Sanyo announces Eneloop Pro and Eneloop Plus cells

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thomas Distributing is now carrying the Eneloop XX.

Not sure if that means the US version will be XX or if they got them through a European distributor. Not cheap at ~ $21, but better than amazon.

Last edited:

flame2000

Enlightened
That's a high price to pay for getting the latest Eneloop Pro batteries! :)
I just picked up 8pc of Eneloop XX for $37 (including shipping) from eBay, seems like a better deal.

Eismagier

Newly Enlightened
There's no difference. Both are rated 2400 mAh minimum, 2500 typical.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first google of this xx cell told me 1500 cycles. I thought for a moment that I found my perfect cell. 500 cycles isn't good, unless you could actually get 500 deep cycles. I read most people with smart chargers are only going to get 100 to 200 cycles. To get to 1000 you need only charge to 85 percent, use every day, and only draw out at .1 C or some such low number.

To name them the triple x would hurt their sales as many adult filters would kick in. I think the double is appropriate since we are only seeing a little nipple, which explains why these hit Europe before the US.

kodi

Newly Enlightened
Actually I have a pair of XX which are more than 500 cycles. Yes - I was purposely charging them 0.5A and discharging 0.75A with 2 hours brake between cycles. The main problem with charging them is termination - some chargers (like BC-900 with v27 software) have problem with termination of these cells, overcharging them. Good smart chargers and dedicated ones (I was using iChargers with custom defined dV detection for this test) should give you over 500 cycles. This pair still has capacity over 1900mAh.

Wrend

Enlightened
So you're saying you tested them and put them through more than 500 cycles? At the rates you mentioned, that's over 6 months worth of cycling the cells strait (with the 2 hour resting period only after both a charge and discharge or discharge and charge cycle, more if they rested between each phase), while taking into account their diminishing capacity down to 1960mAh (80% capacity).

Either way, I don't think this accurately reflects their more common uses, shelf aging, and real world application cycle life expectancy.

I still prefer the "1500" cycle "2000" mAh Eneloops, which should have a cumulative lifetime capacity total of about 2.4 times that of the XX cells. I'll take the 2.4x cumulative capacity of the "1500" cycle Eneloops over the 1.25x per use capacity of the XX cells.

Last edited:

kodi

Newly Enlightened
Actually my job is to test different types of equipment - various types of energy sources as well. And believe me - Eneloops XX were easy. One company requested a test of 15000 cycles (fortunately - the future environment of those cells required to be discharged at up to 20C and charged at up to 10C, so the test could be done a little faster ;) )

Regarding the shelf aging - eneloops in general are one of the top cells regarding this parameter.

Battery Guy

Enlightened
My own storage test "proved" that after 4 months the Sanyo 2700 still has around 100mAh of capacity compared to the XX. 2100 (S2700) vs 2000 (XX).
From the info provided by Panasonic/Sanyo we finally know what kind of remaining capacity we should expect after a year. 1250mAh for the 2700's after 1y is decent.

But consider that the self discharge rate of a conventional NiMH cell will increase with use as the metal hydride alloy corrodes, releasing manganese into the electrolyte. Manganese compounds build up in the separator and produce high resistance short circuits that greatly increase the self discharge rate.

The eneloop metal hydride alloy does not contain manganese, and therefore the self discharge rate should not increase with usage.

Cheers,
BG

Battery Guy

Enlightened
Actually my job is to test different types of equipment - various types of energy sources as well. And believe me - Eneloops XX were easy. One company requested a test of 15000 cycles (fortunately - the future environment of those cells required to be discharged at up to 20C and charged at up to 10C, so the test could be done a little faster ;) )

Regarding the shelf aging - eneloops in general are one of the top cells regarding this parameter.

Kodi

Can you clarify that statement? 20C discharge would be approximately 50 A, and 10C approximately 25 A. The eneloop and eneloop pros might be capable of very short pulses at these discharge rates, but I have a hard time believing that anyone would cycle these cells at that rate, or that 15000 cycles would be possible under any conditions other than limited SOC window cycling.

BG

kodi

Newly Enlightened
Kodi

Can you clarify that statement? 20C discharge would be approximately 50 A, and 10C approximately 25 A. The eneloop and eneloop pros might be capable of very short pulses at these discharge rates, but I have a hard time believing that anyone would cycle these cells at that rate, or that 15000 cycles would be possible under any conditions other than limited SOC window cycling.

BG

The test for those 15k cycles was for another company (and different chemistry of cells). Sorry for the confusion :whistle: