Smallest yet high lumen, multi-mode and very long runtime

ruriimasu

Enlightened
read the welcome mat :)

Alkalines sag under high load, meaning that they can sustain high voltage for very long

NiMh have 1.2 voltage output, 0.3 less then Alkaline, but it cant sustain it.

Lithiums provide 1.7 right at the start, and normalize to 1.5, and last longer, and sustain it too.

Li-ons are high powered rechargables, 3.6, and up to 4.2 hot off the charger.. use them carefully. Some lights ( Lf2x, NDI, etc) use a circuit that allows you to use either Litium Ion batteries, or alkalines/nimh

oh, the graphs represent the output over time...so a flat graph means it is a stable output over the time period.

Crenshaw

thanks for the great link. :twothumbs: i read from the post that twisties' threads may wear out. has it happened to anyone who owns a LF2X?

ruriimasu

Enlightened
i have made up my mind for a LF2X.. Will be making the purchase this weekend. Thanks a lot guys for all your help. you guys are the best :twothumbs

ruriimasu

Enlightened
hi khoo, i sent paypal for a LF2X. duno why but i could not reply to your sales thread.

ruriimasu

Enlightened
hi knifeculture, thanks for the recommendation. i have made an order for a LF2X. Maybe I'll consider yours sometime later or if this LF2X somehow does not fit my requirements :eek:

ruriimasu

Enlightened
ahm.. i want to get a good battery that can provide good runtime and able to show the maximum potential (erm.. brightness) of my new LF2X (still flying over to me at this moment) :nana: can any experts here recommend me a battery from www.dealextreme.com ? I saw some rechargeables 500mAH 3.9V lithium-ions and 1100mAH 1.2V NI-MH but do not know which is better. from what i know, 1100 provides a longer runtime than 500? How about the voltage in a regulated LF2X? Thanks. :):)

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
ahm.. i want to get a good battery that can provide good runtime and able to show the maximum potential (erm.. brightness) of my new LF2X (still flying over to me at this moment) :nana: can any experts here recommend me a battery from www.dealextreme.com ? I saw some rechargeables 500mAH 3.9V lithium-ions and 1100mAH 1.2V NI-MH but do not know which is better. from what i know, 1100 provides a longer runtime than 500? How about the voltage in a regulated LF2X? Thanks. :):)
The 1100mAh is likely inflated. I KNOW that the 500mAh LiIon is inflated for a fact -- actual capacity on there is about 330mAh.
Note, if you go with NiMH (1.2V) be sure to get a low-self dischrge variety such as the Sanyo Eneloop. These have less capacity, but keep the capacity far longer, whereas normal cells lose a big fraction of their inital charge just sitting around.

However mAh alone doesn't mean much, as the amount of energy stored, in Watt-hours, is essentially the capacity (in Ah) multiplied by the voltage. A 330mAh 3.6V LiIon therefore has the same amount of energy as a 1000mAh 1.2V NiMH Cell -- both 1.2 watt-hours.

However, the LiIon will be both capable of both higher peak outputs, and longer runtimes at lower outputs, because the driver circuit is most efficient when operated closest to the forward voltage of the LED, which is around 3.6V. This is personlly what I run for everyday use. The nice thing about the LF2 however is that in the case of a power outage or something, I can always throw normal NiMH or Alkaline cells in there to run it.

ruriimasu

Enlightened
im using this
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1251

but you need a spacer to charge 10440s, this might work without a spacer
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4151

and useing these batteries...
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.974

be sure to search up on li-on dangers before starting to use them. :)

if you use the LF2X on IIRC 60% with 10440s, its about as bright as 100% on AAA Alkaline,but with alot more runtime. :)

Crenshaw

hi crenshaw, what is IIRC? does this li-on produce more brightness and runtime than a normal NI-MH?

ruriimasu

Enlightened
The 1100mAh is likely inflated. I KNOW that the 500mAh LiIon is inflated for a fact -- actual capacity on there is about 330mAh.
Note, if you go with NiMH (1.2V) be sure to get a low-self dischrge variety such as the Sanyo Eneloop. These have less capacity, but keep the capacity far longer, whereas normal cells lose a big fraction of their inital charge just sitting around.

However mAh alone doesn't mean much, as the amount of energy stored, in Watt-hours, is essentially the capacity (in Ah) multiplied by the voltage. A 330mAh 3.6V LiIon therefore has the same amount of energy as a 1000mAh 1.2V NiMH Cell -- both 1.2 watt-hours.

However, the LiIon will be both capable of both higher peak outputs, and longer runtimes at lower outputs, because the driver circuit is most efficient when operated closest to the forward voltage of the LED, which is around 3.6V. This is personlly what I run for everyday use. The nice thing about the LF2 however is that in the case of a power outage or something, I can always throw normal NiMH or Alkaline cells in there to run it.

Hi 2xTrinity, do u mean this li-on will produce a brighter light and same runtime as a 1000mAh 1.2V Ni-MH battery?

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi 2xTrinity, do u mean this li-on will produce a brighter light and same runtime as a 1000mAh 1.2V Ni-MH battery?
LiIon will give you the highest possible brightness, if you set it to 100%. OR if you manipulate the levels so that light outputs match between two identical lights running each of the two battery types, LiIon will have the longer runtime. Note that I am NOT saying that if you set both NiMH and LiIon to 100%, runtime will be the same.

In the case of the LF2x, 50% output on LiIon will correspond roughly to 100% output on NiMH. At those respective levels, runtime will be about 60% longer on LiIon. The difference will be progressively LESS than that at lower levels.

There are runtime graphs availble if you search for them (check out the link in my sig with LF2s, that thread contins links to all the runtime graphs you'll need to understand exactly what I mean).

ruriimasu

Enlightened
Hi all,
I just received my LF2X. It is beautiful. But I absolutely am lost with the instructions! Can someone explain to me in basic simple English how do I program the brightness for P1 and P2, and switch between modes? And also there are 3 marker dots, 2 are for the Ps. What is the 3rd dot right next to P2? PLEASE HELP.... :mecry:

ruriimasu

Enlightened
ruriimasu - have you looked at this thread which may answer a lot of your questions?
CPF-M link

Hi matrixshaman,
Yes I looked through the thread but I am still lost! :mecry: As of now, my dad is laughing his dentures off at me for not knowing how to use a torchlight :ohgeez:

ruriimasu

Enlightened
its totally messed up now. my p1 seems to be normal, but my p2 is a blinking mode which offs by itself after a few seconds. should i do the sw10 to reset it? argh... *pulls hair*

ruriimasu

Enlightened
ok.. i reset with the sw10. now let me get this clear, to program p1:

1) turn to p1, do a sw1. pause.
2) do a sw2, then turn p1 to p2 to let the light increase or decrease.
3) turn back to p1 when desired brightness it gained.
4) do a sw1
Qn: how do i set it to decrease or increase cos i followed the instruction sw2 but it doesnt seem to toggle.

to program p2:

1) turn to p2, do a sw1. pause.
2) let the light increase of decrease.
3) turn back to p1 when desired brightness is gained.
4) do a sw1
Qn: how do i set it to decrease or increase cos i followed the instruction sw2 but it doesnt seem to toggle.

Am I right?

ruriimasu

Enlightened
ah.. it seems i got it wrong. p1 and p2 can't be changed? i managed to go to sw2 and changed its p1 to my desired brightness. the p2 in sw2 is not a mode but only for changing p1's brightness? gosh this light is confusing but im sure i will like it when all these are sorted out :confused:

arty

Enlightened
Don't rule out the LF2. It has a low setting of about 1 lux @ 1 meter and lights up a room indoors at higher settings. If you want your light for outdoor use - the LF2X is brighter with better throw.
On the other hand, the LF2X is a bit slippery....It is also very bright.
I have both and like them both.

HKJ

Flashaholic
ah.. it seems i got it wrong. p1 and p2 can't be changed? i managed to go to sw2 and changed its p1 to my desired brightness. the p2 in sw2 is not a mode but only for changing p1's brightness? gosh this light is confusing but im sure i will like it when all these are sorted out :confused:

First: For my the easy way to do a sw is to turn quickly from p1 to p2 and back to p1 (p1 is best as starting position).

Your have four modes:
sw1: Where p1 and p2 have different preset levels.
sw2: Where your can turn the level up/down
sw3: Two different strobe levels
sw4: Two different sos levels

The only level your can change outside the configuration menu is sw2, all other requires that your go into the configuration menu, where the first one is sw1-p1 and next one is sw1-p2.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Last edited: