Sign-up thread for the MillerMods Cree Arc AAA 2-stage (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi MillerMods,

Has anything changed in the driver setup? I remember you mentioning you had plans increasing the runtime of the lower levels.

Thanks!

EDIT: just noticed I moved up from 127 to 49:twothumbs

Thats alot of people dropping out!

Last edited:

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi MillerMods,

Has anything changed in the driver setup? I remember you mentioning you had plans increasing the runtime of the lower levels.

Thanks!

EDIT: just noticed I moved up from 127 to 49:twothumbs

I tried something different for the low level but the parts used ended up being too big.

A lot of folks have just never responded which could be for a number of reasons. I think the bottom line is that some are over the initial buzz and some are short on cash. And others gave up on me and some might even be mad at me for leaving everyone hanging for so long. I really hated dropping this project out of my life for awhile but much more important things became an issue for me. Once 20 or 30 people get their lights, I hope think will pick up again.

Last edited:

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 25/1.50 Q4-WH arrived today!

I'm quite happy with the tint. Output of the Q4 in comparison to my earlier 25/1.5 Lux III TXOH is a quantum leap that is at least as large as the leap going from a stock Arc P to the MM/Lux III, probably more. Workmanship is pretty much perfect. The die is in perfect focus, as usual with MM's work. I'm glad to see that you've been able to put a parabolic surface on the newer heads, too. If I remember correctly, you had to use one of the older flat-sided heads for a parabolic cut in the Lux versions. I can't help but wish that some of the older, non-beveled Arc heads were still available, though.

I got spoiled by my MM/Lux's perfect beam. I'd forgotten how squirrelly Cree's can be. I don't plan on using mine to hunt down white walls, so that is really more of a nit-picky, perfectionistic point than one of function. I just can't help but find a white wall when a new light arrives.

If I had to pick between my MM's, the Cree would win hands down. Great job, MillerMod. It's good to see you back in form! :D

Now I've just got to open the center hole in the foam donut up some so that the positive nib of a AA will fit inside. I can't wait to get my Valiant Concepts AA body matched up to this new head.

Last edited:

randyo

Enlightened
Codeman -
The AA body may be a problem - you're probably going to have trouble getting the 2-stage switch to actuate properly since the AA-to-AAA adapter body has a spring at the negative end of the battery. I tried one of my Millermods Luxeon heads with the AA-to-AAA adapter body and the spring is a problem. Perhaps a bolt or spacer would work to give the battery a rigid surface?

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
codeman: you said "...wish that some of the older, non-beveled Arc heads were still available, though..."

if i remember correctly, the reason eric uses the square head is the older head works fine with Luxs, but not Crees.

with Crees, the newer square head is required to handle the shape needed when cutting the reflector, to make the best beam possible.

i think eric once said he preferred the old style too, but with Crees it just wasn't the best choice.

i hope my memory is working here, but eric can correct me if needed.

Last edited:

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the Cree's beam is not easy to tame. I just love the wide-open look of the older head after MM has put his mark on it.

randyo, I'll be posting some info on the AA-AAA body later this weekend, probably in my 2006 MM/Lux review when I add the MM/Cree to it.

I showed my new MM/Cree to several people at work. These are regular folks, non flashaholics. They've seen my HID's, my USL, and all of my McGizmo lights. None of those came close to getting the reaction of MM's latest creation. Everyone was in awe of this little gem as it went from low to high, and that was in a daytime work environment. I suspect that I would have been mobbed and robbed had they seen it in the dark.

liteMANIAC

Newly Enlightened
I regretfully write this but I have to withdraw my name from the list. Unexpected bills and circumstances have arisen and I am unable to purchase on of these magnificent lights. At least someone will get theirs a bit sooner. I wish you all the best in building your beautiful lights, Patrick.

DimLite

Newly Enlightened
I have 3 WH Q4 heads for sale that did not turn out the way I had intended. The beam is "floody". They still have a hotspot but it is smaller than usual, there is no "donut" in the hotspot. I'm selling them with or without a body (-$15). I'm asking $100 with body. $5 shipping. Pictures coming soon. First come, first serve.

Actually I have one more of the "floody" Q4's left. $105 shipped Priority or International Airmail.

If this last one is still available, I'm interested depending on the low/high configuration.

Would you please let me know.

