SF Bay area get-together for august???

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
gadget_lover said:
Hey, Jim,

If charcoal, do you have a light bright enough to start it???

Daniel

[/ QUOTE ]

I have one bright enough to give the illusion of starting it. I think what we really need, in the way of a light to start the grill, would be one of those old fashioned carbide miner's lights. That would for sure get it going.

Unfortunately, I've got everything (xenon, halogen, flourescent, tritium, led, hid) but carbide.

Okay, Daniel, here's the challenge - you've got two weeks to hit the surplus stores and come up with a carbide lamp for the get together. You always wanted a light that nobody else had anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I'd take you up on your challenge, Jim, but there's not a surplus shop within 20 miles of here.

I could probably use a 4 or 5 inch magnifying glass with your HID bird fryer to
light charcoal. I'd have to start with paper and move up from there, but that's not the point.

Oh, BTW: I'll be there too.

Daniel

unnerv

Enlightened
Wow if this keeps up we might have as many as we did the last time we met at my house. I think that was 15+ people that time. Looks like we are going to have a similar turnout. Can't wait to see everyone and all their new toys.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Boy Patrick, your offer of dogs and burgers has got 'em signing up in droves. You must be some gormet chef. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

unnerv

Enlightened
Yeah who would have guessed a little BBQ would be such a good incentive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Since I'll be doing the shopping for the event next Wednesday, I would like to start a head count so I know how many dogs and burgers to buy. This should give everyone time to figure out if they can make it or not.

So far the list looks to be:

unnerv
Kevin
ho-yin
gadget_lover
PaulB
JimH
Wayne
Cindy
McGizmo
Double A
keithhr

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Daniel,

Does your Prias have voice assisted GPS navigation? If so, can I borrow it for *umm* say 6 mo's to do some geocaching. I've been very stale and would like to get back into it.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
dat2zip said:
Daniel,

Does your Prias have voice assisted GPS navigation? If so, can I borrow it for *umm* say 6 mo's to do some geocaching. I've been very stale and would like to get back into it.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wayne, I know you post was in jest, but I just couldn't resist.

Voice assisted GPS are terrible for geocaching because they don't allow you to input a lat/long as a destination.

On the other hand they are fantastic for getting from where you are to where you want to go in your car as long as it's a point of interest (in the database), and address, or some place you can point to on a map.

I love my GPS's (handheld and voice assisted).

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Yes, wayne, I do use a Garmin Street Pilot III (SP-III)for voice assisted navigation to get to Patrick's house. How's that for keeping it on topic? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I use both my GPSes for Geocaching. The Garmin GPS line allows you to add a way-point via the lat/long, then to route to it. This will bring you to the end of the street nearest the cache. Once that put me at the best spot for entrance to a park. I would have parked over a mile and an half down hill if I did not have the SP-III.

After I park the car (or truck) is when I grab the e-map for the off road part. It also lets me input a waypoint. It's pretty accurate. It even tracks my path going in I go so I can backtrack to get back to my car or truck. I could take the SP-III, but it's quite a bit heavier and bulkier.

That said, I've only hit a small handfull of caches. I'm not a great hiker, so they have to be close to the road for me to even try.

BTW, there is a guy who uses his Prius off road on a regular basis. He is a photographer who has no qualms about heading off through a meadow or up a dirt road to catch a particular view.

Daniel

jpeg

Enlightened
DOH!!! *#@$&$#^
I misread Patrick's invite...
I marked it on my calendar for the 18th...
I'm not going to be able to make the 14th. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Grrrr... (it's a family thing... I couldn't fake my own death to get out of it...)
...I'll have to see y'all at the next one...
-J

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
John, All you hve to do is convince the rest of your family to celebrate THEIR
occasion on the 18th. After all, you're free then <grin>.

Seriously, Sorry you won't be there We'll catch you next time.

Dan

unnerv

Enlightened
Too bad John, now your going to miss my Bay Area debut of the Luminator, my H&M Class 1 entry that I only missed the deadline for by two weeks. I am hoping that I'll be able to hold my own against a certain somebody's SF M6 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Seriously its too bad you can't make it, but at least with our group we seem to be getting together pretty regularly. See you at the next one.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
John, we'll miss you. How about if you fake your own death, then do a resurection - kind of like the second coming. Maybe they would let you come then.

Without a passenger, it looks like I won't have an excuse not to bring the animals - they always want to go anyway. They already heard there was going to be some kind of park or open area involved.

unnerv

Enlightened
Actually Jim, the BBQ will be in my back yard again. We might arrange for a trip up to a soccer filed if anyone wants to do some long shots before 10pm but they don't allow dogs on the field.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Patrick,

Are we meeting at 7:00 like last time?

If it comes in in time, I might have something to top the x990.

Lights since last get together: Tristar Phaser, DragonHID, DragonLED-9, FFII, a handy funky light, mods to an E1, and hopefully the reflector upgrade for the Trilight-3.

This should be really fun - I'm really looking forward to seeing your illuminator, McGizmo usually brings some very interesting stuff, and all the other new toys and mods that we haven't heard about yet from the other attendees.

Maybe, for a floor show, we can get Don to model his pink speedo
bellyemoticon.gif

Mouth already watering for gourmet dogs and burgers.