Site was down today

bykfixer

Flashaholic
While the site was down today I logged into another forum that rhymes with 'see sell jeff' and posted on a CPF vs thread. Within minutes I was multi-flamed for opening a non current thread. I logged back out thinking "yup, that's why I never go there".

I made no dispariging remarks against either site, just A tastes like chicken, B tastes like beef kinda thing. But it quickly brought back memories of the rude members over there and the nit pickers we used to have here.

SYZYGY

Enlightened
i don't personally have a problem with either forum. i think they're both great. i like the users on both. i think the family friendly thing here is unnecessary and not necessarily to my taste (e.g. the word censorship/replacement), but that's a minor gripe. i have not run into (or afoul of) the administration of either site, so i have no real comment on that.

since i've been "active" in online flashlight stuff (only a few years), i feel that i've seen more interesting, technical discussion on BLF, but that probably changes back and forth over time.

i will say that discourse is superior to xenforo, though. and ime, BLF's hosting seems better than CPF's. CPF is often sluggish for me but not terrible. other xenforo sites i frequent are snappier.

i think we're extremely fortunate in this hobby to have two independent, (mostly) thriving discussion communities. many online special interest groups have one, and most have zero. if trash like facebook, reddit, IG, et al. were the only places to talk about flashlights online, i wouldn't even bother.

Last edited:

SYZYGY

Enlightened
Within minutes I was multi-flamed for opening a non current thread. I logged back out thinking "yup, that's why I never go there".

i just read your post on BLF, and i don't see anything wrong with what you wrote there. i thought it was a perfectly reasonable message. with that said, i think you may have overreacted a little to those users' responses, and fwiw, the admin of BLF "Liked" your post :)

ironhorse

Enlightened
I visit there as well and have seen the hatred towards CPF. There is also hate towards HDS as well. I don't understand why.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
i just read your post on BLF, and i don't see anything wrong with what you wrote there. i thought it was a perfectly reasonable message. with that said, i think you may have overreacted a little to those users' responses, and fwiw, the admin of BLF "Liked" your post :)
Yeah you're right, I probably should have been more fair in my first post in this one. I had lurked there a while and noticed things were more chill than they used to be. Maybe I went in looking for issues so naturally found some. I did not think so at the time but a day later..... nah, I'm still not surprised that some loyalist twirps over there pounced on a "newb" like that. (Paraphrasing the posts that caused me to sign back out "4 year abscence and this necro bump is all you can do?" Next post "yeah what he said")

Actually I meant for this thread to be a "what did you do while the site was down?" thread but the keyboard warrior voice in my head went on a rant about that other site.

So with that, what did you do while the site was down?
I bought groceries, went walking around a big box store, at some of the best fried chicken tenders ever, watched a tv screen for a little while and contemplated how many flashlights would NOT be in my den had I never joined this place. I'm pretty sure not as many but I had a pretty good collection when I first arrived.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Ukraine? That's still going?
Nah, seriously the tidbits I hear on the radio, the Russians are thinking "and we thought Afghanistan was tough".

I usually hang out here at certain times each day and when the site wouldn't load my daily habit was not the norm. Not a bad thing really. My favorite car site was dead as usual so it was a time to do stuff I usually do at other times.

I spent a little more time painting our garage.

IMG_4422.jpeg

SYZYGY

Enlightened
nah, I'm still not surprised that some loyalist twirps over there pounced on a "newb" like that. (Paraphrasing the posts that caused me to sign back out "4 year abscence and this necro bump is all you can do?" Next post "yeah what he said")

analysis: not a loyalist. just an inane, reddit-tier comment from reddit bleedover. also, objectively, you are his senior – he's technically the noob.

the guy who posted that joined BLF on june 9 and has 15 posts. he joined BLF because reddit's biggest flashlight community went on strike. the user basically says as much in another post, and the timeline fits. also, that kind of comment is very consistent with "reddit culture" (trash, imo) where: conversations are ephemeral (necrobumps are uncommon), difficult to follow (not presented chronologically by default, most comments suppressed automatically by score), and more impersonal by nature of the platform. it is not a discussion platform. it is a content aggregator and click farm. the crap-tier discussion functionality only exists to increase engagement.

on reddit, you pisss "amusing", impersonal observations into the wind and hope to land some "upboats". it's nothing personal.

the wording itself is also very idiosyncratic of reddit.

i still think you're taking it the wrong way, lol

Last edited:

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
analysis: not a loyalist. just an inane, reddit-tier comment from reddit bleedover. also, objectively, you are his senior – he's technically the noob.

the guy who posted that joined BLF on june 9 and has 15 posts. he joined BLF because reddit's biggest flashlight community went on strike. the user basically says as much in another post, and the timeline fits. also, that kind of comment is very consistent with "reddit culture" (trash, imo) where: conversations are ephemeral (necrobumps are uncommon), difficult to follow (not presented chronologically by default, most comments suppressed automatically by score), and more impersonal by nature of the platform. it is not a discussion platform. it is a content aggregator and click farm. the crap-tier discussion functionality only exists to increase engagement.

on reddit, you pisss "amusing", impersonal observations into the wind and hope to land some "upboats". it's nothing personal.

the wording itself is also very idiosyncratic of reddit.

i still think you're taking it the wrong way, lol
Can you please add BLF link in question, thx..

SYZYGY

Enlightened

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
While the site was down today I logged into another forum that rhymes with 'see sell jeff' and posted on a CPF vs thread. Within minutes I was multi-flamed for opening a non current thread. I logged back out thinking "yup, that's why I never go there".

I made no dispariging remarks against either site, just A tastes like chicken, B tastes like beef kinda thing. But it quickly brought back memories of the rude members over there and the nit pickers we used to have here.
I've only used one forum in my life prior to CPF, and it was automotive. Forums aren't a big thing for me.

I'm only aware of 2 other flashlight forums. I've checked them both over time, and would label one as 'juvenile', and the other as 'adolescent'. I posted a couple of times on the latter, and was attacked each time by adolescent idiots.

Besides: BLF=CLF (practically exclusively). They should just change the name and be done with it. I checked recently and that is still absolutely true. There are practically zero flashlights discussed there that I have any interest in. Even if it was 'civilized', I'd have no interest.

Most importantly, CPF includes discussion of ALL types of flashlights, and is (relatively) civilized (well, most users anyway). That differentiates it completely.

If / when CPF shuts down, I'll happily go back to being a closet flashaholic.