Recharging Energizer Ultimate Lithiums - Controlled experiments

Status
Not open for further replies.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
This topic is like putting a carseat in the front. You just don't do it.
My vehicle has an airbag cutoff just for that. Unfortunately, it does add an additional point of failure in a safety device. It's a feature that caters to people who don't know or care about crash test data and the front seat wrt child's car seats.

Good point, sir. This thread is exactly like that. I'm all for hacking, but knowing how to do it safely is like remembering to cut off the airbags 100% of the time without failure. Humans are lousy at 100%, even 99% is like walking on water.

daan_deurloo

Newly Enlightened
The OP did a controlled experiment..daan_deurloo is risking a LOT by trying it!

Untill it goes wrong at one time. I'd like to experience a venting lithium batteries. I MAY gonna do that at the last day of this year ( Outside ). I had vent Alkalines few times, but that's nothing compared to a lithium battery.

I also carry Lithium Ion batteries with me while travelling, but i do cover the Plus and minus pole to prevent short circuit when not in use.

Raysbeam

Enlightened
And you are risking that by trying that

Agree, what is the point of the experiment? They make rechargeable batteries, why not experiment with them. If you want them to vent you could just short circuit them and watch them blow. I'm not recommending this though.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Firecrackers are cheaper and safer. You can get hundreds for the same price. Hundreds.

RCM

Enlightened
Agree, what is the point of the experiment? They make rechargeable batteries, why not experiment with them. If you want them to vent you could just short circuit them and watch them blow. I'm not recommending this though.
NiMH vents hydrogen, lithium ion and primaries vent hydrogen fluoride, which when inhaled converts to hydrofluoric acid. If he wants to he can inhale it, but it can be deadly!

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Untill it goes wrong at one time. I'd like to experience a venting lithium batteries. I MAY gonna do that at the last day of this year ( Outside ). I had vent Alkalines few times, but that's nothing compared to a lithium battery.

I also carry Lithium Ion batteries with me while travelling, but i do cover the Plus and minus pole to prevent short circuit when not in use.

This is a poor choice. The potential consequences FAR exceed anything you might "learn" from doing such a thing. You're not Stevo, you don't have a 10 gabillion dollar insurance policy to replace your lungs. We are telling you not too as we don't want to see you hurt. Imagine a lifetime of hospital visits, nausea, limited travel, and planning out how you approach a flight of stairs. Thats just the lung part, not to mention fingers, an eye.... Ever try to pick up a chick when you have a trachea hanging out of your neck to help you breath? It doesn't exactly increase your odds of getting a her phone number.

Thats about it, I don't think a whole thread begging him not to do it is a good thing as it draws attention. I have a feeling that this is a desired result from some posters.

If he insists, fine.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
To the original OP:
There is Nothing controlled about this, you have the false security of calling it "controlled"
Reality will hit you really hard when the insurance company will not pay thousands of dollars of potential material damages or severe body injury. You need to stop this.

Last edited:

RCM

Enlightened
There is Nothing controlled about this, you have the false security of calling it " "controlled"
Reality will hit you really hard when the insurance company will not pay thousands of dollars of potential material damages or severe body injury. You need to stop this.
They especially won't cover it if they see this thread after we all told him to stop! Him doing it outside still isn't controlled enough! He needs a lot more then that!

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I'm just reading over this thread, and am unsure on whether or not this could be dangerous. Could somebody please post if this is a safe thing to do?

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I'm just reading over this thread, and am unsure on whether or not this could be dangerous. Could somebody please post if this is a safe thing to do?

Like you, I'm confused. If this is dangerous, I wish somebody would just say so.

I get these strange urges... I think I need to recharge a lithium primary.

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just, no... you never want to vent a lithium battery or a li-ion for that matter.

Anyway if you can recharge lithium primaries without them venting that would be great, but as the OP has mentioned (which is an old topic by the way) he has taken precautions when doing this experiment. If you are trying to do this in your basement with no ventilation or any other protection then do not do this. Ideally i would only do this if i had a hazmat suit and a way to safely disperse any venting.

Status
Not open for further replies.