Rovyvon Aurora A24 Ti first impressions/mini review

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey folks, it's been a long time since I've been an active member here, but a recent acquisition has refreshed my old flashaholic tendencies ;). This light isn't perfect, but it is pretty awesome. Easiest way for me to do this is a good ole' pro con list:

Pro: Very nicely machined TITANIUM (drool) body. Instant momentary access to 1000 lumens. Silent switch with good action. Intuitive UI with well-spaced brightness levels and double click prevents activation by accident. Micro-Usb Rechargeable with a user replaceable (though proprietary) Lion battery. Great deep carry pocket clip. TIR lens geared toward even, smooth hotspot over throw for EDC. Real moonlight mode great for reading. Good EDC size packs more punch than a keychain light while still being very pocketable. Tail standing is possible. Great value considering quality, titanium.

Neutral: Side mounted switch- some might prefer a tail switch. I don't mind this as it is perfectly positioned under my thumb when I pull it out of my pocket from a clipped position.

Cons: Micro USB port is recessed enough to be considered semi-proprietary. The cable it ships with works, but all of my existing ones don't. Battery capacity is a little small for the size, but at least mitigated by rechargeabilty. Would REALLY like moonlight mode to come before SOS/Strobe; 4 fast clicks is annoying to access something I use pretty often and 3 clicks is easier. Also would like Strobe to come before SOS and be a faster frequency, but not that big a deal. Tailstand could be much more stable. Clip isn't removable because of glued screws (though I wouldn't want to leave it off, but if you had to take it off to rebend it...)

Overall, so far I love this light and it's rekindled my halcyon CPF days of the early 2000's!

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
congrats on your new light, and thanks for sharing your impressions

there is a review here

and a tutorial on replacing the LED here
(you have to scroll down to get past other lights being modified)

Thanks for your reply Jon, great in depth review of the aluminum version. The review mentions PWM; I'm not sure if the Ti version is different but it states on Rovyvon's website that the A24 is constant current, and that's what it looks like to me. I'll also mention that this is a Cree emitter and while the tint isn't bad, I can detect some blue rings in the beam that I believe is more obvious because of the TIR and would be lessened by a reflector, but it's not a biggie for me. We both agree on that 4 click moonlight mode; honestly that's the biggest negative of the light and I'd love to see that changed in a future version. If you have to switch out the electronics with the battery, could the UI be potentially updated this way? Btw, while a spare battery is an add on when buying the light direct from Rovyvon, I don't see an option to buy one solo. If anyone has a link, let me know. It's been fun EDCing pocket sun again.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have to switch out the electronics with the battery, could the UI be potentially updated this way?

no, UI cannot be changed
I have not seen the A24 in person, I dont know what is involved with battery replacement.

good to hear you dont notice any flickering (PWM is only one kind of flicker, some constant current lights also produce visible flicker.. but if you dont notice, then it does not matter)

glad you are happy with the light!:)

Pocket Sun IS Fun!

boo5ted

Enlightened
I've had mine for a few weeks and love it. Either the Aurora or the Ti Tool AA is in my pocket each and every day.

49386861908_5d4766bba1_z.jpg

49387524547_2895a8a6c0_z.jpg

Latest posts