energy makes a "D" size (not drop-in interchangeable - connection is via twin tabs on top) 2.0 amp hour (and a somewhat larger 4.0 amp hour). You can definitely fit 3 "D" size into the space of a spring terminal battery (there are commercial adapters that hold 4 "D" cells and replace a spring terminal battery). Depending on how you pack things, you may be able to fit 3 of the larger cells, or 6 "D" size (2 parallel connected strings, each with 3 series-connected cells) into the space.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neat idea with SLA.. they are awesome if you don't have a problem with weight.. they are so hard to hurt and so easy to charge.

-awr

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i gutted a dead eveready with a plastic case and installed 4 f cell nicads.its a tight fit .

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I bet you could just about use 8 subC nimh cells in a series/parallel arrangement. My rough guess is you can put 18 of them in the space of a 6v lantern battery so 15 in 3 sets of series/parallel would give you 6-7.2v roughly. Also you don't have to have 6.0v as most 6v devices are designed to run off of 4.8v, so you could easily get by with 4 cells as snakebite did.

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
The last time I open a 6v battery like that was ....sheegh..20 years ago... anyway it had 4 cardboard lined 'F' calls, and it was potted with 'tar' looking stuff. LM2K, it is safe to open the battery casing, as long as you dont use certain tools, like... drills, hacksaw, axe... ya know, stuff like that. The rectangle box is just that, a box for the 4 steroid injected 'D' cells.
Jeff

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the sub-C idea.. you can get 3500mAH NiMH.. they are very cool 'squarish'... my drill batt. has 13 of them.. 60WH of storage!

-awr

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forget 8AA to 2D adapters, I wonder how many AAs will fit in a 6V sized box! Any $4 lantern also has a giant reflector and could be good for modding. As for SLA, you could simply buy a cheap "1m candlepower" rechargeable spotlight with a 6v SLA for $10, that probably already has a bigger reflector than a lantern, as well as an H1 or H3 bulb.