Status
Not open for further replies.

Amorphous

Enlightened
Dave,

:wow: I would like to sign up for 2 SPY005s
( 1 Natural with Logo #1 )
( 1 Black with Logo #1 )

Also, will there be a future Titanium SPY005? I will be very interested.
Thanks

Amorphous

Last edited:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree, the the PD certainly has some outside the box thinking in its design. I own 2 of them and EDC the first one I got from Don, a U-Bin. I have got to say the the SPY005 is even further out of the box than the PD based on visual appearance alone. I am always attracted to somthing new and different. Throw in a new driver or better yet a K2 and I am really all over it. What I am saying is that I have at least one of each of most the current LUX III single cell lights. As far as i am concerned most of these lights, while of varying designs, most are just rehashes. A LUX III on top of a driver with a reflector all stuck into a small form factor body. The SPY005 is definitely a departure from this.

That was my point.
Yaesumofo

arewethereyetdad said:
James, the McLuxIII-PD was some outside-the-box thinking.

Bob_G

Enlightened
I'll take one Black, probably no logo, but I'll wait for the inevitable sample engraving pics :)

Edit: Oops, I live in Kentucky, USA.

Last edited:

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
yaesumofo said:
Finally some outside the box thinking.
I will go for one.
Any chance of a Luxeon K2 version?
Yaesumofo

We plan to offer a K2 upgrade kit. The kit may just be the emitter on a heat-sync with a modified reflector or it may include a new converter board as well. In any case the SPY is easily field upgradeable.

Cheers
Dave

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bob_G said:
I'll take one Black, probably no logo, but I'll wait for the inevitable sample engraving pics :)

I am betting some people will change their minds when they see how good the logos look. They are going to be pretty small and I think they will add to the "micro" style of the SPY. But as you say, lets see some pictures. . . they are coming.

Last edited:

Bob_G

Enlightened
Hmm, small sounds interesting, I was picturing large. I live on a 5 acre wooded lot in a very rural subdivision of only about 20 houses over 125 acres. Been watching crows for years, they nest here in the "yard." They follow me as I mow, like a dog almost, until they find something interesting. When I come around on the next lap, they casually move out of the way, then go back to whatever they were doing.

So, #1 logo is starting to sound intriguing - time will tell.

Raindrop

Enlightened
Data said:
I am betting some people will change their minds when they see how good the logos look. They are going to be pretty small and I think they will add to the "micro" style of the SPY. But as you say, lets see some pictures. . . they are coming.

I have to agree that the logo will be a nice touch. Please put me down for TWO Black with Logo #3

Thanks,

Greg aka Raindrop

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in - black, logo 3, location: Michigan.

It will match my SPY001 perfectly!

Modesty runs rampant here at the CPF, and David you are no exception.

Fellow CPFers, David neglected to mention that his first SPY product, the 001 that I am lucky enough to own in pristine condition (medicine cabinet queen), was a huge commercial success.

Note the striking family form factor, and the subtle but significant changes to the logos.

spy001b8nt.jpg

spy001c4ca.jpg

Here are the specs:
Size: 3.625 X 1.625 X 0.938"
Weight: 61.6 g, 2.2 oz. with battery
Battery: 1 X AA
Runtime: Over a year with typical use

Description:

This little powerhouse is constructed of a Nitrolon type proprietary polymer. Lightweight, durable, and perfectly balanced, it is a perfect example of outside-the-box thinking. Heck, this thing even runs well on carbon-zinc primaries!

It has a "slidey" switch that doesn't allow momentary, but it does have a buttery smooth feel, and a positive engagement indent. Unlike the 005, the 001 has a very easy to use battery cover that basically opens the entire side below the laser (printed) logo.

As with the SPY005, the head is field removable, and for lack of better words let me describe the tip as an unprecedently high-domed optic.

The 001 is not dunkable, but it is very splash resistant, and even more importantly sneeze resistant. To paraphrase one of our more well-known reviewers, if it gets wet just disassemble it as much as you can, and let it dry out before reassembly.

The 001 is not "regulated" as we know it, but it has a very elegant and simple inertial governing system that I don't fully comprehend. Suffice it to say that the governing device does not consume any power nor add additional parts. Thermal management is excellent; only the most sensitive parts of your body will notice a slight warmth in operation.

The 001 does exhibit a slight whirring (understatement) when on, but this serves as a reminder when the unit is left on.

Thoughtful touches abound: an integral and sturdy lanyard attachment point, generous ribbing on the body and switch, 1/8 turn removable head, built-in polarity protection, and more.

Okay, so this is not a photon emitting device as the 005. But further outside-the-box thinking on David's part is evidenced by the fact that this device allows more light transmission into the smallest of passages maximizing the available light - brilliant!

Last edited:

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
====== some updates on our progress ======

Wayne just got me three new prototype boards and I am so excited I could wet myself. :crazy: But first I will give you all a little background on the electronics.

As you all probably know our rev 1 board has a problem with flashing a pulse when it is clicked from one level to another level. The switch we are using is a non-shorting type and when combined with the rev 1 logic created the problem. A few weeks later Wayne sent me rev 2 boards a day before our Ghost Mountain trip. I was happy we had lights to show everybody at Ghost mtn but we still needed a complete solution. Then about a week ago Wayne sends me an email where he talks about having a breakthrough on the design and how he is off in the dungeon solder flying all over the place!

:candle: :ohgeez: :sweat: :poof: :p

(back to current time)
This morning I installed the new board in my light and it is perfect! No flicker or pulse from off to level one and on up to level 6 it is so cool to see it work. Thank you Wayne! [happy dance] :bow:

The final piece has fallen in place! Wayne has now made it much easier for me to gaze into the crystal ball and see the manufacturing time line. After this sign up list thread has run through next weekend I should be able to update everybody.

Elsewhere, Keith, at my partner machine shop told me today that he is just finishing a job this week on his CNC lathe and when it is done he can start work on the new production knobs for me. Yahoo! I can not wait to see them. Keith will also be making the head and lens-ring.

My next task is to make a prototype of the new head so we can all see it in the flesh (cold aluminum). That should be complete in a few days because I am going to cut the new surface into some of Keith's old heads that were never chromed, stay tuned. Then I will be tearing my machine down for some cleaning and maintenance in preparation for the production of the bodies. I am chomping at the bit to get them started because my machine alone will have to run day and night for a couple weeks just to make the ones ordered so far!

I will keep you all up to date as Wayne's work, Keith's work and my work progresses.

Thank you everybody for all the orders.

Cheers
Dave

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
What endeavour said! :thumbsup:

BTW, I don't need to use my nose trimmer thanks to the coffee that defoliated my nostrils upon reading a certain few posts! :grin2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts