silver missile flew over my head yesterday..

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never saw anything like it before.
..and I don't see "ufos" --
a mirror like reflection of sun got my attention as it flew in from the SE over the Pacific, it started to curve to the West then fly up the coast from me..I thought I would see wings but as it turned it was just a tubular fuselage. I grabbed binocs and that clinched it; no wings, and fire coming out the end:
a missile.

There are missile tests all the time around here what with Edwards and Point Mugu base nearby, but they have always been way out over the ocean --

not this time. I called the police station, and they said no one else had called it in, and they had no info.

any one have any idea what it could have been??

:wow:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tomahawk test? Thise things have very small wings/tail surfaces and look like flying silver telephone poles. They used to run them on over ocean courses off Mugu (LONG over ocean courses) and they might also go over land to test terrain following. The engine is low signature and generates no visible flame.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to Paul Harvey the Japanese got word that North Korea was going to launch a missle with no warhead at the USA just to prove to us that they can do it.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
nerd, it seemed much bigger than a telephone pole, through the binocs at the time it seemed like it could be 30 to 50 feet, but could be smaller in reality..
But it absolutely did have flame out the back..so does that rule out Tomahawk?

The flight seemed to be guided..not a straight line, or a curve...

after I lost sight of it, I did just sit tight for a few minutes waiting for an explosion... after five minutes of quiet I felt assured it would be just another "no nukes" sort of day... oh hum.... oi vey.

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
It does sound a little odd. Cruise missiles have wings and jet engines. Un-winged rocket-powered missiles usually fly in straight lines and not low to the ground.

Did it have tailfins you could see?

50' long? Sounds like ICBM size. Don't think you'd see one of those tripping along the coast.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
it was VERY odd. for a few seconds I thought it might be a movie prop, but the flames made it real. it didn't seem to be going extremely fast either, about the speed of a jetliner, coming in for a landing, say..

it could have had small tail fins, but I didn't see any...

could have been 35 meters long like the supposed Korean test missile; could have been launched yesterday the 23rd? --

"...24.05 / 21:04 SKorea has no info NKorea about to test-fire new missile
SEOUL. May 24, 2006. KAZINFORM - South Korea has no information about North Korea's preparations for test-firing a new long-range ballistic missile, but it closely follows the march of events, South Korean Defence Minister Yoon Kwang-ung said. "We are keeping a watchful eye on North Korea's work on developing missiles. We don't have any information about the site or date when the new ballistic missile may be tested," he said, Kazinform quotes Itar-Tass.

Earlier this week, the Japanese news agency Kyodo said with reference to a military source in Beijing North Korea this week may test-fire a new ballistic missile capable of reaching Alaska, Hawaii and the United States' west coast.

A western source in Beijing said Pyongyang had successfully tested the engine for the Taepodong-2 missile, believed to have a range of up to 6,000 kilometers.

According to the reports, a satellite intelligence detected preparations for the missile's launch near a missile test site in Cape Musudan, northeastern North Korea. A 35-meter-long missile was delivered there.

The U.S. has not confirmed this.

Military observers in Japan believe that growing activity in Cape Musudan are in retaliation for U.S. economic sanctions against North Korea and the ban on its financial transactions via a bank in Macao (Aomyn). .."

Last edited:

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Related News »
• North Korean defence chief warns of pre-emptive attack on US
• US calls North Korea's missile programme a global threat, after tests
• US-Japan missile defence test called successful
more>>

TOKYO - North Korea may be preparing to test-fire a long-range ballistic missile capable of hitting the US mainland, but the threat is not imminent, Japanese ministers said Friday.

http://agonist.org/20060515/satellite_images_show_more_activity_at_yongbyon

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Seems that Norad would've been all over this by now, and it would've eventually been leaked to the media. Certainly there would've been a launch detection?

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt that it was the NK missile but if it was, I would bet they would try to keep this quiet to not alarm the public.

maverick

Enlightened
Yeah I see the same things sometimes, I don't live in the US though. Though I think it's probably because I was starring at my flashlight beams too much the previous night.... :)

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspect that McGizmo is involved.

12.jpg

cheers