So who's went over to using SSD drives in their computers?

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Flash memory has limited read write cycles (far more limited than HDD) and will fail quickly when used for an OS. When you use this type of memory to record photos or videos and then copy these onto your PCs HDD, they are fine, but for an OS continually writing to its storage you will have problems soon.

Computers use two kinds of a storage, traditionally ram and HD (HDD). Boot up the machine, load up your apps, load up your docs. All of these things transfer data from the HD to the ram. The 'continuous', the back and forth that puts SSDs at risk can be mitigated. A big cause of HD activity, for example, is caches.

Even something as simple as your web browser writing all the images on a few pages can generate dozens of disk actions. But these functions can be limited (and sped up) by directing them to something like a RAM disk: A part of your high speed ram set aside as a mini HD, hit with much of the back and forth activity.

OTOH: Debunking Misconceptions in SSD Longevity

Last edited:

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Another person with an Intel 320 for my system drive, and 3x 1.5 Tb in a raid 5 for my data storage. Do I like fast computers? You KNOW I do