So, what is your profession?

swampgator

Enlightened
I'm a Cardiovascular Tech. I'm the guy standing beside the Cardiologist during cardiac catheterizations, stent placements and pacemaker insertions.

I was too poor to go to Med school. Too dumb to go to Nursing school. Too smart to stay in the Army.

msm1018

Newly Enlightened
toll and equipment grunt,
I maintain a warehouse full of tools, (mans ultimate playground)
but on a side note I do also wind up cables (not fun and pick up trash)

Sarratt

Enlightened
Well , since you asked ....

I am a dynamic figure, often seen scaling walls and crushing ice. I have been known to remodel train stations on my lunch breaks, making them more efficient in the area of heat retention. I translate ethnic slurs for Cuban refugees, I write award-winning operas, I manage time efficiently. Occasionally, I tread water for three days in a row.

I woo women with my sensuous and godlike trombone playing, I can pilot bicycles up severe inclines with unflagging speed, and I cook Thirty-Minute Brownies in twenty minutes. I am an expert in stucco, a veteran in love, and an outlaw in Peru.
Using only a hoe and a large glass of water, I once single-handedly defended a small village in the Amazon Basin from a horde of ferocious army ants. I play bluegrass cello, I was scouted by the Mets, I am the subject of numerous documentaries. When I'm bored, I build large suspension bridges in my yard. I enjoy urban hang-gliding. On Wednesdays, after school, I repair electrical appliances free of charge.
I am an abstract artist, a concrete analyst, and a ruthless bookie. Critics worldwide swoon over my original line of corduroy evening wear. I don't perspire. I am a private citizen, yet I receive fan mail. I have been caller number nine and have won the weekend passes. Last summer I toured New Jersey with a traveling centrifugal-force demonstration. I bat .400. My deft floral arrangements have earned me fame in international botany circles. Children trust me.
I can hurl tennis rackets at small moving objects with deadly accuracy. I once read Paradise Lost, Moby ****, and David Copperfield in one day and still had time to refurbish an entire dining room that evening. I know the exact location of every food item in the supermarket. I have performed several covert operations for the CIA. I sleep once a week; when I do sleep, I sleep in a chair. While on vacation in Canada, I successfully negotiated with a group of terrorists who had seized a small bakery. The laws of physics do not apply to me.
I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. I have made extraordinary four course meals using only a mouli and a toaster oven. I breed prizewinning clams. I have won bullfights in San Juan, cliff-diving competitions in Sri Lanka, and spelling bees at the Kremlin. I have played Hamlet, I have performed open-heart surgery, and I have spoken with Elvis.

But I have not yet gone to college

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Not really.... The above was allegedly written as part of a college entrance application.

Not by me.

dulridge

Enlightened
Chronologically

Student
Shop assistant in camera shop
Lab technician in sewage works. (3 above basically concurrent)
school technician - basically getting the science teaching kit to where it was needed.
unemployed - about 18 months
missionary/teacher of chemistry (and anything else that they were short of)
student again
pastor
hospital chaplain in a psychiatric hospital for the last 17 years

Also director of an about to be wound up company that exists to teach Hebrew to tourists in Scotland (Thereby hangs a very long tale)

And p/t IT contractor - started out sorting Macs (did some helpdesk stuff for an ISP - Never again! My experience with the less well in the hospital did come in useful, but you can't give paraldehyde to "customers" over the phone :( ). These days a sort of general purpose network and internet guy. My main customers are print and design outfits but current Macs are far too reliable for my income's liking...

Sarratt

Enlightened
aikiman44 said:
Podiatrist

Is there a reason why people either hate or love feet ?
I mean, have there been studies done on feet-phobia ?

While I appreciate your work and understand it's a valuable service ..... "ewww"

How come there isn't a "hand-oligist" ?

No snickering :ohgeez:

Glock40

Newly Enlightened
I work for a large paper company. I make about 5 million paper towels each day. Think of me next time you dry your hands with paper towels. Someone has to make em. Might as well be me.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I THINK I already posted to this.... but maybe my reitteration will be funnier....

I work on (and sometimes even FIX) Pressure Washers, Steam Cleaners and other things that pump hot or cold water. This is what I have done for the vast majority of my time here on the home planet!

I have also been: a surveour HELPER.... (mostly the first one carrying the "chain" out into the freaking swamp, or being left behind to fix the truck while the others did nice DRY surveing!)

A delivery driver of cleaning goods up to and including bulk delivery of some NASTY smelling tank cleaning stuff!

A "test" driver for Shell Oil Company gasoline (where I really messed up a '95 Dodge Intrepid SE by falling asleep at the wheel - only time I've ever done that!)

Vending machine deliverer/repairer/server...

Best man at two different weddings. One of the couples is even still married!

And I know just enough plumbing/electrical/carpentry stuff to get me in BAD trouble!!!

jayke

Newly Enlightened
I'm a web developer & server engineer for Emerson Communications Corp.

I'm also the operations manager at a hotel in Orlando and the network administrator for 2 resort hotels.

Joe

Last edited:

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did 13 1/2 yrs in the Navy, first 11 yrs as a supply tech, last 2 1/2 as a Master-at-Arms (Cop). Got out in 2002 worked for Home Depot for 3 months, got a job with the Dept of the Army Civilian Police and been a cop again ever since.

Last edited:

cdosrun

Enlightened
A perpetual student. I qualified in Biochemistry (after not getting into medicine), worked in IT (mainly Linux server stuff) for a year or so, converted to law (after not getting into medicine again), and now I am doing my law vocational training (LPC). After all that, I still don't know what I want to do. Testing torches for Fenix does seem to be a new part-time occupation though :)

Andrew

DasRonin

Newly Enlightened
U.S. Army - 4 years - Electronics Instructor

Police Officer - 8 years - Field Training Officer

Deputy United States Marshal (retired 11/05) - 20+ years - Lots of really COOL stuff

Licensed Private Investigator - ? - more cool stuff

fuelblender

Enlightened
Chemical lab technician for a petroleum additives company in Richmond, Virginia. Oil cooker - yep, I cook oil as in oxidation testing. I deal mainly with industrial oils - turbine, hydraulic, gear and transmission.

I used to be a Fuel Blender - hence, my name but I got burned out (no pun intended) after 10 years and applied for this job with the same company.

Been with this this employer for ~28 years. My, how time flies ...

Goran

Newly Enlightened
An administrative job in an insurance company (Generali). Hmm.. I always considered an office job something I would newer do :ohgeez: :laughing:

I'll have to change it for something more (physically) active and less stressful before I start spending money on shrinks :thumbsdow :grin2:

Hmm too bad solitary lighthouses are all automatic now, that would be just about perfect. :drool: