Someone PLEASE build an affordable Ti or Cu AAA light.....

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, what price-range would you consider to be "affordable" for either a copper or a Ti custom-built AAA light?

I see no reason it couldn't be done for between $200-$400, but it really depends on design & LE or not. I remember the Ti D10's weren't very expensive...

easilyled

Flashaholic
I see no reason it couldn't be done for between $200-$400, but it really depends on design & LE or not. I remember the Ti D10's weren't very expensive...

That's a very generous price range.

Ti AAAs like the Sapphire (McGizmo) or the Mako (Endeavor) are priced round about $150.

I would be expecting to pay a similar amount, maybe a little more for one with an extra degree of difficulty in machining (such as knurling).

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curt won't do copper. It's too hard on the cutting bits, and it takes a long time. It is actually more time consuming than titanium, from what I've been told. Not to mention expensive!

When I hear inexpensive, I think $100 and below. I doubt a low volume Cu or Ti light can be had for much cheaper.

Last edited:

Diablo_331

Enlightened
jabe1 said:
Curt won't do copper. It's too hard on the cutting bits, and it takes a long time. It is actually more time consuming than titanium, from what I've been told. Not to mention expensive!

When I hear expensive, I think $100 and below. I doubt a low volume Cu or Ti light can be had for much cheaper.

Keep your eyes open... :)

fyrstormer

Banned
As small as an AAA light is, I'd actually be cool with Stainless as a third option. Copper isn't my favorite idea, unless it can be completely disassembled for refinishing.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The maratac aaa cu is back. Had mine for some months. Great little light. My favorite little aaa light at the moment. The "new" ones are 2 mode and current controlled. I like it way better than the first version with pwm and 3 modes. It's the smallest "non battery crushing" aaa light i have owned. Only the preon p0 and dqg is smaller than the maratac (afaik), but they both use a more flimsy battery crushing design to reduse lenght.. No problem to take it apart for refinish or a simple led swap. But a refinish would ruin the great tarnished look for some weeks atleast :) I like the "old" look of it. Some spots has tarnish, and other spots is constantly polished by my pocket. The more i use it, the better it looks. I used mine on some spearfishing trips to try speed up the tarnish. (hehe, i wont pee on mine). No leaks after swimming down to ~10 meters depth and up again, dunked for a couple of hours pr trip. Not bad :) Knurling is very agressive. Feels like the same type of knurling as the trunite ti got. Really grippy. The maratac cu rev2 really grew on me and made me a little "fanboy", it's great.
The aa version is also out. Im waiting for survival shop to get them in store (5. des). The aaa version has just the right weight/size ratio. Feels perfect. Since it's smaller than most aaa lights, the weight is not bad. Feels just right in my hand/pocket. Maby the aa version will be abit on the heavy side? Can't wait to find out :)

Last edited: