Show your 12P/12ZM/12PM(T3,SRTH,or mod, NOT M4) !!

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine in today :D

P1010266.jpg

P1010271.jpg

No box or manuals with this one im afraid,
The O-Rings was dry as hell and the Gubber grip was hardened.
Lubed it up including the Rubber grips after i had slided them off same with the rubber switch cover.

Now,as new.
No dings no nothing. Perfect specimen.

I put some fresh SF 123`s in it and fired it up,and the beam is insane.
Cant wait to compare it to my M6.

I`ll keep it in my shelve and use the M6 for the real stuff.

Benny

Last edited:

cenz

Enlightened
Got mine in today :D

No box or manuals with this one im afraid,
The O-Rings was dry as hell and the Gubber grip was hardened.
Lubed it up including the Rubber grips after i had slided them off same with the rubber switch cover.

Now,as new.
No dings no nothing. Perfect specimen.

I put some fresh SF 123`s in it and fired it up,and the beam is insane.
Cant wait to compare it to my M6.

I`ll keep it in my shelve and use the M6 for the real stuff.

Benny

"12Z"!!! I have never seen that model sofar.. to Size15's : would you explain that version ?

Benny,

I think your turbohead is the original version that specially for N62 --- T62, and the beam must be tighter than KT4 w/ MN21, um.. I 'm also imagining how the beam from T62 head +MN21 is...

thanks your sharing

Size15's

Flashaholic
"12Z"!!! I have never seen that model sofar.. to Size15's : would you explain that version ?
There are two versions - the straight-bodied "P" and CombatGrip bodied "Z".
I'm not quite sure why SureFire added the "M" with the 12ZM and 12PM.
(there is no difference other than the etching AFAIK)
3P, 6P, 9P, 12PM
6Z, 7Z, 9Z, 12ZM
There are plenty of odd models not quite fitting the general 'rules' so I've always chalked the "M" up as one of the many ineffable things about SureFire.

Benny,
I think your turbohead is the original version that specially for N62 --- T62, and the beam must be tighter than KT4 w/ MN21, um.. I 'm also imagining how the beam from T62 head +MN21 is...
That's right - it is the T-62 (note there is a "-" in T-62) - the so-called Threaded-Rim TurboHead (note the capitalisation of TurboHead)
Note the "KT4" is not a TurboHead - it is a TurboHead Kit featuring the Millennium TurboHead. The so-called "KT TurboHead" is the one supplied with the KT1, KT2 & KT5 TurboHead Kits. (The KT3 being special all by itself just like the T3 is unique to itself)

I've powered the MN21 in the T-62 and the beam is disappointing with several of the MN21 Lamp Assemblies I have. Not enough stochastic disruption on the reflector to clean-up the beam I guess. Also it gets very hot and I don't want to risk damaging the Lexan window.
The N62's runtime is so short that the risk of window damage in use is minimal - I've put in the region of 50 or so sets of batteries (mostly Duracell DL123A) through my 12PM with no sign of heat damage to the window.

Due to the power of the N62 I urge people to replace their stock 12PM/12ZM TurboHeads with Z41-BK LockOut TailCaps. This way the flashlight can be disabled to prevent accidental activation and not to mention wasting the batteries. Accidental activation in a confined space could very well result in the flashlight starting a fire, or perhaps even the batteries going critical.

Al

Last edited:

cenz

Enlightened
There are two versions - the straight-bodied "P" and CombatGrip bodied "Z".
I'm not quite sure why SureFire added the "M" with the 12ZM and 12PM.
(there is no difference other than the etching AFAIK)
3P, 6P, 9P, 12PM
6Z, 7Z, 9Z, 12ZM
There are plenty of odd models not quite fitting the general 'rules' so I've always chalked the "M" up as one of the many ineffable things about SureFire.

um.. I found a website where describe 12zm that called - 12ZM Magnum-Light; as i know, the first generation of M6 that was also called M6 Magnum light... is that right?

http://www.ge-ha-tec.com/neu/surefire/surefire08.htm

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very cool,

Thanks for the info s15`s.

I did not even notice the threads inside the bezel of the head until you pointed it out.
:laughing:

Gotta hit the sack,
Benny

Size15's

Flashaholic
um.. I found a website where describe 12zm that called - 12ZM Magnum-Light; as i know, the first generation of M6 that was also called M6 Magnum light... is that right?

http://www.ge-ha-tec.com/neu/surefire/surefire08.htm
That's a good enough explanation for the M as I think we're likely to get.
I love that website referring to it as a "Lichthammer!" - Light Hammer!

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked up a 12ZM. Just enough wear so as I won't baby it. It is a splendid light. The N62 lamp is a monster. Too bright for my tastes. I installed an MN60 LA and used it this weekend at a cabin I was staying in in the Sierra Nevada mountains. What really surprises me is how light weight it is. I'm glad I held out and didn't get an M4. This is an instant favorite!

Size15's

Flashaholic
Which TurboHead does your 12ZM have?
Does it have the threaded rim?

How is the beam from your MN60 lamp?
In my limited experience the early TurboHead reflectors don't always flatter the modern lamps (the finish is too fine / the filament is too long)

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Size15s,

It is one of these;

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=216640

I believe it has the snap in lexan lens. No threads or retainer ring are present. This light came with a LOTC that is labeled with both Surefire and Laser products. The MN60 LA beam is round, and has a slight ghost of the filament image, dimmer than the balance of the hotspot when white wall hunting. The outer corona of the hotspot is a noticeably dimmer band. You really can't tell this when in use. The beam has a wide soft spill. It throws very well out in the field. Within 50m everything in front of you is illuminated extremely well. Lots of useful flood with a robust hotspot.

I compared the 2 lamp assemblies. They are the same length but the glass envelope on the N62 is only half the size of the MN60s I have.

Size15's

Flashaholic
That's the so-called "SRTH" or Short-Rimmed TurboHead.
Both that and the original "TRTH" have push-in, snap-fit Lexan windows.
The Threaded Rim was created for a never-released IR BeamFilter.

Thanks for the info on the MN60 beam in the SRTH - I assume the beam is much cleaner when you use the N62?
I think you're describing the less than perfect beam I can get when I put the MN60 or MN61 lamps in the TRTH, SRTH or T-Series TurboHeads.

FYI, that sales thread stated that the N62 Lamp Assembly has a runtime of 30 minutes. This is not even close to correct. More like 10 minutes.

I've put well over 60 sets of batteries through the N62 and it'll product excellent light for the first 2-3 minutes (until thermal shutdown), and then great light for the next 2-3 minutes and then depending on the batteries it will illuminate for one or two further 'sessions'.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Over the years I've acquired 2 @ T-3 heads, a T-62 TRTH, and an SRTH. Consistent with S15's observations, I've been unhappy with beam quality with MN60 and MN61 beam quality in these heads and burned out my last N62 several years ago.

Even so, I've had fun with a T-3 head loaded with an MN61 mounted on a bored-out D3 body with a pair of bored out longer extension tubes loaded with 3@ 18650's. I take care to use weaker 18650 cells with significant voltage sag so as not to excessively shorten the service life of the MN61 with extreme overvolting.

I've been watching the market for custom LED towers to allow longer extended run times with good beams that don't threaten to distort or melt the lexan lenses. For a year or so I've happily used a Nailbender tower with an XPG R5 with a 4V to 14V driver fixed at 1.4Amp rated at 320 lumens. I run this LED tower in my bored-out 12PM body with a pair of 18650's.

I'm about to buy his new (announced in December, 2011) 3-level 2.8Amp XML tower with a 3.4V - 9V driver for use with a pair of serial 18650's.

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
lemlux,
You know that the T3 TurboHead Kit is only for the 9N right?
I think you mean "T-Series" (or perhaps T-type if you must).

You're right that "T-62" TurboHead Kit is one of a few rare SureFire model numbers to actually feature a "-" dash between the letter and the number.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Size 15's:

Most of what I've learned over the years about these turboheads has come from your gracious and voluminous posting. Years ago you explained the history of the threading on the T-62 TRTH, although I don't recall seeing the model designation at the time.

One of the 3" units came to me on a used 12PM and the other one was a stand alone used unit that I discovered at a police equipment store. Both are identical.

I accept your T-Series designation, and I don't think I encountered the T-3 designation before reading this thread.

Thanks for yet another clarification.

LE6920

Newly Enlightened
Very interesting thread.

Do the 12ZM SRTH and the smaller (2 1/2"?) 12ZM tyrbohead take the same bulbs? I have seen a couple of these smaller turboheads on different lights(they look like 2 or 2 1/2") and often wondered on the bulbs they run off. I am guessing it is for a different shapped beam? Could you essentially have a 12ZM with a 9Z and a A19 adapter?

Size15's

Flashaholic
I have a detailed post on this somewhere with photos and whatnot.

Simply put, the 12ZM uses the N62 Lamp Assembly, and it uses a TurboHead that can accept other TurboHead Lamp Assemblies.
For example you could run the M4's MN60 and MN61.