show Your LEEF!

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspect 1x18650 Leef is even more rare than 2x18650.

I must say HA is very durable. I had it for over a year and it looks mint.

In all honesty, the round FiveMega bodies are just as good functionality wise. The knurling is as good.
You cannot get the HA with FiveMega.
If you want a 2x18650 (or 4x123) body, Surefire doesn't make such a piece (single piece) nor does Leef, so FiveMega is your only game. The ones that are completely round are nice but flat sided I don't like.

I was looking for 1x18650 Leef in the marketplace for a year but gave up. When they do show up it's for 5 minutes and then it sells for 100 tokens.

I run a one-of-a-kind Malkoff M60 in my Leef, rated for 5-12V, not the standard 9V, so the entire lite is not just collectible but impossible to duplicate. I can go back and forth between 18650 cells and CR123A primaries, something you cannot do with "normal" 9V Malkoffs.

This is why I like Surefire (or Surefire clone) Lego. Think about it, nobody else on the planet has exactly what you have.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Must admit C-C 1x18650 is indeed even rarer. I ended up going with an FM body in that configuration. Compared to my two Leef bodies, the FM is very good. But the knurling on my FM body isn't quite as good. Overall quality is a notch below that of the Leef bodies. Not a slam against FM. Those Leef bodies are exceptional.

Also, when it comes to fit, Leef bodies are great to use with Malkoff drop-ins. Nice, tight, fit between SureFire Z44 bezel and the front of a C-C Leef body. Next is a stock SF body that's been bored. Barely noticeable gap. But as you know, FM bodies leave a considerable gap when used with Malkoff and other aftermarket LED drop-ins. They're suited better for use with inca. lamps. I can honestly see why Leef bodies are still in such high demand. And, I'm grateful I was able to snag a couple of them when they were available at Lighthound.

With my FM-bodied 6P, I plan to run a Lumens Factory inca. lamp in it with one 18650.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO both Leef and FiveMega are out of Surefire specs, most noticeably in the tailcap thread. It's just too short. With my Leef, I almost run out of thread before it turns on in the last MM. FiveMega is a little better but not by much. I know it's not just me since others have posted about this. Just compare the two threads side by side. A SF will turn well past the point of ignition, maybe a full turn or half a turn.

With Leef, I sometimes have to use a brass ring or alum foil around the Malkoff, even a non-filed one, for a good contact. It comes and goes, not sure. I've never had 'ignition' issues with FiveMega.

Understand you have two non-Surefire products trying to work together, Malkoff + Leef, with a surefire Bezel and tailcap. They are built very well but if you compare the inside the bezel side area and tailcap thread, you will see the differences. My Leef and FM came with only 1 O-ring in the tailcap thread, but Surefire has two, another difference.

On the plus side, Surefire has terrible knurling IMO, not aggressive enough, and I hate these flat sides which are slippery. Leef is round all the way, very grippy, which is why I ultimately like it best.

Last edited:

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2x18650 leef body I have is a E head/C tail. This below in my sig and in post #99. Not many bulbs fit in it using the E to C adapter.
I think I'll try keeping its "baton" style and use an E-series head and a Z41 tailcap.

I still want a C/C :(

Monocrom

Flashaholic
IMO both Leef and FiveMega are out of Surefire specs, most noticeably in the tailcap thread. It's just too short. With my Leef, I almost run out of thread before it turns on in the last MM. FiveMega is a little better but not by much. I know it's not just me since others have posted about this. Just compare the two threads side by side. A SF will turn well past the point of ignition, maybe a full turn or half a turn.

With Leef, I sometimes have to use a brass ring or alum foil around the Malkoff, even a non-filed one, for a good contact. It comes and goes, not sure. I've never had 'ignition' issues with FiveMega.

Understand you have two non-Surefire products trying to work together, Malkoff + Leef, with a surefire Bezel and tailcap. They are built very well but if you compare the inside the bezel side area and tailcap thread, you will see the differences. My Leef and FM came with only 1 O-ring in the tailcap thread, but Surefire has two, another difference.

On the plus side, Surefire has terrible knurling IMO, not aggressive enough, and I hate these flat sides which are slippery. Leef is round all the way, very grippy, which is why I ultimately like it best.

In all honesty, I've never had a single issue with Leef and Malkoff working reliably together in my Leef-bodied 9P. The lack of an extra o-ring doesn't cause water to seep in if used outdoors in the rain. I've heard the brass ring is needed if the head is off of a SureFire M2 instead of using a Z44 bezel. My handmade Malkoff M60 works reliably in my Leef-bodied 9P, without needing to use foil or a brass ring.

(I know both are viable options, but personally would prefer not to rely on them. And I'm glad I don't.)

I never noticed a difference regarding tail-end threads. But mainly use my favorite 9P in momentary-on mode.

I wanted a light that could run the same LED drop-in or lamp on different cells. Best option was a Leef C-C 2x18500 body. Use rechargeables most of the time, if the protection kicks in; just toss in three CR123 primaries. I love my Leef-bodied M4. But you have to swap out the lamp if you use primaries over rechargeables. And vice versa. That 9P was put together just to have a more versatile light in my collection. Ironically, it is now on my short list of lights I'd keep til the end of my days. Even over my Leef-bodied M4. (And it would take a great deal for me to part with my M4.)

alantch

Enlightened
To those who have the BigLeef system with the Mag D necks - how do you mount your bi-pin or ROP bulbs? Can Alan_B's hotwire or JimmyM's drivers be incorporated into the neck area to drive an incand bulb?
I've gone through the whole thread and I don't read or see anyone mentioning or posting a BigLeef body with a MAG D neck configuration. TIA.

weklund

Enlightened
Leef HA III 3x18650 w/ Digilight D36 12 V Incan and Solarforce forward tail switch ... :devil:

L3X1.jpg

L3X2.jpg

L3X3.jpg

L3X4.jpg

red_hackle

Enlightened
Currently my favourite lego... after I almost fell out of love with it putting the parts together: The inner dimensions of the Leef body and the relatively short FiveMega bezel initially resulted in a very wide gap between bezel and body with just about any drop-in (even a Surefire P60 bulb). I have now found the perfect setup for this lego sanding down the reflector of a nailbender XM-L drop-in by about 4mm from the front to achieve a perfect fit.

IMG_0679small.jpg

IMG_0683small.jpg

IMG_0682small.jpg

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
To those who have the BigLeef system with the Mag D necks - how do you mount your bi-pin or ROP bulbs? Can Alan_B's hotwire or JimmyM's drivers be incorporated into the neck area to drive an incand bulb? I've gone through the whole thread and I don't read or see anyone mentioning or posting a BigLeef body with a MAG D neck configuration. TIA.

I fit a JimmyM regulator into a Leef D Mag adapter and mounted a Philips 5761 using FM's 6.35 brass holder and ceramic socket. Some photos:

[Post deleted]

Last edited:

Daekar

Enlightened
This thread should be closed for excessive temptation and accompanying risk of marital problems! I have a 1x18650 body with 6P trappings (waiting for an EO-4) and a 2x18650 body with turbohead running the 450 lumen M3T LF bulb... both are great, but good Lord, these pictures make my spending impulse go crazy! Nice pictures. :)

Getnlwr

Newly Enlightened
So what has happened to the leef stuff? Lighthound only has a few parts listed and it isn't available anywhere else.

I love the concept, but it looks like I am a few years late to the party.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
So what has happened to the leef stuff? Lighthound only has a few parts listed and it isn't available anywhere else.

I love the concept, but it looks like I am a few years late to the party.

Sadly, yes. Leef made his last run of custom bodies quite awhile back. Lighthound was the only place you could get new Leef bodies. There had been rumors floating around for awhile that Leef would soon make his absolute last batch of custom bodies. We got a handful of small runs. But pretty soon we got the very last one.

Only way to get a custom Leef body is to make a WTB topic over at the CPF MarketPlace. But good luck getting someone to part with their's. I have two custom Leef bodies for my SureFire M4 and 9P respectively. And no, they're not for sale.

Getnlwr

Newly Enlightened
Ok, Light hound has the 3X 18650 body in HA and it appears that that's my only option. Why did he stop making these? It looks like it had a strong following.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Keep in mind, Leef was one guy. It's not as though he had a flashlight-making company that fell on hard times and he had to close up shop. Leef is one of us, an enthusiast. Can't expect someone like that to keep having custom bodies made indefinitely. He was at it for more than quite awhile actually.