SPY 007 machining status

Chief-Yeah

Newly Enlightened
It is a normal amount of time to machine a titanium part of this size and complexity. I have pushed all the tools until they break and then backed off.
Still, I have to pull all the tools out and check them every cycle or so.

It could be done ~25% faster if you throw enough money and time at it, say another couple hundred $K. Titanium aerospace parts like spacecraft parts and fighter airplane parts are made the same way I make the 007. They usually use high end machines that get $250 plus per hour not including tooling and setup costs.

If the item's production is in the thousands of copies, then a casting can be a good solution as you see in titanium hand guns. I have three cast titanium 005 bodies that were made in Canada a couple years back but they were not right, so I never finished them out. Cast parts also often have voids that make some percent of the parts unusable.

Titanium is one of the most amazing metals on the planet. But machining it takes time.

Cheers
Dave

mind if I ask what cad/cam software you're using ? I'm a former CNC'er (10yrs) and I'm currently looking into getting a tool room mill and I'd just like to see what the general consensus is,thanks.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
mind if I ask what cad/cam software you're using ? I'm a former CNC'er (10yrs) and I'm currently looking into getting a tool room mill and I'd just like to see what the general consensus is,thanks.

Over on cnczone.com and practicalmachinest.com there is lots of CAD/CAM info. Also please post in the machining forum here at CPF what you are looking at. We will give you more input than you can stand. :eek:

I use Autodesk Inventor 2008 and Open Mind Hypermill Expert. If that is too high end for your budget take a look at OneCNC. I think they are good for the money (low to mid range $1500 to $4500).

Look into a used VMC with an enclosure ($15000 to $25000). It makes a big difference when you actually start making stuff. Send me your phone number in an email if you want to talk more.

Cheers
Dave

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
The last I heard from Goat he was staying out late as a result of a cry for help received from the distraught wife of an (in)famous Ohio Flashaholic. Apparently the recent cold snap has been playing havok with the runtime of some of her husbands equipment.

Good ol' Goat:twothumbs, selfless to the end!:tinfoil:

I have been away on a special assignment:whistle:... have I missed anything?

In all seriousness, the call for help went out 1st to Hodsta but due to the logistical trouble, he enlisted my help. As mentioned earlier, selflessness is what it takes to be the Goatee of CPF so I answered the call.

Apparently, the problems are a bit worse than 1st suspected... runtime is not the issue so much as... how can I put this gently... well... non-function except in response to titanium is the real issue.

Things should be better now for the forseable future:naughty::devil::grin2:

All in a day's work:nana:

B.T.W. If I pull the trigger on the Spy 007, I may need the assistance of a divorce attorney. PM me with your names. The Spy 007 just may be worth it.

Stan671

Enlightened
Here is the rough cut of my video from visiting Dave and watching one whole SPY007 titanium body being milled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EFqkTiMa2g <---- CHECK OUT THE VIDEO !!!

Dave was still working to streamline the process and there were two occasions when the tool holder contacted the piece by mistake. Dave was able to modify the program and recut the piece and save that valuable chunk of titanium.

The whole process took 7 hours for one body. As Dave has mentioned earlier in this thread, he has been able to cut that time down considerably, but that was after much experimentation and trials.

After spending the day with Dave and seeing all that goes into designing and planning and actually cutting a SPY 007 body, it certainly has raised my appreciation for the artistry behind the flashlight.

He takes every (and I mean EVERY) detail of this flashlight into consideration. There are aspects of the design and milling of this flashlight that nobody will notice or even see that are all thought about and incorporated.

Dave truely is a master at what he does. And everyone that owns a SPY flashlight holds a little bit of that greatness in his hand.

chipwillis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great video, I must say a lot of work has went into this light from the looks of. I so need to be on the first wave. My fellow cops won't know what the hell it is until I blind them with it:p.

Stan671

Enlightened
This video is a collection of bunch of short takes and a few still pictures edited together. I will see if I can make a decent looking (and sized) file for download also.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Wow, Stan - great video! So it only takes 9 minutes 45 seconds to make a SPY007 body? Dave, you should be able to finish these in a couple hours! :p :duck: :wave:

So for a total machining noob, can you tell me where the heck all that water or coolant goes does it get recycled, or drained into what's now called Lake Data, behind Dave's house? :D

Awesome job guys.

