Recommend my first 18650 light?

bbb74

Enlightened
Long time forum member here with a collection of various AA flashlights and headlamps, mostly fenix, zebralight, and 4sevens, and a bit of a battery junkie. My brother has been talking me into getting into 18650's - always been scared to do it but I have to admit its hard to beat them when it comes to performance...

So I'm looking for recommendations... Looking to start out with a single 18650 light.

Purpose: Mostly just for walking with at night I'd say - so a mix of spot and spill is ideal. A crenulated bevel appeals strongly even though I'm unlikely to ever need it - may get used on overnight camping walks where I want an allrounder but the defence side appeals as I'll either be alone or just with my kids.
Battery: single 18650
Price: Less than $150
Output: Circa 1000 lumens. (real ones)

So far I've looked at
SC600 mkii - probably the best beam profile as far as spot vs spill goes (have played with my brother's) and good UI but its tiny and slightly ugly (I own lots of zebras don't get upset!). Bit small though.
Fenix TK22 and TK16. Apart from UI/buttons they seem much of a muchness? I really like the stainless steel bevel on the TK22 :) Really like the build quality and reliability of fenix - I have quite a few and they have been flawless. My brother and I have had a few zebralights die over the years after hard use, they aren't exactly tough.

What else is there?

When it comes to chargers is the xtar vp2 a good bet? Or what about the fenix charger? Not sure which cells to buy either.... Am prepared to buy quality.

Thanks for your thoughts :)

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before you go spending a lot of money, just dip you toe into the water. Get a Lumens Factory Seraph 6. Uses the XP-G2 emitter, with modes of 5%/30%/100%. At max it puts out about 400 lumens. Best of all, right now it is on sale for $35. Once you've used it for a while you will have a better idea of what an 18650 light can do, and can decide if you want something with more output. Best of all, if you do decide you want more power, you can just get a good D26/P60-style drop in if you don't want to get another body.

Any of the Nitecore or Xtar chargers would be good. I have used the Nitecore i4 for years, and now have the Xtar VC4. It is a four cell charger, and works great on both NiMH and Li-Ion cells.

For cells: Sony, Panasonic, eFest, Olight, Nitecore, Keeppower are all good cells. You should be able to pick up some good deals on a combo of charger and cells right now as well.

Xiphex

Newly Enlightened
From my personal experience and recommendations:

Light: Nitecore SRT7 - Perfect flashlight of my five flashlights , Every Day Carry, Multiple modes , Variable infinity brightness, 1x18650
Charger: Opus BT-C3100 v2.2 because a) Multi-Mode, b) Quad 1 Amp charging, c) you're eventually going to have more than one 18650 d) AC Adapter

Battery: Button-Top Protected 18650 -> 100% Compatible is Nitecore ; Alternative: What Timothybil listed

Question to All: I'm still looking up alternatives to Nitecore batteries like 2nd Party. Any pointers besides 'no XFire'?

uofaengr

Enlightened
These are 3 of my favorite 18650 lights, and they cover different sizes, UIs, and price levels.

Zebralight SC62(w): One of the most versatile lights out there and impressively small relative to output and features. Electronic side switch. Will probably be on sale soon when the 63 gets closer to release. More expensive but great quality and fit and finish. Very easy to EDC. Awesome floody beam.

Thrunite TN12: I only have experience with the 2014 model, but excellent quality for the price. The longest of these 3 lights. More of a holster (included) light. Forward clicky allowing momentary on with mode switching on a small side switch that's hard to find in the dark. Probably the throwiest of these 3 lights.

BLF A6: If a code can still be found for these for around $30, it's an awesome light for the price, though with the lowest fit and finish of these 3, nothing horrible though just don't expect perfection. Reverse clicky with awesome UI. The 3D and 5A tints are both very nice in my examples. Allows a nice full grip but still easily pocketable. For what they cost (and since I love a good reverse clicky UI) it's hard for me to decide between this and the SC62w as my favorite 18650 light.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a niteye ec26. 950 lumens, very compact for 18650.Nice beam
I'm liking it

Modes (18650): 2 / 75 / 240 / 950 lumens
Runtime: 250h / 30h / 8h / 2h

Dimensions:
Length: 3.9 inches
Body diameter: 0.87 inches
Head diameter: 1.02 inches

Last edited:

creegeek

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore P12GT is a great light, good mode spacing, simple UI, memory, no parasitic drain.

Jose Marin

Enlightened
+1 on tim's suggestion on sc62. They'll probably be on sale soon because they are getting updated. Totally worth the money

bbb74

Enlightened
Nitecore srt7 looks good as well. How reliable are those selector rings though?

Lots of recommendations for sc62 - why that over a sc600? Slightly smaller package? But less ability to get rid of heat? Just worried they are too fragile? Does a sc62 or sc600 have dual springs for the battery ie one at each end?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
SRT7 actual output is nowhere near 1000 lumens. The SRT smart ring is amazing though. Had both the SRT6 and 7 since they came out. Have had zero issues with the rings on either. I have over $12000 in LED lights all the greatest hits and some misses from over the last few years. Thrunite makes lights as high quality as anyone else and charge 30% less on average for their smaller lights. Thrunite is about to release 2 lights that are going to be the next two I buy. 1st is the XP-L HI TN4A 4xAA stubby and the 2nd is a micro USB rechargeable version of the TN12 the TC12. TC12 will have an XP-L HD emitter. TC12 will out throw all but the Nitecore P12GT in the single 18650 cigar tube size high output light class. The TC12 beam profile should have a fat hotspot with brighter than average spill.

There are sooooo many different 1x18650 lights of all sizes and shapes to choose from out there it is mind boggling. How portable do you want it to be? How far do you want it to throw? What kind of beam profile do you want? Defined and concentrated or just bright diffuse short range spill? As for what 18650 the new 3500mah 10amp NCR18650GA based cells dont even break a sweat under 1000 lumen output and have next to zero voltage sag under high output giiving most performance possible out of most 1x18650 lights.

Zebralight makes amazing lights. All super portable, all potted electronics with above average build quality. My NW SC600 MkII is bright as HELL. The ZL user interface is very very well done. Lots of clicking involved though. The new SC600 MkIII has 15 modes and requires unprotected 18650's that are exactly 65mm long. ZL's gt hot quick but have amazing thermal regulation. They are expensive though.

Ive got the mid sized lights like the TK22, SRT7, MH27, M23 etc. They are all good lights but not exactly pocket friendly. For a 1x18650 first light that you can just slip and clip in your pocket I strongly advise considering what kind of beam you want then either going for the P12GT or waiting a couple weeks for Thrunite to release the TC12. Eagletac TX25C2 is another outstanding small portable 1x18650 light as is the Nitecore MH20. Good luck

Rafael Jimenez

Enlightened
Malkoff MD2.
Made in USA so you have lifetime service in case you need it.(unlikely)
Uses 1 18650,
Super well made and reliable.
High/Low option.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
.....Nitecore has had a long and notorious history of inflating their ANSI claims. In 2015 they really seem to be getting it together though. The best SRT7 review on any light forum is here in the reviews section done by Selfbuilt. Selfbuilt has all the testing equipment and testing software etc and his effort to get the most accurate results possible are head and shoulders above even most light makers themselves. SRT7 on an 18650 puts 780 lumens OTF. On 2xcr123's it shoots to 860/870.

Any light maker can say they test to ANSI standards but there is no enforcing entity other than individual reviews done across the forums. Some companies have better reputations when it comes to meeting published ANSI claims or coming very close to them. Fenix for example has a stellar reputation for testing out to published specs or better across the forums. Nitecore puts a lot of money into marketing. Big numbers sell lights and NC published essentially false claims on many of their lights since they began. Some lights test out to spec most didnt. NC has really stepped up in 2015 though although their marketing claims are still a touch sketchy. For example they originally advertised the new P12GT at throwing 33k CD then not long after released changed it to 25k CD which tells me they are paying attention to flashaholic independent reviews across the forums.

I knew when I bought the GT it was not going to throw anywhere near 33k CD estimating 25k CD at the most then they changed the numbers. I still love the GT I never thought I would see this kind of throw out of that small of a reflector.

Thrunite has tested out across the forums to be very accurate in their published ANSI specs on top of most of their lights being much cheaper than their counterparts. I could list dozens of lights that would make a great first 1x18650 it all comes down to what do you want the light to do? The capabilities of 1x18650 lights are far and vast. 18650 technology has just kept on improving. Are you willing to belt carry a large reflector 1x18650 light? Etc..

Get a good charger. I highly advise the Xtar VC4. You mentioned you are considering the TK22 and TK16. Both are tanks. The TK22 has been around for years and is a very proven design. Both great starting points. Try looking at some 1x18650 Eagletacs. Ive got a few. ET user interface is usually a head twisting UI though but they make great lights. By all means post any questions here we will do out best to give you the best advice...

bbb74

Enlightened
Thanks celticcross, good to know which specs to believe, I like that fenix doesn't exaggerate its one of the reasons I trust them. I'll check out some eagletacs too.

Kind of wish I could get the zebralight ui and levels including moon modes but in a tank body like tk22 :)

Are the zebralight sc600 and sc62 built to take being dropped head first? Did this to another one of my zebras and it pushed the circuit board back on an angle and some modes won't work now. That said, the same light survived falling off a bicycle at 50kmh... :) but my brother has killed a few h5xx models through general work use as a lift mechanic. His sc62 he uses for mtb at night is still going fine.

Last edited:

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
Nitecore P12! It is a fantastic light with great mode spacing and high lumens. I have EDC'd it for a long time and used it every single day!