Sprucing up my Maglites, Recommendations, Tips, Advice sought.

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
Here is the inventory.

1 3D Red
1 5D Black
1 6C Black

2 6C not operational.

These are all older models with the older heads.

So far I have picked up

One 5 Cell Maglite Xenon Bulb
One Terraflux 140 Lumen 6EX for 4-6 Cell Maglite LED bulb
One Terraflux 140 Lumen 6EXB for 2-3 Cell Maglite LEd bulb
One Craftsman Variable Power LED Replacement bulb - not here yet

I really liked the Terraflux bulbs. The Xenon bulb was not impressive. I also have several Krypton bulbs original to the units.

I was thinking of getting these to try out too, as I am also just playing around abit...

Nite Ize 1 watt LED Replacement Bulb for C and D (Could be used for other non-Mag flashlights as well)
OEM Maglite LED Upgrade bulbs (Check these out against the Terrafluxes) These are Luxeon Rebels?
Fusiion 36 LED Module - Not sure if these fit the older Mags
Terraflux 310EX-M - Not sure if these fit the older Mags (I dont think they do) However Im pretty happy with the 140 lumen Terraflux bulbs.

I would also like to pick up some metal, cammed if possible, reflectors for these uits. Anybody got a line on these?
Also some Pyrex or Boro or other glass lenses to replace the OEM plastic ones. Where can you get these?

Question: are most of these bulbs usable in other non-Mag flashlights? They have the same standardized form factor (besides the screw in type), right?

Also interested in the ROP mod and prefab AA carriages for D cell tubes, but that is for later.

The two 6 C fixers, one has fused corroded batteries in the tube and the switch is jammed forward, plus a broken reflector. The other Ive loaded up with batteries and known good bulbs but cant get light. Both are missing the rubber boots for the switches. Any tips on what to do with these? Send one or both in for Lifetime Warranty?

Thanks! Ive got a bit of the flashlight bug reading the forums here!

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
I got the batteries out of the corroded 6 C Cell flashlight. But the switch is a mess. I reassembled it. I will be sending the two 6C Cell units to a warranty repair center. Hopefully they can put 2 new switch units in and replace the reflector in the one and be up and running again.

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
Last edited:

darkknightlight

Enlightened
Are you looking for incan mods or led? You mentioned the ROP, but seem pretty set on led... Are you just looking for something bright?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
I think Im gonna do all three of the 6 C lights up for auto lights, with aluminium orange peel dimpled reflectors, either Terralux or Maglite upgrade LED bulbs, borosilicate glass lenses and glass breaking tail caps.

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
Im not set on anything. Ive been trying out some stuff. Im pretty newbish.

I find the process of learning stimulating. And would like to try some different things.

In the end, I want the three 6 cells to have decent dependable light with decent run times. So less than 200 lumens but more than 50, say. Ill probably go LED on these. Maybe some lower powered long runtime LED bulbs in the tail caps?

I can play with the 3D and 5D. The 5 D is beside the bed. Thought maybe the Fusion 36 LED Flood might be good on that one.

Maybe an ROP on the 3D? Or would the 5 D be better for that?

Im also not looking to do battery mods. Either NiMH rechargables or Alkalines.

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
The 5D Maglite OEM Xenon bulb didnt impress me too much when I tried it. Especially next to the Terralux 6EX that I got at the same time.

However I read somebody suggest a 5D Xenon with a 6 AA Battery Pack as an alternative to an ROP. Though Id be interested in trying both. However I have 5 D and 3 D Maglite bodies. I guess I could make a wood spacer. Or maybe another configuration with a different bulb or some such.

I also have a Walmart special 2D Made in USA plastic body/host, with a slide switch and a nice multifaceted reflector.

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
Is putting a Terralux 6EX or Maglite 6 Cell Upgrade LED an inefficient use of battery on the 6 cell lights?

darkknightlight

Enlightened
Single emitter Terralux and alkaline cells for the 6c if they're going in your cars. Multiple emitters will pull too much current for alkaline cells to provide.

Turn the 5d into an ROP. Use six nimh c cells (tenergy centura is good) and 1" pvc to center the batteries in the tube. Battery junction has the Centura cells. Use the 3854h bulb, and you'll have about 800 lumens. You'll also need a metal reflector and glass lens for this one.

You really don't need metal reflectors for the led lights since they don't generate heat the way incan bulbs do.

And yeah, you kinda posted in the wrong forum. I know the maglites began their lives as incans, but since you're pretty exclusively seeking to upgrade them to led, the led forum may have been a better spot.

Good luck with your mods!

Edit: listed wrong size battery for ROP mod; correct now

Last edited:

darkknightlight

Enlightened
They may run hot, but leds typically don't generate heat the same way incans do. You'd need to be running a lot of amps through an led to necessitate an aluminum reflector. Either way, if you're willing to spend more money on the drop in and skip the metal reflectors, I'd take a look at led upgrades made by Malkoff. You can probably get one of the older xp-g models for thirty bucks or so, just google Malkoff devices.

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
XP-G Malkoff's all gone.

Thanks again.

I think the dimpled orange peel reflectors help with the LED beam quality as well.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XML Malkoffs are worth it, same durability and reliabilty, just brighter.

Five Mega always is quality as well, not just the kit but likely has some reflectors and other parts.

Might also look into jayrobs maglight mods, 1000 lumen with mods and battery monitor

Britelumens has some reflectors left I think.

Sometimes a Macs customs mag drop in comes up for sale.

There are assorted diy projects as well.

darkknightlight

Enlightened
Xp-g2 Malkoff is in stock, and will put out a lot more light. I'd suggest these for the 6c's you have, as their output will not drop over time as is the case with the terralux modules

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
Thanks. I had checked those a week or 2 ago and they had none in stock.

Im gonna pick up a bunch of stuff to try/test, continue reading, and then make a final plan. Oh what fun!

Last edited:

darkknightlight

Enlightened
Good luck, and have fun with it! Just remember that if you are drawing more than an amp from your c or d batteries (led or incan), you are definitely in the realm of rechargeables, not alkalines.

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
Thanks again for the tips. I have plenty of AA and AAA NiMH (mostly Eneloops) and plenty of chargers for those. Anything else and Ill have to pick up batteries and chargers, maybe down the road.