• Yes, it's taboo bigtime

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • No, go for it, it's no big deal

Votes: 53 81.5%

• Total voters

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Roomie Lovin'....Taboo or not?

It all depends on where your head is at. And hers. Don't get hung up on advice based on generalizations. Many years ago I used to date a woman I worked with in a place that had a policy that stated that there was to be no employee fraternization. My job was in a very sensitive position (both of our jobs were) and I was concerned about what effect the relationship could have. I ended up talking to my supervisor (who was also her supervisor) and she said that it was a stupid rule and that we all worked so hard and so much that we might never even have the chance to meet someone OUTSIDE of work.

That made a lot of sense to me. Life is short, complex and messy. Don't pass up anything that might be a once in a lifetime relationship. Generalizations are just...generalizations.

In the interest of total disclosure, I guess that this is the place where I should add that my supervisor also happened to be the woman's mother...but I still think that she was right, anyway. :D

Last edited:

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast

My motto... GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!!. In this case it should end go home...alone.

You never know. As someone else said... she could be your missing link to complete your chain... so to speak.

Curtis.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

We need beamshots!!!!

EDIT: :lolsign: LOL! WTF!!!! Wrong thread! H a ha ha ha:huh2:

Honestly I was trying to post elsewhere but don't know how I posted here by mistake, go out for a while and see what happens, remember that the good ones are like PD's on BST, they dont last long!!!

Last edited:

LaserFreak

Enlightened

AlexGT said:
We need beamshots!!!!

EDIT: :lolsign: LOL! WTF!!!! Wrong thread! H a ha ha ha:huh2:

Honestly I was trying to post elsewhere but don't know how I posted here by mistake, go out for a while and see what happens, remember that the good ones are like PD's on BST, they dont last long!!!

LMAO!!! I was gonna say, exactly what KIND of beamshots are we talking about here? I could get a shot of the headlights, but I don't think the beams are too visible!!

LaserFreak

Enlightened

metalhed said:
I'll bet the food was good too....:laughing:

Hahaha!! Okay guys, let's keep this clean...I know I contributed, but we're starting to go in the wrong direction. I still want opinions and votes on this so let's try not to get this thread closed.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast

Whoa, only spoken to her a few times and considering dating her? Get to know her first! Ask her out for coffee or something, you already know she goes to Starbucks. Ask her if she wants to carpool with you while grocery shopping(don't laugh, this works) or make dinner for her. This is like going into a laboratory and mixing beakers of random chemicals together. You might get something stable, or you might lift the roof off. Good luck!

Cheers. :buddies:

uz2busmc

Newly Enlightened

Dating the roomate is usually bad juju, even if you think that you would not see each other that much if it ended badly, still not good idea. You would find this out about the FIRST time you brought another girl over after you and the roomie broke it off.

If you are going to try and do it, I would lay back for a while, she's not going anywhere - she's a roomate. This is the perfect time to sit back and observe, see her little habbits, interests, and demeanor without actually commiting your time.... this alows you to see if you are compatable before you jump in. If she is cool peeps you can make yourself more available or move in ( knowing that the cosequences are still possibly there ) or if she turns out to be psycho - you can say " Damn, that was a close one " and then look elsewhere, without being caught up in the drama that I can assure you, you do not want.

LaserFreak

Enlightened

uz2busmc said:
Dating the roomate is usually bad juju, even if you think that you would not see each other that much if it ended badly, still not good idea. You would find this out about the FIRST time you brought another girl over after you and the roomie broke it off.

If you are going to try and do it, I would lay back for a while, she's not going anywhere - she's a roomate. This is the perfect time to sit back and observe, see her little habbits, interests, and demeanor without actually commiting your time.... this alows you to see if you are compatable before you jump in. If she is cool peeps you can make yourself more available or move in ( knowing that the cosequences are still possibly there ) or if she turns out to be psycho - you can say " Damn, that was a close one " and then look elsewhere, without being caught up in the drama that I can assure you, you do not want.

Hmmm....another good point. She seems like good peeps for now...then again, I've only spoken to her twice. If I decide to test the waters, though, being that she's new in town, I don't want to lose my chance, if there is, in fact, a chance.

I wish finding someone special was easier...none of this game playing and guessing BS.

One thing is for sure..I'm definitely going to try to get to know her better. She wants to check out the association clubhouse, but in order for her to get in, she's either got to wait for two pieces of mail to come to her (to just prove her residence at the address), or she can simply ask me to sign her in as a guest.

