Show Us Your EDC Folder

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice! Are you planning to add the edge yourself or send it out?
Probably send it out. I need to phone Gerber, and see if they will do it, I think they will, and maybe for free. I think the whole reason that they didn't finish sharpening it is because of restrictive knife laws in some states. But last I looked, my state doesn't restrict knives or swords anymore, just shuriken, I think, LOL. Like there have been a lot of mass killings with shuriken. :rolleyes:

jz6342

Newly Enlightened
I like the pocket opener, what do they call it, The Wave, or something? I hate the disk thumb stud thing, though. I much prefer Kershaw's thumb stud they had on the Blackout, that is the Kershaw that I have had experience with. Ended up giving my plain edge one to one kid, and the half serrated edge one to the other kid. Now I'm Blackout-less. 😭 One of these days I'll see if I can find one on the bay. For now I'm rocking the Gerber Applegate-Fairbairn Combat Folder Double Bevel. Unsharpened false edge at present, but "one of these days" I'll have someone put an edge on the top. Actually, I am thinking of replacing it with something lighter weight, it is a chunk! But, it has good reach, and it will be a double edge someday. Plus the designers...well, you know! :ninja:
I wasn't sure about the Wave feature at first - I have a CQC9K that it just doesn't work well for me. I think its the size of the knife though as I have had great success deploying the blade almost every time I use it. I also didn't think I would care for the thumb disk (I'm a big fan of flippers, both assisted and not) but it works great and doesn't get in the way like I thought it would. I'm really digging this knife :love:

I've been carrying the Spyderco Salt 2. I started to like the Delica form and size after using a small Sebenza for a while, and the carry and utility of a smaller knife despite larger hands outweighs the weight and unwieldy form of a 4+ inch blade.

For various reasons, I wanted a highly rust-resistant knife, including dousing the knife in rubbing alcohol to disinfect, light food prep on the road (like when the sandwich place forgets to cut my kids' sandwich in half). It'll sit for a whole day in moist and possibly acidic conditions.

The only thing I couldn't come to like was the green FRN handles. I understand the yellow on other Salt series, but this green is 🤮. So I dyed it with Rit Sapphire Blue. I was trying to get it to a turquoise blue like the Caribbean ocean, but a short conversation with Mrs. Ninja distracted me just long enough to turn it a navy blue (I think the absorption rate is on a sigmoidal curve).

Anyway, here is what it looked like stock:
IMG_1102.jpeg

IMG_1101.jpeg

IMG_1100.jpeg

After dyeing:
IMG_1105.jpeg

IMG_1104.jpeg

IMG_1103.jpeg

Maybe it'll fade a bit after some use and washes. The darker color blends the DLC coated parts better. If I can find the silver clip, I'll swap it in to better balance the blade color.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unsharpened false edge at present, but "one of these days" I'll have someone put an edge on the top. Actually, I am thinking of replacing it with something lighter weight, it is a chunk! But, it has good reach, and it will be a double edge someday. Plus the designers...well, you know! :ninja:
If you give it to someone in their hands, you need to warn several times and make sure that people understand that the upper edge is sharpened. Once i gave a girl a double-edged knife when she urgently needed to cut something off. I warned that the upper edge was sharpened, but she did not attach any importance to this, and when she began to cut, she put her palm on top and pressed. Good thing it didn't cut too bad.

On the local market, I see several old SOG ~ 2005-2009 with VG10 steel - Arcitech san-mai, Spec-Elite I, Tomcat 3.0, Vulcan. Has anyone dealt with them, is their VG10 version more prone to brittleness or is it softer and crumple the cutting edge in work?

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry a Gerber EAB in stainless. It has served me well.
View attachment 49152
I'm following suit Poppy. The more I started to think about pocket knives and what I use mine for, I quickly realized that a little utility blade like this is prob best. Been carrying Ron's Utility Knife for a week or so. Love it. EAB arrives tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_3295.jpeg
    IMG_3295.jpeg
    824.4 KB · Views: 61

Poppy

Flashaholic
I'm following suit Poppy. The more I started to think about pocket knives and what I use mine for, I quickly realized that a little utility blade like this is prob best. Been carrying Ron's Utility Knife for a week or so. Love it. EAB arrives tomorrow.
That Ron's is much lighter than the EAB, so you may not like the weight of the EAB. The Ron's can't function as a money clip, so there's that. The Ron weights 0.8 oz. (without the blade) and the EAB 2.2 oz (they don't state whether that is with the blade or not)

For a few years I used a Gerber paraframe stainless pocket knife as a money clip. Each time I paid with cash, I pulled it off of the roll and laid it on the checkout counter. It always caught the eye of the clerk. Good or bad, I don't know. With the EAB, it's more of a glance.

Now I carry cash, as an emergency back up to my plastic, but I use plastic for just about everything. Even small purchases, like at the McDonald's window.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
That Ron's is much lighter than the EAB, so you may not like the weight of the EAB. The Ron's can't function as a money clip, so there's that. The Ron weights 0.8 oz. (without the blade) and the EAB 2.2 oz (they don't state whether that is with the blade or not)

For a few years I used a Gerber paraframe stainless pocket knife as a money clip. Each time I paid with cash, I pulled it off of the roll and laid it on the checkout counter. It always caught the eye of the clerk. Good or bad, I don't know. With the EAB, it's more of a glance.

Now I carry cash, as an emergency back up to my plastic, but I use plastic for just about everything. Even small purchases, like at the McDonald's window.
Yea I've had an EAB in the past so I know the size, weight, etc. Also fun to play around with the different blades you can get for them.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I've been carrying the Spyderco Salt 2. I started to like the Delica form and size after using a small Sebenza for a while, and the carry and utility of a smaller knife despite larger hands outweighs the weight and unwieldy form of a 4+ inch blade.

For various reasons, I wanted a highly rust-resistant knife, including dousing the knife in rubbing alcohol to disinfect, light food prep on the road (like when the sandwich place forgets to cut my kids' sandwich in half). It'll sit for a whole day in moist and possibly acidic conditions.

The only thing I couldn't come to like was the green FRN handles. I understand the yellow on other Salt series, but this green is 🤮. So I dyed it with Rit Sapphire Blue. I was trying to get it to a turquoise blue like the Caribbean ocean, but a short conversation with Mrs. Ninja distracted me just long enough to turn it a navy blue (I think the absorption rate is on a sigmoidal curve).

Anyway, here is what it looked like stock:
View attachment 46594
View attachment 46595
View attachment 46596

After dyeing:
View attachment 46597
View attachment 46598
View attachment 46599

Maybe it'll fade a bit after some use and washes. The darker color blends the DLC coated parts better. If I can find the silver clip, I'll swap it in to better balance the blade color.
I actually like that green. I haven't followed Spyderco for several years. Thought they got too big for themselves and were grossly overpriced.

Anyway, I was only familiar with the yellow Salt. I may have to check out this one.