:tinfoil: john

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
John

The coolant tank in the mill holds 60 gallons. Coolant is water with 10% water soluble oil in it. I never drain the tank, but still the coolant is consumed as some of it sticks to the chips as I take them out an put them in the recycle barrel. After a few hundred hours of machining I have to add more coolant to the tank.

JohnTz

Enlightened
I just watched the video. Fantastic! :thumbsup:

I will get one of these but it will probably be the second wave as I just got a Lunasol from Don so I have to let the credit card cool for a month.:broke:

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stan - many thanks for posting the video:thumbsup:.

Dave - awesome process to watch

sculpted from Titanium, designed by Dave, machined by a Robot..... only to be used by an idiot

doesn't seem right somehow:laughing: I am not worthy!:eek::bow:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stan - many thanks for posting the video:thumbsup:.

Dave - awesome process to watch

sculpted from Titanium, designed by Dave, machined by a Robot..... only to be used by an idiot

doesn't seem right somehow:laughing: I am not worthy!:eek::bow:

Hods,

Too dim and not worthy to be called an idiot is more like it:poke::kiss:

As a result, you should send me your Spy 007 the moment that it arrives so that a real idiot can use it.

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hods,

Too dim and not worthy to be called an idiot is more like it:poke::kiss:

As a result, you should send me your Spy 007 the moment that it arrives so that a real idiot can use it.

:crackup:

Goat - with all due respect that would be like Laurel giving Hardy a flashlight as a prize for being the smart one:p!

Last edited:

Amorphous

Enlightened
:crackup:

Goat - with all due respect that would be like Laurel giving Hardy a flashlight as a prize for being the smart one:p!

:D:D:D

f7_3b.jpg

Stan, thanks for the video.

Dave, we are all dancing for your 007.

Amorphous

(picture from http://www.laurelandhardy.org/jitterbugs.htm )

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave - firstly, please accept my abject apology, certain posts of mine within this thread appear to be attracting all sorts of riff raff:whistle:!:laughing:

I reckon a projected release date may be a useful distraction to help keep this thread OT:devil:!

I don't think you can really get the full impact of that humor without a head slap and an eye poke.

Great idea, feel free and give Goat a couple for me;)!

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
. . .
I reckon a projected release date may be a useful distraction to help keep this thread OT:devil: . . .

Middle of April is my guess. . .

the knobs are only going to take another 2 days work, but I am putting it off. The difficult knurling part in op1 is complete. So, I have switched over to working on the battery caps. I do not know how many days they will take but I suspect not more than 5 including optimization of CAM code. At that point all the major components will be complete for the first 30 lights. The other items that I have to work are; STFu switch and battery beads, LED with leads potted in heat sink, go to PF10, turn nuts for knobs, 0-80 thread insert turned and glued in body, battery cap internals machined and built out, op2 and op3 on knobs, polish knobs, cut Teflon bushings, cut Teflon washers, build out knob and body, do my taxes, final assembly, programming and calibration. That is most of it. That is minimum 3 weeks work and that puts it at about the middle of April. :tinfoil:

Dave

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW:eek:! Do you have any help with all that? Have you built in any contingency for post PF10 recovery time?:D

I can think of few items I own where such a level of pride and personal commitment to quality have been demonstrated when compared to your 007 endeavor.

It's one of the main reasons I'm so anxious to get my grubby paws on it and want it now, yesterday, very soon:huh:. In complete contradiction it's also the reason why I will be happy to wait, with barely a :poke: until you say it meets your expectation and is ready for release into the wild.

I'm just not sure if Mack, myself and Goat can remain civil during the interim!:nana:!

Dog Chaser

Enlightened
On the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake Bay
Middle of April is my guess. . .

the knobs are only going to take another 2 days work, but I am putting it off. The difficult knurling part in op1 is complete. So, I have switched over to working on the battery caps. I do not know how many days they will take but I suspect not more than 5 including optimization of CAM code. At that point all the major components will be complete for the first 30 lights. The other items that I have to work are; STFu switch and battery beads, LED with leads potted in heat sink, go to PF10, turn nuts for knobs, 0-80 thread insert turned and glued in body, battery cap internals machined and built out, op2 and op3 on knobs, polish knobs, cut Teflon bushings, cut Teflon washers, build out knob and body, do my taxes, final assembly, programming and calibration. That is most of it. That is minimum 3 weeks work and that puts it at about the middle of April. :tinfoil:

Dave
I like how you slipped that in there!