Spelling and Grammar, I'm impressed

cbxer55

Enlightened
Coming here feels like dropping by a cozy lodge and hanging around the fireplace with good company.
:)[/quote]

Cigar and Cognac, anyone??:lolsign:

Last edited:

cbxer55

Enlightened
Me thinks Eluminator is quite the loquacious individual,no?:)

Definitely not a popinjay!:huh2:

Last edited:

drizzle

Enlightened
Add me to the list of those that appreciate the good spelling and grammar here. If you are used to reading books rather than cell phones then a grammar or spelling mistake is like hitting a speed bump.

I have one pet peeve when it comes to spelling and I occasionally see it on this board. I sometimes see the word "lose" (the verb meaning the opposite of find) spelled as "loose" (the adjective meaning the opposite of tight).

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm definitely of the TXT generation too, and like to think I generally spell well and get my point across without making people exert to much effort. I just copy and paste my post in wordpad before I post it. Very short 1 to 3 line posts are an exception, but I try my best to spell properly.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
drizzle said:
:crackup:
Cool! Is it open source? Can you get it on Kazaa? ;)

Methinks you miss the point entirely !!

:dedhorse:

:hairpull:

:banghead:

I took me 14 years to download !!

Last edited:

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I the only one that still uses the Google toolbar? It used to be "de rigueur" with I.E. to stop popups. (Sorry about the French lingo).

9.JPG

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
I like Firefox with the Google toolbar. It's simply better than IE with Google toolbar. (And if you download it using the link on my blog, I get $1, which makes me happy.)

I've never actually tried the spelling checker, though.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
I just installed the Google toolbar. It is really nice and very easy to use.

Maybe my spelling will improve now. :)

Sorry Carrot I downloaded it earlier tonight before I saw your post.

Last edited:

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
carrot said:
I like Firefox with the Google toolbar. It's simply better than IE with Google toolbar. (And if you download it using the link on my blog, I get $1, which makes me happy.)

Now wait a minute. Firefox is free, isn't it. And they still give you proselytizers a buck to get people to use it?

You better believe I used the spell checker on "proselytizers". Amazingly it didn't flag an error. Either I was lucky or Google can't spell either.

P.S. Firefox is no doubt safer to use on the internet. But some of us enjoy living on the edge :)

carrot

Flashaholic
JimH said:
Speaking of blogs, where is yours.
It's in my profile.. http://geekinstinct.com

Eluminator, the main draw to Firefox for me is not necessarily security, as IE can be made pretty secure. It's the tabbed browsing, faster (and proper) rendering of websites, and cleaner interface that makes it so great.

h_nu

Enlightened
Add me to the list of appreciative members of this forum.

I too find these forums to be a comfortable place to read. It's not just the efforts to use proper spelling and grammar. It's the civility and general helpfulness. I feel as though I know many people from all over the world and genuinely like them.

I receive 40 to 50 emails a day at work and they are frequently hard to read. Even those from better educated people leave out critical details. I am left to infer what actions if any need be taken or why I am copied on the messages. At least in Candlepower forums we all know that brightness, runtime, and cost will be mentioned.

Where are the icons for an open book and a snifter?

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
magic79 said:
You are a great example Carrot!

I got a reply from a "customer service" person (in title only) from a vendor that sometimes posts here. It said, in part:

"...I don't think I do that, but, whatever."

Any guess as to the age of the writer? :)

I know a woman who speaks english beautifully, she however, types like crap in personal emails and it annoys the hell out of me. She is only one example out of many.

There are lots of intelligent people out there who know what's right but chooses to type in dialect for any number of reasons. It may be easier, more fun, faster, the 'in thing', it may make people think that you're not too smart giving you leverage in some situations, laziness, habit, whatever. Maybe the writer asumed that common language will make communication easier? I noticed you said " customer service person (in title only)". I assume that the person proved themself unhelpful?

Personally, as you can see, my written english is good enough however, yuh shud hear how a does talk. Ah sure yuh go tink dat I ent have no sense. It can be adjusted if necessary depending on the audience.

Over ten years ago, my chemistry techer blew her fuse in class after correcting a test we had. She basically yelled at us and said that people write how they speak (after complaining about the crap we wrote). Back then I thought "what the heck is her problem?" Now, I understand fully her annoyance. :sigh: The younger generation is getting lazier and lazier every day and even at the university level there are students who still can't write properly.

Last edited:

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aoccdnirg to a rcesaerh at Cmbarigde Uneirvtisy, it deson't mttaer in waht oredr the lteters in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the fsirt and lsat ltteer be at the rhgit pclae.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen that before, but I think it only works if what you are reading is in your first language, not your 2nd, 3rd or 4th.