Rovyvon Aurora A2

johndoe03

Newly Enlightened
any good reviews on this one ? 550 lumens ..wow . this could be our next keychain carry .depending on reviews .
how long have these been around?
i been out the loop for awhile so i dont know how long this been available . we are looking to replace a ultratac k18 .after a year of use were are having problems with it .first it just wouldnt work .then i pulled the head and re flowed the solder on the + side of the led and it came back to life .but now its killing the battery while not being used (i think) (testing that theory now)

so anyway we are looking for high power keychain carry replacements . we like stainless and nothing over a aaa battery

moses

Enlightened
any good reviews on this one ? 550 lumens ..wow . this could be our next keychain carry .depending on reviews .
how long have these been around?
i been out the loop for awhile so i dont know how long this been available . we are looking to replace a ultratac k18 .after a year of use were are having problems with it .first it just wouldnt work .then i pulled the head and re flowed the solder on the + side of the led and it came back to life .but now its killing the battery while not being used (i think) (testing that theory now)

so anyway we are looking for high power keychain carry replacements . we like stainless and nothing over a aaa battery

I got 3 on for Christmas gift giving - but not before testing them out. yes, legit 550 lumens in my opinion. Get the A6 with the clear body that glows. It has a usable side body led at 4 lumens if you get the white one. Supposedly run 10 hours at that brightness. Good for in tent or night light use.

This really takes the cake for small, light, functional light. Amazing how technology has progressed from the earliest days of CPF when I was a member.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
The low-high-medium mode sequence is something that would deter me from buying this light. I prefer low-medium-high.

I do like that it comes with a clip.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The A5 glows in the dark. It also has white side lights (one level) and red constant or flashing (beacon). It is low-medium-high-strobe.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
The A5 glows in the dark. It also has white side lights (one level) and red constant or flashing (beacon). It is low-medium-high-strobe.

I definitely prefer that mode sequence. Do you have to go through strobe? Or can it be avoided?

Jay30

Newly Enlightened
I definitely prefer that mode sequence. Do you have to go through strobe? Or can it be avoided?

Strobe is in-line when cycling in the current UI. Only way to avoid it right now is to turn the light off and on again. A6 is the way to go for now since it's currently the only model with 219C - slightly less lumens but much better tint and CRI.

A5 and A6 share the same UI:

L-M-H-Strobe (click to cycle)
Triple-click for side leds (click to cycle)
Double click on
Long press off, or click-off if on for over 1 minute
Press-hold from off for momentary high

All the other Aurora models share the other UI (L-H-M-Strobe, long press on/off or click-off if on for over 1 minute). No mode memory for either UI.

RovyVon is supposedly working on offering 219C in more models, as well as a revised UI later down the line.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the additional UI info on the A5 and A6. I think that I could tolerate this, sinc strobe can be avoided by cycling power.

johndoe03

Newly Enlightened
one the fence about this light . it looks more like a spill beam ,we like a thrower .something with a deeper reflector .wish there was a local store that had good offerings to go compare beams .

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up the A5 -- the one with the white and UV sidelights. My one note is about the UV sidelight -- it does not fluoresce the strip in a $20 bill or the urine in my cat's litterbox (Conway S2 UV showed both were there). Wrong wavelength? Too dim? Even held almost directly against the strip, no fluorescing. I'm going to check to see if there's any use for the UV at all, perhaps it will charge up GITD items better/faster?

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if it loses some of the UV by having to shine through the GITD material? It could be the wrong wavelength as I have a different keychain light with UV that doesn't work well.

I picked up the A5 -- the one with the white and UV sidelights. My one note is about the UV sidelight -- it does not fluoresce the strip in a $20 bill or the urine in my cat's litterbox (Conway S2 UV showed both were there). Wrong wavelength? Too dim? Even held almost directly against the strip, no fluorescing. I'm going to check to see if there's any use for the UV at all, perhaps it will charge up GITD items better/faster?

Cemoi

Enlightened
RovyVon is supposedly working on offering 219C in more models, as well as a revised UI later down the line.
It is available, for example the A5x (upgraded) is now available with a choice of Cree XP-G3 or Nichia 219C emitters.
It says to have "improved PWM" (but not "no-PWM") and mode memory for the main light (I don't like it) but not for the side light (which would have allowed direct access to Red light in order to preserve your night vision): you need to go through "white low" then "White high" first before reaching red at last :(

Cemoi

Enlightened
Thanks TheOdore, great review which points out the steps backwards. Let's hope Rovyvon will read this thread...