Should I return my green-tinted Quark X 123^2?

salimoneus

Newly Enlightened
I don't think Leon was serious - more like ironic/sarcastic (note the exclamation mark he added to the advertising BS).

Although in one respect their BS was true - my eye (and brain) is highly sensitive to yellowish-green tints, but not in a good way, I dislike them !

Ahhh, guess I missed that one, thanks :)

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
I recently got a new Quark AA. I've had my fill of green and it will be going back. I have three other 123 quarks. The original is a nice tint for me. The second one had a hint of green. The third one was quite green to me and I almost returned it. This new one is so green it makes me feel much better about keeping the last one. Why are these 'better' emitters? A little brighter? A little more run time? Who cares? They're freaking green!!!
I use these lights mainly for various types of repair work in the shop and home and also some outdoors use. I find the green somehow unsatisfying to my eyes. I can't explain it, but it's like my eyes can't focus as good with this particular shade of green and I need to bump it brighter than usual.
To add to my disappointment, this particular light is extra dim on moon mode. Is this a characteristic of the XP-G? On moon, it appears less than half as bright as my other 3 Quarks. I often use my lights to read tiny part numbers in a poorly lit store room. Moon mode has been plenty bright enough to read the part numbers on hand-held items, but this new light is uselessly dim for that purpose and I have to bump it up a level. Then my hand that's holding the part looks diseased from the green light, creeps me out. Ok, done ranting.

bodhran

Enlightened
I've noticed a little green when white wall hunting but the only light I've ever bought that was green in regular use was an Olight M20. Didn't even try to return it, just gave it away.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why are these 'better' emitters? A little brighter? A little more run time? Who cares? They're freaking green!!!
Quark X is a lot brighter. and theyve been on sale since fall/winter 2011 (-10%, -20%, -30%, holiday sales, and now stock clearance sales because of new logo and packaging). at full price i wouldnt buy the green Quark which i got. 30% off plus cpf discount, so i wont complain about the very green light.

i could have returned the light (like you're going to do) but at that sales price i have kept the green light.

Youre right, i (or we) only care about "runtimes and little brighter" on the paper when we place the order and need to compare with Fenix. Once we got the light, those numbers, lumens and runtimes are all forgotten.

Once we got the light, the paper (specs sheet) becomes unimportant and everything else which was NOT mentioned in the spec sheet becomes important: built quality, thin threads, greenish tint, the bores, beam profile and corona artifacts, manufacturing tolerances in the machining, ..

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
Quark X is a lot brighter. and theyve been on sale since fall/winter 2011 (-10%, -20%, -30%, holiday sales, and now stock clearance sales because of new logo and packaging). at full price i wouldnt buy the green Quark which i got. 30% off plus cpf discount, so i wont complain about the very green light.

I have a Quark X 123-2 Turbo besides what I mentioned above. It is quite green too, even on high, but it does not bother me. Primary use is outdoors and it's set to medium and max which minimizes the green. The tint really does not matter to me outdoors, it's just nice and bright and does the job well. For lesser light needs, this new AA just messes with my eyes.

HIDblue

Enlightened
Due to the old logo 4Sevens sale at goinggear, I picked up a Quark X 123^2 (XM-L) and a Quark 123^2 (XP-G), and side by side, the Quark XM-L does have a rather green tint to it while the Quark XP-G has a very nice cool white tint. I wish the XM-L had the same tint as the XP-G, but I don't really notice it though during actual use unless I'm staring at the beam against a white wall.

Regardless...very happy with the Quark 123^2 lights...much, much smaller than I expected. They are not much larger than my Jetbeam RRT-0, but provide much better run times. I installed the 4Sevens deep carry pocket clips on both and they pretty much disappear in my back pocket.

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
I just got the Quark-X AA2 Neutral (only my second modern LED light) and I love everything about it except the tint. Even without any other frame of reference it looked yellowish green to me. After whitewall comparison against my neutral white ZL H51w it really stands out. For me the ZL is very close to perfect. However I dont think the tint is that bad, hopefully outdoors the yellowy-green tint will be less apparent after everything turns green. If I thought I got a 'lemon' I'd return it but sounds like a lot or most have this tint, even the cools, so I'm not too worried about it.

ScottFree

Newly Enlightened
The only green tinted light I have is a Surefire G2X Pro which is green at 15 lumens but white at 200 lumens same as my G2X Tactical. Personally I don't really care as all the lights I own are working lights and tint is not my primary concern, but I can see how annoyed people can get.

Personally haven't bought a new light since a Surefire P2X Fury a couple of weeks back and in the few times I've used it the only comments I've had have been more along the lines of "Bloody Hell".

Last edited: