SPY 007 machining status

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just trying to be helpful, Goat. :grin2:

Say, isn't it past your bedtime.... or is Hods letting you stay up late for something special? :green: :nana:

The last I heard from Goat he was staying out late as a result of a cry for help received from the distraught wife of an (in)famous Ohio Flashaholic. Apparently the recent cold snap has been playing havok with the runtime of some of her husbands equipment.

Good ol' Goat:twothumbs, selfless to the end!:tinfoil:

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
The last I heard from Goat he was staying out late as a result of a cry for help received from the distraught wife of an (in)famous Ohio Flashaholic. Apparently the recent cold snap has been playing havok with the runtime of some of her husbands equipment.

Good ol' Goat:twothumbs, selfless to the end!:tinfoil:

LOL, allright you stiffy, you just dissed me good, and I can't stop laughing. :crackup: LOL, that 'ole Florida goat wouldn't last up here!

Now, back OT, with apologies to Dave. Awesome WIP Spymaster!! :bow:

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
. . .
You guys are like Jay and Silent Bob hanging outside the SPY factory! :tinfoil: :nana: :devil: :party: :drunk:

The place just wouldn't be the same without ya. :grouphug:

Jay_And_Silent_Bob_Strike_Back_06b.jpg

Last edited:

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ditto - not only is the SPY007 the undisputed (IMHO) Flashlight of the Year but it apparently holds the power to unite bickering loons in friendship.

Happy Easter from the UK:party:

:eek::drunk:(busted!:grin2:)

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was THERE!! Wow! Dave's making them, one by one, step by step, carefully he goes......a new SATR is born!!!:twothumbs

Karl

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast

... I love it when Hollywood types and gangsters try to show how tough they are with guns. The chick in the middle is going to get a face full of hot brass if she pulls the trigger like that! Idiots.

EM, I may take you up on your offer!! :crackup:

MSax

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was there!!! WadaImgonna say? Wow! :party: I took pictures but the only viewable one was of Master Data himself!!! Dave even ended up having to show me some of the features on my own camera! :shrug: Clearly my second career isn't going to be with National Geographic unless I get posed being swallowed by some beast! Sorry.

I e-mailed Dave following an amazing afternoon of education and entertainment and told him the rumor was that the 007s were being created (baked?) by elves (Santa's, Kiebler's?????)-- well, I sure didn't see any elves running around (Dave's cute kids....but no elves!) and I even checked out the Treehouse just to be sure! Nope, no elves and, didn't see anyone either than Dave manning the controls so, rumors are dashed folks, it's Dave building them!---Starts with a big chunk of metal (Titanium for all of you metalheads out there!), slices off smaller pieces and then, after a pretty fair amount of whirling and splashing and other machine shop-type sounds, a SPY007 is born!!! It was one of the most amazing activities I have witnessed :twothumbsand, and, as I am sure Dave will tell you after hours of first-hand experience with me, I wasn't born yesterday (too much gray, too little hair) so, you can just imagine. Dave and his lovely wife are jaded with the creation of 005s and 007s by this time and liken the process it to watching paint dry and grass grow. Well, that just ain't true--it's more like the movies if you ask me.

Folks, you have no idea of the thrill of the SPY 007 "in person" (notwithstanding Dave himself)! Line forms to the rear! Thanks for the time Dave!

Karl

Folks, you have no idea of the thrill of the SPY 007 "in person" (notwithstanding Dave himself)!
Oh yes we do, Karl! Those of us at SHOT had the pleasure of handling the protos of this knockout. Thanks Dave. :thumbsup: Needless to say, the Spy 007's were the most coveted lights of the show. Can't wait to have one!

What fun to see them being born in person. That would be thrilling!

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
:cool: Work Dave :thumbsup:
Wish I could Nip over & watch a cycle :thinking:

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
What fun to see them being born in person. That would be thrilling!

Well, I have to tell ya, It Was Thrilling!!!!:nana: :rock:

Thanks Dave and Mrs. Dave (not sure if you wanted your real name posted for security reasons:crackup:) for having me down to spy the spy007 being machined, and to ruin the plans you had for Dave this afternoon.:ohgeez: :stupid:

I feel honored to know such a master craftsman, and I can tell you all that it is not an easy task building the spy007. Dave has spent countless hours designing, programming, setting up tooling, assembling, ordering materials, testing, fine tuning, etc,etc,etc........you know what I mean.:twothumbs :bow: :wow: To see it is to LOVE IT!!!!:faint:

Thanks again Dave for having me.;):)

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has been fun having Stan, Karl and dizzy stop by the shop. Thanks guys!

The first 30 bodies are finished! :)

On to the knobs.

Cheers
Dave

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
3.5 hours for the body only (bat cap not included).
For someone who doesn't have any specific knowledge about CNC and milling in general, this sound like a huge amount of time to machine a body :eek:

Is this a rather slow process you are using or is it a "normal" duration for that kind of sized/complexity part to machine?

thanks for all the update!

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
For someone who doesn't have any specific knowledge about CNC and milling in general, this sound like a huge amount of time to machine a body :eek:

Is this a rather slow process you are using or is it a "normal" duration for that kind of sized/complexity part to machine?

thanks for all the update!

It is a normal amount of time to machine a titanium part of this size and complexity. I have pushed all the tools until they break and then backed off.
Still, I have to pull all the tools out and check them every cycle or so.

It could be done ~25% faster if you throw enough money and time at it, say another couple hundred $K. Titanium aerospace parts like spacecraft parts and fighter airplane parts are made the same way I make the 007. They usually use high end machines that get $250 plus per hour not including tooling and setup costs.

If the item's production is in the thousands of copies, then a casting can be a good solution as you see in titanium hand guns. I have three cast titanium 005 bodies that were made in Canada a couple years back but they were not right, so I never finished them out. Cast parts also often have voids that make some percent of the parts unusable.

Titanium is one of the most amazing metals on the planet. But machining it takes time.

Cheers
Dave

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
The anticipation is starting to get to me... Not being on here for half a day this weekend resulted in me completely missing a shot at the Lunasol wave. If that happens on the Spy I will be *sick*...