Should I return my green-tinted Quark X 123^2?

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Almost all 4Sevens lights are like this and they refuse to do anything about and talk to you like your stupid for worrying about it so I wont buy there stuff unless its the neutral or warm stuff.

Last edited:

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
I couldn't agree that "almost all" 4sevens lights are green. Out of my small sample (6 lights) I got one that was very green, one that was a bit green, one that was slightly green and three that were a very nice "white" white (note that the "white" ones were all purchased from CPFM secondhand after asking the vendors what tint the LED was).

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I test fire dozens of lights a week and still have not seen a green XPG in person. I consider it brand specific.
Have you tried any with the S2 bin LED. They seem to be the ones with the green problems. Limited run specific. Same limited run over many models.

1jono

Newly Enlightened
I couldn't agree that "almost all" 4sevens lights are green. Out of my small sample (6 lights) I got one that was very green, one that was a bit green, one that was slightly green and three that were a very nice "white" white (note that the "white" ones were all purchased from CPFM secondhand after asking the vendors what tint the LED was).

In my experience I agree that almost all 4Sevens lights are green to some extent. (Which i think is a poor show for supposedly quality lights!)

In actual fact the lights you bought new were ALL green to some extent.

The secondhand ones you bought were white but only because you specifically asked the seller before buying!
So really they could have been the only 4Sevens light that the seller had that were not green for all we know!

Last edited:

mshinvill

Newly Enlightened
I'm in the process of returning a 4Sevens Quark X 123-2 Tactical that I recently purchased from GoingGear. I really tried to get used to the greenish tint, but in the end I decided I couldn't live with it.

I noticed a few posts on the forums indicating that EagleTac goes to extra lengths to pick the emitters they use to avoid the green tint. After reading quite a few positive comments about their lights, I went ahead and ordered a P20C2 MKII XM-L from GoingGear (I still wanted to give them my business!). Thanks to their super quick shipping, I'm hoping to have the light in my hot little hands tomorrow!

Thanks,
Mike

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I've come to think that my 123 R5 does have a bit of green. Not enough to bother me thank goodness!

HOWEVER> for daylight use ie: inside a building or under a hood I find that my old Soldier P2D is actually better....

Click bump compared to Click bump bump bump and maybe even one more bump!

The Quark absolutely ROCKS around the house and at night when I don't need so much light!

Imon

Enlightened
I thought we finished all our pea soup :sick2:

I still own a old LED light with a Luxeon K2 LED that's green. Then the XP-G S2s came around ... now the R5s? My Quark 123^2 looks cool white to me - no hint of green. Then again, I bought it about a year and a half ago.

Danielight

Enlightened
I recently purchased a Quark MiniX-123 with XM-L T6. All of the negative comments about green tint caused some concern, until I actually started using it to walk my dogs at night. The greenish tint actually makes things look better in those circumstances. So my Q MiniX is a keeper.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in the process of returning a 4Sevens Quark X 123-2 Tactical that I recently purchased from GoingGear. I really tried to get used to the greenish tint, but in the end I decided I couldn't live with it.

I noticed a few posts on the forums indicating that EagleTac goes to extra lengths to pick the emitters they use to avoid the green tint. After reading quite a few positive comments about their lights, I went ahead and ordered a P20C2 MKII XM-L from GoingGear (I still wanted to give them my business!). Thanks to their super quick shipping, I'm hoping to have the light in my hot little hands tomorrow!

Thanks,
Mike

I've seen green in the few XM-L T6 dropins I've had, as well as in the XP-G R4 "neutral" drop-ins I've had. Unfortunately, too, I've got the same green gremlin in my new EagleTac D25LC2, which to me looks green on all levels except "turbo" when indoors. It isn't nearly as bothersome outdoors, though.

I've had a few other EagleTac neutral-tinted lights in the past, all I believe, using the XP-E emitter. Tints were great, no green, not too much yellow, not too brown like some warms. I've been reminded that unless the manufacturer is specifying the TINT Bin as well as the FLUX bin, even if you order a "neutral" or "warm" you really have no idea what you're going to get. I forgot this, having had all my neutral tint lights for awhile containing XP-E Q3 5As (which I really like) or something very close to it. To then get a "neutral" and find a big pistachio colored hotspot on the wall is really unnerving.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think I've been hit by the green tint ferry yet. My nuetral quark x aa looks yello, the hi cri looks almost orange but colors do look a lil better, And the rest are r4 or r5. I don't know if it'd bother me if it did, my tint preference changes with what ever my newest light is :D I'm Simple that Way :D

Farlark

Newly Enlightened
If anyone's curious, i ended up keeping the flashlight, and I'm glad I did. It's an excellent EDC light.

Some people have mentioned in other threads that high output emitters like the X-ML tend to shift green at lower output levels. So, ultimately it's something to be expected, and it isn't really noticeable at higher outputs anyway.

The alternative would be to have PWM for the lower levels, but I think I'd rather just stick with the green tint.

bfksc

Newly Enlightened
I've been reminded that unless the manufacturer is specifying the TINT Bin as well as the FLUX bin, even if you order a "neutral" or "warm" you really have no idea what you're going to get. I forgot this, having had all my neutral tint lights for awhile containing XP-E Q3 5As (which I really like) or something very close to it. To then get a "neutral" and find a big pistachio colored hotspot on the wall is really unnerving.
I've been fairly lucky I guess. I have 2 Quark XP-G R5 lights and both have a slight green tint on the lower levels, but not enough to bother me except on white wall tests. My wife has one for her own use, and I keep one around for general indoor/emergency use. I have a third Quark XP-G in Neutral White and it's great for outdoors with a mild yellow tint nicely suited for outdoors. I have just ordered a new Quark 123x2 XM-L Neutral White and I hope it has the tint I want - mild yellow for general outdoor use, if it's not the right tint, it'll be going back. My daughter has a cheap $15 Energizer 2xAA for her own use while camping or whatever, and even it has a nicer white than the 2 Quarks with green tint. I checked about a dozen of the Energizer lights in Home Depot and all of them had white beams. Go figure. So I won't tolerate a green tinted emitter from any vendor at $80 when a $15 cheapie does better.
:sick2:

budynabuick

Enlightened

Thanks,
Mike

FYI, GG will not issue rma for a tint issue. Hmm

Keith

salimoneus

Newly Enlightened
I have a distinct feeling we are all going to have to live with a greenish tint from now on.

Nope, just send it back. Why be stuck with something if you're not satisfied with it?

Think about it. If everyone just "lived with it" manufacturers would never improve their products and will simply continue to sell sub-par stuff. On the other hand, money talks, and if sales go down and/or returns go up, they have a good reason to do something about it.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Keith
If you're not happy with the light, you can always inform the dealer about it and ask for some suggestion. With my preferred dealers (HKE, etc.) there is no problem with returning a light if you're not happy with the product for *any* reason. You just have to pay for the return shipping costs.

4Sevens has a great service too.

mshinvill

Newly Enlightened

Keith

In my case, GoingGear took the light back with no questions asked. I did buy my EagleTac P20C2 from them to replace the Quark, so maybe that had something to do with it.

Either way, the folks at GoingGear are great to deal with. I try to buy all of my lights from them.

- Mike

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Should I return my green-tinted Quark X 123^2?

No. Trust me, you're going to want all that green. Even SureFire's next generation flagship EDC will have a green tinted LED. Not by accident either. Green was specifically selected to optimize the human visual range! And we're all anxiously waiting for it, cash in hand. It's definitely a feature, not something to complain about:

2mmw8r5.jpg

So GO GREEN or GET OUT!

salimoneus

Newly Enlightened
No. Trust me, you're going to want all that green.

Don't be a sucker and buy into the marketing hype so fast. Just because something is printed in someone's sales flyer doesn't mean jack squat.

The fact remains that flashlight tint is a very subjective thing, and one person may have a different preference than someone else. All eyes are not created equal. Go with what works the best for you, but do not assume that it works for everyone else.

For instance some people including myself prefer a nice neutral white with little color skewing, as they seem to offer the most effective illumination in various conditions. To my eyes and typical flashlight use, more white = more bright.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
I don't think Leon was serious - more like ironic/sarcastic (note the exclamation mark he added to the advertising BS).

Although in one respect their BS was true - my eye (and brain) is highly sensitive to yellowish-green tints, but not in a good way, I dislike them !

Latest posts