Stock Up On Ican's - For your home

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have taken most of my incans out of service, haven't bought any in close to 10 years now, CFLs work fine, cost less to operate and make less heat and don't need to be replaced as often.

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only road to equal results [for the many] is tyranny.

We can live as free beings with life being unfair, or we can live under tyrannical rule, still, life will not be fair, because someone is the tyrant.

Eric

Got it ;)

Also, does anyone know if there are any health benefits for certain kinds of bulbs? It seems to me like incans won't make nearly enough UV, same goes for LEDs.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Funny how this topic came up again ;)

Hoarding mains rated incandescents is humorous when you consider halogen incandescent bulbs (30% more efficient) have become well established in the market already :p

What's wrong with wanting to improve your home's electrical efficiency Lux (and thus reduce utility rates/fees)? :thinking:

Nothing at all wrong as long as you are not being FORCED by some nitwits in Govt. who barely can tell their you-know-what from a hole in the ground -- to do/use what their liberal constituents decide everyone should do, while driving around in their own fleet of SUV, and private jets....and if the proposed replacements looked and performed the way you want artificial lighting to perform.

If someone likes the look of CFL lighting, despite their surprisingly short lifetimes since they were not rated for normal use being typically turned on/off, and as long as they don't break while unscrewing, or drop and explode the toxic materials all over, then they are free to buy them. To force the outlaw of manufacturing of incans in the USA when there is still a demand for them is insane, and will make people buy them from other countries who still have jobs making them. It's more fallout from the fictitious man caused global warming wealth redistribution scheme.

Aren't you glad you asked?

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did anyone else notice that they showed a clip of an escalade with HID headlights when the narrator said "more efficient halogen bulbs?" It seems like they don't even know the difference between the two.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did anyone else notice that they showed a clip of an escalade with HID headlights when the narrator said "more efficient halogen bulbs?" It seems like they don't even know the difference between the two.

Yea, I saw that and rolled my eyes. I honestly don't think most people know the difference. And of course it's not uncommon for news reporters and staff to have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. :shakehead

fyrstormer

Banned
I've been stocking up for awhile now, but I need to get much more.

This is sad and sickening that the government can get away with this.

I won't have CFL's in my house. Buy all the incans you can to prevent our landfills from filling up with mercury from CFL's.

And yea MSNBC is basically like bringing totalitarian communism into your living room.
The mercury contained in a CFL is much less than the mercury released into the air by burning the extra coal necessary to power an incandescent lightbulb. At least a few of them won't end up in the landfills anyway, because there are CFL recycling boxes at every hardware store in my area, and plenty of other areas as well I imagine. So your "less pollution by using incans" logic is bunk. Also, totalitarianism and communism are diametric opposites.

As for whether it's sad and sickening that the government can get away with passing regulations, I suggest you leave politics out of the discussion before I or someone else take the bait.

Last edited:

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
xxx said:
msnbc is basically like bringing totalitarian communism into your living room.
Anyone else get a laugh?
Its such a strong characterization...gives the impression some-one at fox news (faux news) made up that talking point, 'msnbc is totalitarian communism,' and is gonna run a goggle search in a week to see how many times it was repeated.

Best,
L

Communism (aiming towards common ownership, open access to services, shared standards of living)
-is on the opposite side of the political spectrum from-
Totalitarianism (an absolute rule, by individual or group, who control all and make all decisions)

Last edited:

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
and if the proposed replacements looked and performed the way you want artificial lighting to perform.

I'll honestly have to take your word on that as I've not tried the high efficiency halogen mains bulbs (though I do intend to shortly), but having said that I had imagined they would behave in a similar manner to the 12v variety...

If someone likes the look of CFL lighting, despite their surprisingly short lifetimes since they were not rated for normal use being typically turned on/off, and as long as they don't break while unscrewing, or drop and explode the toxic materials all over, then they are free to buy them. To force the outlaw of manufacturing of incans in the USA when there is still a demand for them is insane, and will make people buy them from other countries who still have jobs making them. It's more fallout from the fictitious man caused global warming wealth redistribution scheme.