I'm hoping she asks me to get her in soon..........

Samuel

Enlightened

bwaites said:
We definitely need some :kewlpics: if we are to give you much good advice!!

In other words:

This thread is useless without pics!!:grin2:

Bill

HEAR HEAR !!!

thumb_thisthreadisworthlesswithoutp.gif

and,

id_hit_it.jpg

but I can't, so I'd need to live vicariously through you... :D

Last edited:

uz2busmc

Newly Enlightened

Laserfreak,

Sounds to me like you have made up your mind:sold:, you're gonna try it, just hasn't been put in those words. Well, good luck!

Let's move along fellas, there's nothing more we can do here....

LaserFreak

Enlightened

Poll Results: Roomie Lovin'...Taboo or not?
Yes, it's taboo bigtime 6 votes at 23.08%
No, go for it, it's no big deal 20 votes at 76.92%

Well, out of the 26 people who voted (as of the time of this particular reply,including myself) it seems the general consensus (SP?) seems to think that, although it may have some undesireable reprocussions if a relationship were to develop, then fail, an attempt may be warranted...or at least worth investigating a little more.

Maybe MTV's "The Real World" has had an effect on people's opinions on this matter. (I seem to remember an episode or two where some of the roomies wanted to get involved with one another--not that I really WATCH that show)

I remember letting one girl (who was slated to be a roomie) know that I was interested in her, and she was actually quite offended by the idea because we were to be roomates. Since then, I had always thought that roomie lovin' was taboo.

I posted this poll on two different forums, this one and another forum dedicated to The New Left (Kyle Cook from Matchbox Twenty). I am quite happy with the response I got from this (with exception to the TNL board, which has been declining in activity ever since Adam Gaynor left MB 20 and the remaining members had gone on to solo projects).

Thanks to everyone that offered their votes and opinions on the subject!

MODS: Please keep this open so that others may still vote and offer opinions, and so that I can post a picture of my roomie as soon as I get it. Also so that I may post updates if and when they occur.

Last edited:

MrTwoTone

Newly Enlightened

LaserFreak said:
We've just recently had a new roomie move into the house and, wow...she's very attractive. The first time I met her she had a huge smile on her face as she introduced herself to me, and just last night, I ran into her at the local Starbucks with a friend of mine, as we were all talking, I noticed she seemed to make more eye contact with me then with my friend. I kinda get the feeling she might be attracted to me...I know I'm definitely attracted to her.

I've heard so many people say that getting romantically involved with your roomate is a BIG no-no...honestly I don't see what's wrong with it.

What's your opinion?
A smart fox doesn't eat his chickens too close to home,if you know what I mean.

Flakey

Enlightened

Beamshots please ..... :lolsign::lolsign:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast

If we had pics, we'd definitely be able to make a better assessment of the situation. A lot of the advice given might not be as relevant if we knew just how hot she was. With pics, we'd be able to judge other factors, like, what is the likeliness of her having legions of drooling dudes waiting to pounce, or, waiting for their "big chance," which might help us to get a better idea of the whole breakup scenario. Someone mentioned that if you guys broke up, she might get a little crazy as soon as you started bringing other girls around, but if we could see that she obviously has her pick of the field, we might them feel that she'll handle it well and you'll have less to worry about. I don't know how you'll manage to get pics, though. If she catches you being all James Bond and stuff, I hope she finds it cute and endearing. (picturing you with one of the pen cams or similar....here's one--"Hey, how do like my new lapel-->click!"

Penguin

Enlightened

Do it. I did, I'm still in the relationship now ;) She's amazing... honestly, even if it ends badly, at least you know you tried.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

I normaly don't make the first move. And I always err on the side of caution. With that said everytime I've done that, I've missed out. I find out later they really DID like me a lot.... And then someone else has made a move and is when them..

Take my advice from my failures, do not wait for her to make a move, you can make a move and even if it seems like a big one, with your personality(like mine) it really isn't a big move, and she won't be offended. Then from her responses you can figure out if she is interested in you "for real" or not.

Don't be upfront or blunt like "let me take you to a romantic dinner" lol. But be like "hey want to go do this" Spur of the moment stuff. If she says she can't but still is happy/smiling around you that's a good sign and just say ok well how about tommorow?

And always smile back!!!!
And go for it, don't think about what if down the road we break up. That's thinking too far a head!!!!!

Go for it!! :)