Thanks.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reasons I bought a Millermods AAA:
I wanted a torch smaller (thinest) than my L0D CE for my keychain (for in the pocket under my wallet).
I wanted a torch with a minimum 3 hour runtime.
I wanted brightness in the ballpark of an L1P/L0P SE high/L0D CE medium (~30 lumens). I later discovered the L1T v2 RB80 low acceptable (~15 lumens).

The L0D CE I am using for the comparison I bought locally July 2007. I think it has a P4WD emitter (brightness & tint compared to my 1st L0D CE Jan 2007 which I think is a P3WC).

The (Millermods) Arc AAA is the smallest torch using a common battery.
The Millermods AAA is 4 hours at 50mA. 2.5 hours at 75 mA is too low as is my L0D CE at 2 hours.
The Millermods AAA P3 bin is 9 lumens at 50mA. A Q4 bin is roughly 1.5X (based on L0D Q4 vs L0D CE specs) so ~13.5 lumens tolerable.
I also like warmish tints so when Millermods let people who take a Q4 WH to get their lights 1st while he sources higher bin LEDs I jumped (the queue).

Size MillerMods AAA left, L0Dce right:
MillerMods_L0Dce_size.jpg

Beamshot MillerMods AAA low left, L0Dce medium right. My Millermods at 50 mA is only very slightly dimmer than my L0D CE medium, quite acceptable.
MillerMods_L0Dce_medium.jpg

Beamshot MillerMods AAA high left, L0Dce high right. I selected the lowest high 3/4W 240 mA for minimum effect to the 3 hour runtime I wanted.
MillerMods_L0Dce_high.jpg

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
That cooler tint appears brighter but I'm curious how much of that is the WB of your camera. Does it appear like that to your eyes also? What bin does the L0D CE have in it? Back when the first L0D came out my P4 and the Fenix P4 L0D had a very similar output with the 3/4W MM Arc being slightly brighter.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
That cooler tint appears brighter but I'm curious how much of that is the WB of your camera. Does it appear like that to your eyes also? What bin does the L0D CE have in it? Back when the first L0D came out my P4 and the Fenix P4 L0D had a very similar output with the 3/4W MM Arc being slightly brighter.
I suspect my L0D CE is a P4 WD. It is slightly warmer and brighter than the 1st one I got (P3 WC? 1st preorder batch Jan 2007).

The Millermods on low 50mA is dimmer than my L0D CE (75 mA?).

The Millermods on high 240mA is brighter than my L0D CE (250 mA?) to the eye. The camera does not show that.
I've noticed that the whiter tints feel brighter even to the eye until I do an A-B comparison.

My camera is a point & shoot one. Exposure setting was -1.0 EV.

gjg

Enlightened
FITP - You're #1 on the list and your inbox is full.... please contact Eric ASAP to confirm your build.
Thanks,
gjg

Luff

Enlightened
I've had my first MM mod now for a couple of weeks. It's everything I expected and a bit more. LEDninja did a great job summarizing in his prior post all that I like about this mod.

Using regular or Nimh rechargeables is a huge plus. When the power's out and I can't recharge, this light will serve.

Workmanship is excellent and the reflector polishing exceptional. The Cree is exactly what I expected. Am looking forward to my next MM mod with a higher bin & lower 'low'. I asked for this one to be set at .5 and it's fine, but .25 will be easier on night-adapted eyes.

I'm already signed up for one more with a higher bin. I believe I'll be adding a couple more to give family members.

Considering the price point, this light competes very well with another, smaller light I own that cost twice as much.

DarthChicken

Newly Enlightened
Wow.. I hadn't looked in a few weeks (ok... maybe months)... and things are moving! YES! :D

Edit - change order to .25 and 1.5 (from 1), best available bin.

Last edited:

crossroads

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

Been lurking for a little while in this forum, but decided to make an account to grab one of these delectable mods. Specs are as follows: .25 low, 1 watt high, best bin available at time of building (hopefully a Q4, but it'll probably be a while before you come around to making mine:ironic:).

One question: do you guys offer faster international shipping options?

Cheers,

Leo

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
(hopefully a Q4, but it'll probably be a while before you come around to making mine:ironic:).

One question: do you guys offer faster international shipping options?

Cheers,

Leo

I'm only building with R2's now. Maybe something better when I get to your light. I'm building these faster than ever now so I may get to yours sooner than you think. I will ship international with any available service just pay actual shipping cost plus $3.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.