Show your Solarforce Part II

Roood

Newly Enlightened
I have a growing Lego'd collection of Solarforcae. Soon to be photographed.

By the way, has anyone noticed that the rubber cigar ring on the L2T degrades? It gets soft and sort of greasy -- could be that I accidentally exposed it to some kind of solvent. They want to charge me close to five bucks for a new one, which is just silly (especially if it's going to last only a couple of months before turning to mush). Should I buy the Surefire tactical grip set? Any other ideas?

happened to mine as well, ordered surefire spacers instead, bit more expensive but guaranteed to last longer.

yifu

Enlightened
l2t1.jpg
Well, got my first, last and only Solarforce today. It's cerakoted in white. I'll admit, it feels very cheap compared to the bored Surefires i've been using (Z2 bored with FM34 shown in picture) especially in terms of the threads quality and the grip ring (feels sticky and soft compared to Surefire) but it's wayyyy cheaper.

visigoth

Newly Enlightened
Well, got my first, last and only Solarforce today... I'll admit, it feels very cheap compared to the bored Surefires i've been using (Z2 bored with FM34 shown in picture) especially in terms of the threads quality and the grip ring (feels sticky and soft compared to Surefire) but it's wayyyy cheaper.

Is that general the opinion: that the machining is not as good on the Solarforce? I don't in fact have a Surefire to compare. Once lubricated, however, the threads on my various Solarforces have been pretty nice.

yifu

Enlightened
Is that general the opinion: that the machining is not as good on the Solarforce? I don't in fact have a Surefire to compare. Once lubricated, however, the threads on my various Solarforces have been pretty nice.
Yep, those who actually have both will concur that the build quality on Surefires is better (Surefire Hard Anodising is much better than other HAIII, threads are beefier, etching is much more durable etc). Those who say Solarforces are just as good don't have a Surefire or are just short sighted :) Of course, you sort of expect that with the 100 dollar premium (for a bored Surefire) over the Solarforce, some of which goes into being American made. The stock Solarforce switch feels bad as well, and some members have reported it melting with higher loads above 4-5A, which is why mine is upgraded with a McClicky.

Last edited:

visigoth

Newly Enlightened
I was under the impression that Surefire doesn't use Type III anodizing -- do they simply have a better quality Type II?

Have you compared the latest L2P, btw? Supposed to be a step up from the earlier Solarforces...

yifu

Enlightened
I was under the impression that Surefire doesn't use Type III anodizing -- do they simply have a better quality Type II?

Have you compared the latest L2P, btw? Supposed to be a step up from the earlier Solarforces...
Most current Surefires have real Type III anodising (A2L, LX2, M3LT, M6LT, E1B etc.), older Surefire C and M series have type 3 as well. Surefire anodising holds up much better than other claimed type three, which chip easily like 4Sevens, Zebralight etc. I haven't tried the L2P though. Cerakoted Solarforces actually feel quite nice.

Last edited:

Erzengel

Enlightened
Guys, please don't start this discussion in a collectors thread. This thread is for those, who enjoy their solarforce and are happy with it, even if the threads are not as smooth as the Surefire threads.

visigoth

Newly Enlightened
Didn't mean to stir up trouble! I'm extremely happy with the Solarforce gear I have. Certainly holds its own with my best lights (Fenix, Sunwayman), and is a notch better than my Balder (which I also like).

tam17

Enlightened
My first Solarforce: matt black L2 with stock XR-E (note the unusual bezel ring):

nqobxt.jpg

Cheers,

Tam

tam17

Enlightened
Actually it's a modded stock bezel ring, and it surely looks different. Since this is not a modding thread, see details here.

Cheers,

Tam

Roood

Newly Enlightened
OT: What happens if you sand/buffer a SolarForce SS Bezel? My friend wants the finish to be kind of matte instead of shiny/chrome.

1234jaca

Newly Enlightened
these are my solarforce, and my favorite l2t ss with kerberos triple xp-g

DSC_0115.jpg

DSC_0116.jpg

DSC_0123.jpg

LV426

Enlightened
Sorry 'bout the crappy image.

Almost mine... It's at least in the "household" and I made the mod!
No, it's not just the orange tail-cap boot - the switch is from a Skyline II, and it works perfect! :D

l2p_blue_orange.jpg