Spelling and Grammar, I'm impressed

magic79

Enlightened
JimH said:
I've seen that before, but I think it only works if what you are reading is in your first language, not your 2nd, 3rd or 4th.

Actually I disagree! I took it to a native Farsi speaker and a native Indian (is that the name of the language?) speaker and neither had any difficulty.

By the way...I'm seeing "lense" a lot on CPF. Do the Brits add an 'e' or is that just a common misspelling?

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
JimH said:
I've seen that before, but I think it only works if what you are reading is in your first language, not your 2nd, 3rd or 4th.

I have no problem reading those kind of texts, and I read them really fast too. I think it has more to do with how fluent you are in a language.

Sigbjoern

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
ohgeez.gif
. I stand corrected. My apologies to all of you who speak a second language.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem is a bit different for me. I've been out of my country for so long I speak "English as a second language" which is a bit different than English. I very seldom have a chance to speak to native English speakers and when I do it feels odd sometimes. I worry I may end up sounding like a non-native speaker once I return. That would be very odd indeed.

-LT

magic79

Enlightened
Is it just me?

It seems that since this thread was started, spelling and grammar have taken a turn for the worse on CPF! :shrug: :confused:

Last edited:

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
eluminator said:
Am I the only one that still uses the Google toolbar? It used to be "de rigueur" with I.E. to stop popups. (Sorry about the French lingo).

9.JPG

I don't use google toolbars since the company has been aggressively defending their actions of invading people's privacy and refuses to address people's concerns. THere was a discussion a few weeks back on the possible information leak due to the presence of Google Toolbar and google's response was basically "if you don't like it then don't use it". SO I don't.

Navck

Enlightened
Carrot, we both have problems with people from our generation
"0mg li3k stufuu lol0m n00b ur li3k a losah wie u typ lik dat itz dum 4 ew l0lodjagojdaogjdfgj" - Thats the "smarter" kids at my school, the "average" ones look like they took their head and smashed it right into the keyboard, then rolled their head on the board untill the keys popped off and all their hairgel caused the membrane contacts in their keyboard to corrode and register as being held down, causing a long "AS%IUJSHDSI%I$#@(Y_IRW0gufjoipajdgpk pdakpsa SAUSAFJISAJFASDFSAF%)($W6-54w960943205942hd" which somehow can be read between two peers and understood (Amazing! I can't belive how they do it.)

Note - I've been typing like I've always been on CPF since I was 4 and got access to a Macintosh Quadra 650, before that it was a nice Atari Mega ST2 workstation. I pride myself on proper english with 150 WPM of raw speed, roasting brains of childern (While they prefer to be addressed as teenagers, their intelligence makes them look as if they're still in kindergarden) with a pure wall of text. This microagraph was completed in 45 seconds or so, however thats with delays from me thinking, and doing anything else at the moment.

Last edited:

TorchEnvy

Newly Enlightened
I remain convinced that 90% of the English-speaking population cannot properly choose among the following sets of words when writing:

it's/its
they're/there/their
your/you're

Obviously, one cannot tell when those mistakes are made in speech because they sound the same. However, nothing derails my concentration like hearing someone use "seen" instead of "saw."

"I seen you in the flashlight aisle last night." Umm, no...you saw me in the flashlight aisle.

greenLED

Flashaholic
TorchEnvy said:
I remain convinced that 90% of the English-speaking population cannot properly choose among the following sets of words when writing:

it's/its
they're/there/their
your/you're
add: affect/effect to "you're" list ;)

Oh, and wasn't it 90% make up their own statistics? (or was it 62%?)

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am glad I was not born in France as i do not speak french.:huh2:

I have been using Google toolbar spellchecker for a couple of weeks, it`s a pity it doesnt correct you grammar.

3 posts away from the big 1000.

regards.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone recognize these?

"ATM machine"
"RAM memory"
"LCD display"
and more...

It feels like we're all writing each other letters, instead of posting to an online bulletin board.

As a student going for an AA in technical writing and a long-time reader (I can't quite remember a time when I couldn't read), I can barely even bear to use improper grammar when I email myself a file!

I always use "Preview Post" at least two or three times before I hit "Submit Reply." Of course, I've let a few mistakes slip through occasionally, but I think I've caught them all.

I do quite enjoy CPF.

Lightmeup

Enlightened
TorchEnvy said:

it's/its
they're/there/their
your/you're

Obviously, one cannot tell when those mistakes are made in speech because they sound the same. However, nothing derails my concentration like hearing someone use "seen" instead of "saw."

"I seen you in the flashlight aisle last night." Umm, no...you saw me in the flashlight aisle.
How could you overlook the even more abused case of then/than? And don't leave out lose/loose.