In my personal experience I've found the length of service (with CFL's) is directly related to the quality of manufacture and generally have found the units lasting well (Philips CFL bulbs), our porch light for example was replaced after 6 years... I was lucky to get 12 months+ out of the (now outlawed) incandescent bulbs, FWIW our home is completely CFL converted and out of all those I find I might be having to replace a bulb (CFL) at a rate of 1 per 6 months which is significantly less than the previous incandescent replacement schedule :thumbsup:

Higher efficiency is a good goal... in previous years the population's electricity needs have begun to "out strip" the State's energy suppliers ability to provide making "brown outs" more common place during summer here, living on the fringe of an electricity grid means we experience complete power outages 2~4 times per year and by people making our energy work smarter (CFL's) and not harder (inefficient incandescents) there is simply more "juice on tap" to share around... and that's a good thing! :D

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I'll honestly have to take your word on that as I've not tried the high efficiency halogen mains bulbs (though I do intend to shortly), but having said that I had imagined they would behave in a similar manner to the 12v variety...

In my personal experience I've found the length of service (with CFL's) is directly related to the quality of manufacture and generally have found the units lasting well (Philips CFL bulbs), our porch light for example was replaced after 6 years... I was lucky to get 12 months+ out of the (now outlawed) incandescent bulbs, FWIW our home is completely CFL converted and out of all those I find I might be having to replace a bulb (CFL) at a rate of 1 per 6 months which is significantly less than the previous incandescent replacement schedule :thumbsup:

Higher efficiency is a good goal... in previous years the population's electricity needs have begun to "out strip" the State's energy suppliers ability to provide making "brown outs" more common place during summer here, living on the fringe of an electricity grid means we experience complete power outages 2~4 times per year and by people making our energy work smarter (CFL's) and not harder (inefficient incandescents) there is simply more "juice on tap" to share around... and that's a good thing! :D

Those all sound like personal choices which you liked making, and which I salute you for doing what you wanted. My thing is all about choice, and letting the market/demand/preferences decide.

We have never had a brownout where I live. Hurricane/storm related outages, yes. Maybe if such a shortage was real here, I would make other choices....maybe. It is like the US Govt. prohibiting the good old 8-10 gallon per flush toilets in areas that don't have water shortages.

When I use incans in my home, I usually buy ones rated for 2500, 5000, or 10,000, or even 20,000 hours, so I have a hard time remembering the last time I changed them. I don't remember the brand of CFL, but whatever was selling at Home Depot a couple years ago. How much more expensive are those CFL's than my 20,000 hour incan bulbs?

Noone at our house liked how the CFL's looked, and I was not taking used CFL bulbs that might break in route back to a hardware store--even if I had seen a recycle box--which I have not. So, into the trash they went.

High efficiency is a worthwhile goal, but not at the expense of providing quality, soothing, light.

Last edited:

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
I converted about half the house to CFL, and am fed up with them. As they fail, I'm changing them to the "30%" halogen bulbs, which IMHO put out a far better light than CFL or even the original incandescents. Yes, they're that good. I'm totally sold on them. It's only a pity they are only available in wattages between 28 and 70; I would use lower and higher wattages than that if available.

Edit: Having read Starhalo's post, I feel it important to point out that it is the inside-frosted halogen A19 bulbs I am so keen on. They look like the classic "pearl" bulbs for exposed fittings, at least until you turn them on. Then the quality of light you get is simply outstanding. I used to think of these bulbs as merely a compromise; a way of avoiding the incan ban, but I now think of them as a great step forward.

Last edited:

hoongern

Enlightened
I have no issue here with people using incans/CFLs/LED lighting, but it seems that many of you have had issues with CFLs.. I'm not sure why - but the technology is mature and stable.

If you go to a country like Malaysia or Singapore, CFLs have been in use for many decades (I've never seen any incans) - and failure rates aren't high. Depending on usage, a CFL tube has to be changed maybe every 2-3yrs, and electical consumption is much lower. Millions of people use CFLs.

