mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Current Sign Up List

I am surprised that most go for an R123 configuration. The PILA version as it looks so far would make the light only about 15mm longer (a bit more then half an inch), but you would get almost 3 times the runtime (R123 has 700mA, PILA 2000mA - both 3.6V). Something to think about...

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is that a Pila 150A? Maybe not everyone has Pilas. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Edit - Oops /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif OK missed that info earlier. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

fore

Newly Enlightened

I think he's talking about the 168A pilas (2000mA). I don't have any 168A or S batteries, but I still wouldn't mind having the option of switching from R123s to 168As...with an extra set of rods?

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast

I will take a 1 speed model in 2 tone if available. Lux III unless K2 is ready by build time.

Free

Enlightened

Having changeable rod options, sounds like the best solution. Personally, I like the convenience of CR123's, and don't like to mess around with rechargeables.

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast

PP sent for two of the Gattlings!

Lux III, fixed brightness, Pila`s...and Titanium if available.

Thanks for your efforts, Mobile1! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

rhutchinson

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
mobile1 said:
I am surprised that most go for an R123 configuration. The PILA version as it looks so far would make the light only about 15mm longer (a bit more then half an inch), but you would get almost 3 times the runtime (R123 has 700mA, PILA 2000mA - both 3.6V). Something to think about...

[/ QUOTE ]

15mm longer? A 123 is 34mm long, Pila 168A is 68mm. Still, the more I think about it, the more I lean toward the Pila. I think the newer ones are 2200mah even.

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Sign Up for the \"Gattling\" (Flashlight reinven

Here is the current list of people who signed up so far:

ChocolateLab33
Dr_Joe
flex76italy
rhutchinson
Wasabe64
indenial
JimH
nrk
wmpwi
Stillphoto
Karlthev
Free
Elakazam
fore
flashlight
Andreas
Andreas
Amorphous
???
Carpe Diem
Carpe Diem
GADGETOMETRY

Thanks to everyone who signed up so far. I will send out an email to everyone together with a progress update by end of this week.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

i'll likely be on this bandwagon.. can't go for it right now but most likely i'll be wanting in on this light.. i think i'd want the bigger one.. already have small lights and this one really isn't a 'pocket' light so bigger is ok.. the R123 is a very cost-effect battery solution considering a two pack of batteries and a charger is less expensive than just one 168 battery i think that has part to do with the weighting toward the smaller battery.. plus.. with rechargeables.. it doesn't matter if the runtime is only 1/2 hr.

-awr

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast

andrewwynn My personal preference would be a bigger battery as well, but most people seem to prefer the 123 format. So R123 format is the first priority, second would be the 168. Your 1/2hr runtime if rechargeable doesnt matter makes sense... the nice thing is that both preferences long or short can be accomodated by changing the length of the rods. At the moment the designer is working on an oring interfact that would make the 19mm 168 and the 17mm 123 diameter fit. If we can't make both fit, it will only be the 17mm. We'll see...

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd probably go for the 168 myself, but I have to figure out my budgets - and the fixed-brightness is a one-level light, correct?

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm waiting---in anticipation!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Karl

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast

Actually, that's a good question - could the Pila-sized light be used with 2x123s, or would the 6V be too much, depending on how the circuit's built? If you could do either 2x123 (primary-type cells) or a 168, that'd be a definite deal-maker for me. Otherwise, let me see what I can arrange.. but this looks cool enough to want to invest in.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Aw crap...I can't believe I friggin waited. I REALLY want this in a K2. I'll send the PP now, but I'm not sure about the battery choice yet. Any estimates as to the run time on each battery size? Same brightness with each, right?

fleegs

Enlightened

I am only interested in the multi level brightness model. I would also go with a pila battery.

I need more info on what the model with the multi level buttons would look like before I invest my money. Is there anyway to get a picture/drawing? I can not picture how the buttons would be added to the side of this design with out significant changes.

Please help.

Rob

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Let me answer some questions: At this point the PILA can't be used with 2x123s, that would be too much. Also using a PILA setup for this form factor makes more sense and provides you with more runtime.

Then regarding the fixed brightness version. It is a one brightness level version, however when you take out the battery, you can use a screwdriver to adjust this one fixed brightness level through a pot.

In terms of runtime here is what I can say so far. The R123 is 700mA at 3.6V. The PILA (if we can make the 19mm work) is 2000mA at 3.6V. Efficiency will be at around 90% (a guess, not tested). Real runtime tests have to be done when we have the prototypes. The ability to adjust the fixed brightness level will allow you to adjust brightness vs. runtime preference for yourself.

Membrane Switch - Renderings. First we want the CAD of the fixed version done and ready before moving on to the brightness regulated version.

Trashman/Nikola Tesla thanks for signing up.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast

So you say the light will work under water. I have a question about the batteries, though. The rechargeables have those little holes on the top (3 on the pila, two on the r123's). Isn't that where the protection circuit is? Do you think the batteries would be damaged if dropped in water? I know this isn't a dive light, but it would be cool to have something waterproof. That's actually something that is influencing my decision of which battery type to use! The Pila's are going to be much more expensive to wreck.

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes we design it so that the light can be submersed into water (1 meter). The top and the back of the battery is sealed off, so the holes are in the water proof section. The shell of the battery (which is exposed) is waterproof.