Recharging Energizer Ultimate Lithiums - Controlled experiments

Status
Not open for further replies.

LedTed

Enlightened
I'm still stuck on the OP's assumption of dendritic shorts forming. How would dendrites grow without moisture, in the tube of a backfilled battery? Wouldn't that half of the mechanism be missing?

Last edited:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like you, I'm confused. If this is dangerous, I wish somebody would just say so.

I get these strange urges... I think I need to recharge a lithium primary.
From what I understand, since they're not designed to be recharged, that the resting voltages increases. Perhaps part of this is the nature of someone who would try this, not just recharging non-rechargeables but OVERCHARGING at that.

From what I understand, the closer they get to kapow, the more energy they start holding as they prepare to fail catastrophically. Multiple cells in the circuit only compound the problem, dramatically.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Told him in your delorean?

Three years later, don't think he's been back. Agatha Christie, it's a mystery

I actually sprung for the current model. I didn't care for the 2025.

DMC-Concept-3.jpg

SemiMan

Banned
My, God! You'd think he was building a nuclear bomb or something!

Sung to the tune of .....Frozen Ghost, "Should I see"

--------------------------------------------------
Quoting Battery University as you discuss
What is right and wrong for us
You inundate us with your views
You take away my right to choose
--------------------------------------------------

It's almost laughable the pile on, most of whose "knowledge" in this matter is not much more than anecdotal and what they have read. I am not saying it's safe, but the OP did take precautions, and after the first one of two warning posts, nothing new was added and people just piled on.

.... I wonder how many of the "pile ons" fit into one of these "risk" categories

Smoke
Overweight
Ride a Motorcycle
Drive excessively over the speed limit

..... guessing at least 1.

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
SemiMan;4724289[/QUOTE said:
Overweight
Ride a Motorcycle
Drive excessively over the speed limit

..... guessing at least 1.

I fit in all 3, and I drive a DeLorean ( the last one is on a closed course for safety obviously ), still don't mess with recharging non recharbale cells. ( We are only about 3 years away from an alternate power source that was discovered by accident. It makes all batteries obsolete, flashlights have these power sources built in and are of a unibody design eliminating the battery tube. They also run indefinitely but the max lumens are limited to 1,000 due to power restraints by the new tech, they are working on this. If you think thats exciting you should see what eventually supersedes the LED....( I'd elaborate but don't wan't to ruin the surprise. )

Does the flux capacitor still need 1.21 gigawatt?

Flux capacitor? We are WAY past that. The 2025 version I saw uses nano tech, there aren't even wheels on it anymore thats why I went a little more classic with the "current" model. Basically the body of the car functions like the hover board only with nano sized magnetic "jets" that operate off the magnetic pull of the north and south pole.. They are completely self contained and in theory could run forever due to the lack of moving parts and limitless fuel supply ( this is the hardest part to explain but thats the simplest I can do . ) No need for engines or wheels. They're so small they appear like "paint" not that DeLorean would ever go that route. The stainless steel has been swapped out for carbontanium. You won't here about this for another 10 years or so but to put it very simply, it's essentially a carbon fiber hybrid with what they call nano Ti which is like an adhesive that holds it together. It's stronger than titanium or steel but the 2025 comes in at an unprecedented 150 pounds.... you can literally bench press it. The car can reach 0-88 MPH in approximately 1/16th of a second, but obviously the people inside don't respond so well, so they throttled it to a more comfortable 0-88 in 2.25 seconds. The main "engine" part for time travel.... The only way I can describe it is it's like a Blendtec.....there is no "fuel" for this specific part as it's powered by the exterior Nano jets, it's ruffly the size of the original iPod, the inside spins unprecedentedly fast...like really fast.... "They named it "SJ" after Steve Jobs....Apologies but I don't have any more particulars on how it exactly functions, Im not knowledgable enough to thoroughly explain that component. So if you think about it, it's like the opposite of the older DeLorean, the outside drives the inside SJ capacitor to bend time. Maybe next time Im there I'll grab a brochure but they are very picky with what you bring "back" so I'll try my best...

Morale of the story? DO NOT RECHARGE NON RECHARGABLE CELLS. THIS IS NOT SMART.

Last edited:

SemiMan

Banned
Diabetes will seriously injure or kill 1/10 to 1/20 of all Americans. I would worry a lot less about someone recharging non rechargeable batteries and more about what he eats or drives.... Both far more likely to injure or kill him.

This is the forest for the trees principle. Nitpick little issues and ignore big ones. It's a popular political tactic too :)

daan_deurloo

Newly Enlightened
I still do recharge alkalines sometimes if they are at around 1,35~1,4v. Lower then that will simply not work at all on my charger. Do they leak ? Most of the time not. Duracells do leak after a unknown time :). Others don't leak that fast. Charging alkalines to 1,9v ? yes that does work aslong you keep an eye on the battery temp. If it is warm ? then stop the charge.

Lithiums are no go :)

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
meh..... Im all done here.

This is akin to taking flaming shots of vodka at the bar..... :rolleyes:

I just get my fifth at the store and go home.

SemiMan

Banned
Reviewing your posts I don't believe you have added anything to the conversation. You being "done" is supposed to mean what?

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
\
It's almost laughable the pile on
.... I wonder how many of the "pile ons" fit into one of these "risk" categories.

Diabetes will seriously injure or kill 1/10 to 1/20 of all Americans. I would worry a lot less about someone recharging non rechargeable batteries and more about what he eats or drives.... Both far more likely to injure or kill him.

Reviewing your posts I don't believe you have added anything to the conversation. You being "done" is supposed to mean what?

Your insight and contributions are remarkable. 2 out of 3 posts you're trolling, the middle one is about as relevant to the topic as cat hair and as a general rule of thumb people usually leave sources to back up figures like that. I don't know what you're all butt hurt about today, but it's got nothing to do with me or the other posters in this thread.

Last edited:

SemiMan

Banned
Your insight and contributions are remarkable. 2 out of 3 posts you're trolling, the middle one is about as relevant to the topic as cat hair and as a general rule of thumb people usually leave sources to back up figures like that. I don't know what you're all butt hurt about today, but it's got nothing to do with me or the other posters in this thread.

Anyone can read what you added to the thread ForrestChump, which was just to parrot others and puff your chest. The point of being what?

Perhaps you did not even read the thread title, "...... Controlled Experiments". The Op went to great lengths to ensure safety of the experiment ... and yet you and others still felt the need to express your "uber" knowledge about the dangers, which the OP was obviously aware of given how he did the experiment.

I learned something from the OP ... didn't learn anything from you. Op was seeking knowledge (that's what experiments, even dangerous ones are for). I would expect that Energizer has done a ton of experiments on these batteries with a variety of chargers just to see what will happen. I imagine they have sat in a ton of NiMh/NiCd chargers and perhaps even NiZn chargers, though they are rare.

My posts at least sought to quantify the risk, which in the big scheme of things is very small compared to how most people go about their daily lives, and perhaps putting it into perspective should have been valuable for some even if not for you. I as well as a few others thought the "pile-on" was rather comical, and not in a good way.

I am sorry that you did not accomplish your goal of suppressing the op, and having everyone agree with you. Your disappointment was obvious when you stated, "meh..... Im all done here."

Have a good day.

To the op, contrary to what was posted, you actually could do a destructive tear down of the batteries, to see what the impact of discharge / charging is. Examination of the plates under a microscope would certainly be revealing, though I expect you would need more resolution and wavelengths than the hobbyist may have access to. Though based on others teardowns of these batteries (they are popular for lithium harvesting), the risk of flaming is low to none, I would still be careful in teardown ... outside, gloves/glasses. Painting respirators work quite well, and well not to the filtering of a gas mask, are quite effective and every orange and blue store has them.

I was prompted to do some research and there does seem to be work on lithium iron disulphide rechargeable batteries. Not ready for prime time, but certainly in the works.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone can read what you added to the thread ForrestChump, which was just to parrot others and puff your chest. The point of being what?

I am sorry that you did not accomplish your goal of suppressing the op, and having everyone agree with you. Your disappointment was obvious when you stated, "meh..... Im all done here."

Have a good day.

None of this makes sense to me.... and I rather not waste the time breaking it down for you. Your post to me was rude, your posts before that come off as arrogant and dismissive to other posters. I don't see the point of randomly putting people down when they post something Im not in total agreement with.....

I'm "chest puffing"......:rolleyes:

SemiMan

Banned
After let's see, 15-20 posts already pointing out it was dangerous, (necroposting at that -- 3 year old thread), you jumped in with that great bit of wisdom, "This topic is like putting a carseat in the front. You just don't do it.".

Somewhere along the way, I agreed with the sarcastic post that was made to the doomsayers that you would think he was making a nuclear bomb. I put into perspective that a large portion of the population does "dumb" things that will absolutely cut their lives short, which on a risk scale is far worse than the original ops controlled experiment. This was not directed at anyone in particular, just the people piling on to the original assessment that this was dangerous.

You decided to take on my analogy by really adding nothing other than the risk is 0 if you don't do the experiment ... which adds nothing to the at that point 30+ posts saying it's dangerous ... which was already covered many times and years ago. Well guess what, the knowledge gain is also 0.

You consider my post rude. Guess what, after 20, 30 ... posts that say it is dangerous, adding more is rude and condescending, especially when adding nothing new to the conversation.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I got me a fine wife,... I got me an old fiddle..

When the sun's coming up I got cakes on the griddle,

Life ain't nothing but a funny funny riddle...

Thank god I'm a flashaholic boy!

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I got me a fine wife,... I got me an old fiddle..

When the sun's coming up I got cakes on the griddle,

Life ain't nothing but a funny funny riddle...

Thank god I'm a flashaholic boy!

Well I got fine wine......... and a new riddle,

What to do when the moon rises & you can't find your fiddle?

Life ain't nothing but a scary, lonely ride,

Man can hide from many things....except for his pride.

:hitit:

Status
Not open for further replies.