Spy Questions

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only finish I currently make is the machined finish. I am in R&D with a new finish but so far it is not what I am looking for. So it is not an option yet and frankly I can't be certain when it ever will be.

I plan to make more 007 lights in the machined finish but the schedule is not set.

Cheers
Dave
I'm willing to experiment on some 007 bodies...Blaster at the ready:)

tpchan

Newly Enlightened
Would some kind Spy 007 owner please measure and provide some accurate dimensions. Max. height, Max width, Max depth. I can't seem to find this information in the multitude of Spy threads.

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, what's stopping ya? :D

Seriously, don't blast your light, OK? I may take you up on that in the future but with test parts.

Cheers
Dave
Seriously, can the SPY007 be bead blasted? I would think it is mandatory to dissassemble the light to blast the Ti parts, do you confirm this?

Who's gonna be the first to blast a 007? :sssh::faint:

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seriously, can the SPY007 be bead blasted? I would think it is mandatory to dissassemble the light to blast the Ti parts, do you confirm this?

Who's gonna be the first to blast a 007? :sssh::faint:

I have blasted some but I still can't find the look I want. TB has the process down good.

If you blast the light it should be assembled but without the innards.

Cheers

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
Part of the 007's beautiful finish is in the uniform tooling marks...If you blast the light, the blasted finish will alter the look, and also change the way light reflects off the faceted surfaces.

Think twice, blast once...There's no turning back.

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
TB - is it possible to mask surfaces and obtain a high contrast edge between blasted and not?? If so what materials are available. Not intending or equipped to do this myself - just interested.

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
TB - is it possible to mask surfaces and obtain a high contrast edge between blasted and not?? If so what materials are available. Not intending or equipped to do this myself - just interested.
Yes

Common electrical tape is excellent for masking, for protection and/or contrast.

tattoo45601

Newly Enlightened
What is the size of the cavity in the on/off switch.
Gonna try and have something unique made for it.
Thanks

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Q-once or twice a day 0318 will fail to respond to me twisting the knob. Any way to remedy this behavior?:thinking:

Mayo

(PS Using AW 3.7 cells):shrug:

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Q-once or twice a day 0318 will fail to respond to me twisting the knob. Any way to remedy this behavior?:thinking:

Mayo

(PS Using AW 3.7 cells):shrug:

Sounds broken to me. Please send me an email with more information.

EDIT: you should test the light with new primary cells to see if it has the same symptoms just to rule out those unknowns.

Last edited:

werdnawee

Newly Enlightened
3" X 1.5" X 1" +/- .050"

Thanks for the info. That really is tiny. (no wonder it's called the Spy)

I like to measure things out on paper and construct them to see how they feel in 3D. Is that from "base to top of reflector" or "base to base of reflector"?

My questions are -

1. Can I get some outdoor beamshots of the 007?

2. How do you operate it in hand? Can you turn on/off with one hand using your thumb? (I guess an "in hand" photo would really show it)

3. I was going to pull the trigger when there were 4 lights left but I only started reading about the 007 last week.

When do you think the next run will be? (and hopefully when the Australian Dollar picks up from US$0.61 :mecry:)

It's all about timing. 3 months ago, it would have cost me AUD1,052. Today, it would have been AUD1,666. OUCH!!!

4. Any issues with international shipping for such an interesting looking light? I think Australian customs would think it WAS a weapon or that I really WAS a spy.

Thanks

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
Werdnawee,

Q's answered as best I can below

1. Can I get some outdoor beamshots of the 007?
I don't recall seeing outdoor beam shots but that may say more about my memory than thier existance:shrug:.

2. How do you operate it in hand? Can you turn on/off with one hand using your thumb? (I guess an "in hand" photo would really show it)
Even better than a photo - check out the video. The switch can also be spun quickly to give an instant high.:grin2:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HXqu9KLcosU]

3. I was going to pull the trigger when there were 4 lights left but I only started reading about the 007 last week.

When do you think the next run will be? (and hopefully when the Australian Dollar picks up from US$0.61 :mecry:)
Only Dave can answer this, there are a few of us who'd be interested to know when tha horn will start a honking again:twothumbs. However Dave has already stated above that the schedule is still to be set and none of us round here would begrudge him some beer and pizza time:grin2:.

It's all about timing. 3 months ago, it would have cost me AUD1,052. Today, it would have been AUD1,666. OUCH!!!

4. Any issues with international shipping for such an interesting looking light? I think Australian customs would think it WAS a weapon or that I really WAS a spy.
Dave's shipped 100's of Spy 005's and 130 Spy007's and no issues to date
so don't think you should be worried about this.

Last edited:

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the answers.

Another Q : how can I make the tailcap button really waterproof? If I don't mistake, it's the only place where water could leak if the 007 was immerged, right?

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the answers.

Another Q : how can I make the tailcap button really waterproof? If I don't mistake, it's the only place where water could leak if the 007 was immerged, right?

Dave recommends filling the cavity where the battery pin sits with silicon caulk - check out the FAQ is the Spy Instructions thread (which may end up getting moved to here).

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kicking back in the US with good pizza and tequila - sounds a perfect distraction from rainy ol' England.

I have another question - if only to distract us back on topic!

What emitter was in Chevofreakes/7777's Spy005 used in the epic run times tests? (you should sticky that thread Dave:twothumbs)
Has the increase in performance of LEDs been harnessed purely as increased brightness or should we expect longer runtimes also?

That was a Luxeon three emitter and the old downboy based converter board. The runtimes that it gave are very similar to what I would expect for the STFu. The DB board had the same current levels set as the STFu does now. However the old Lux3 had a slightly higher forward voltage than the newer emitters do. That should increase the runtimes slightly. Also the switcher (DC to DC) in the STFu is more efficient than the old DB board but it did not have a uP to power up. Add to all that that batteries are improving as well and it is hard to say exactly how they compare. My only run time test on the STFu was at power level 6 (1000 mA) and it gave exactly what chrvrofreak's chart gave. Of course we get way more lumens now than in the old days. :twothumbs