So, if your decision to use incans and to stock up on them is a personal one, that's fine :) But I just wanted to note that the CFL technology isn't that bad, it's pretty reliable..

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have never had a brownout where I live. Hurricane/storm related outages, yes. Maybe if such a shortage was real here, I would make other choices....maybe. It is like the US Govt. prohibiting the good old 8-10 gallon per flush toilets in areas that don't have water shortages.

You are aware that every joule you use is a joule not available somewhere else, right? You are contributing to brown outs and water shortages elsewhere by being wasteful... Those extra 8 or so gallons are 8 or so gallons that a farmer can't use to make food.

rwolff

Enlightened
The legislators who implemented the ban failed to consider one important thing: there are a number of applications where incandescents are perfect for the job because they're a readily-available low wattage heater. Want to keep your kitchen pipes from freezing? Put a lamp in the cabinet underneath. Farmers put an incandescent lamp in the chick brooder in cold weather, and how much do you adjust cooking times in your kids' EZ-Bake oven when you switch from incandescent to CFL?

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
The legislators who implemented the ban failed to consider one important thing: there are a number of applications where incandescents are perfect for the job because they're a readily-available low wattage heater. Want to keep your kitchen pipes from freezing? Put a lamp in the cabinet underneath. Farmers put an incandescent lamp in the chick brooder in cold weather, and how much do you adjust cooking times in your kids' EZ-Bake oven when you switch from incandescent to CFL?

Heat lamps will still be available. As someone mentioned, this law does not effect "specialty" incans, and I'm sure as long as farmers need decent amounts of heat AND light there will still be "chicken coop" incans.

Imon

Enlightened
This is kind of a bummer. Perhaps this signifies the beginning of the end of incandescent bulbs in the home. They only talked about one company in the video but considering the figures they were giving it looks like incandescent bulb sales are pretty bad all-around.

Before I stock up on any bulbs though I think I'll wait a bit. I don't think they'll be going away any time soon...

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
You are aware that every joule you use is a joule not available somewhere else, right? You are contributing to brown outs and water shortages elsewhere by being wasteful... Those extra 8 or so gallons are 8 or so gallons that a farmer can't use to make food.

That is the erroneous thinking that led to justifying the aforementioned restrictions.

My regional water supply is determined solely by the supply and rainfall in specific local reservoirs that have never been transferred nor related to other locations. There has never been a restriction or shortage of water in this area, and they don't transport water from Connecticut to Colorado. If I chose to live in Colorado, I would willingly restrict my water use.

While the electrical grid is more networked, again to my knowledge, there has never been a brownout or even rolling brownouts anywhere near me that would affect my personal use of electricity. Millstone Nuclear Reactor is about 12 miles away, which I happily support the existence of. Perhaps my electrical supply is redundantly abundant.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just checked my house, and we have only 3 1/3 incan installations left. One is the bathroom, where CRI is important. One is a 150-watt desk lamp for when I need some grunt when I'm doing fiddly work (this one replaced a halogen desk lamp that was great, but I wore it out finally!). The third is a Reveal bulb in my nightstand lamp that never gets turned on anyway, and the 1/3 is a salted CFL fixture with two CFLs and one incan to even up the color temperature; most of the time this fixture is run with only one CFL lit, anyway.

Everything else is either CFL or halogen.

I converted about half the house to CFL, and am fed up with them. As they fail, I'm changing them to the "30%" halogen bulbs, which IMHO put out a far better light than CFL or even the original incandescents. Yes, they're that good. I'm totally sold on them. It's only a pity they are only available in wattages between 28 and 70; I would use lower and higher wattages than that if available.

Who made these, and where can I get some?

I have no issue here with people using incans/CFLs/LED lighting, but it seems that many of you have had issues with CFLs.. I'm not sure why - but the technology is mature and stable.

We were early adopters here, and the old CFLs simply sucked. Burned out fast and got recycled quickly, at least. :nana: The new ones are brighter per watt, last forever, and put out a fairly nice neutral-white with acceptable CRI.

Last edited: