• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Stonewashed Mcgizmos?

cubebike

Enlightened
My DIY tumbler setup and Atwood Keyton before stonewash. The tumbler power by single 18650.
rc026.jpg
rc025.jpg

After 3 hours of stone washing
20120802204656.jpg

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Looks that that will work. Don't know what the rotating speed is but commercial units run 20-30 rpm. As the speed increases above that the centrifugal forces increase & at some point there is no tumbling action because the parts & the media are held tightly to the tumbler walls.

cubebike

Enlightened
I am using single 18650 and the rpm is about 30 rpm. It's working nicely. Will post a pic later. I placed some fish tank stones and some steel and titanium bolts inside.

fyrstormer

Banned
If I ever try this myself, I'll just buy a commercial rock tumbler, but I admire your creativity. :) I usually reserve that sort of creativity for customizing parts on my bikes.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
And why would you "Sand down all beadblasted parts first ..." Stone wash over BB is often more attractive than stone wash over a smoothly machined surface.

I have played with some stone washing on my own for personal stuff and I have used both coral sand as well as parking lot granite gravel; wanted to be true to stone. :) I agree that especially with the large gravel that the results looked better with a bead blasted surface going into the process. However you do get an interesting effect when the large stones can't get into the tight radiused areas and leave them virtually untouched.

I would also note from personal experience that using any media for blasting or stone washing that has metal in it (this includes aluminum) will preclude the titanium from easily and uniformly being anodized should that also be in the plan. Bits of metal will become the path for the electrons and impede the growth of the Ti oxide.

CMAG

Enlightened
Do the vibrating gizmo's (pun intended :naughty:) like used on brass for reloading give the same results as a tumbler?
I recall my machine shop days there were two of these must of stood 3 to 4' tall like 3' dia or more

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a follow-up question to this thread I am wondering how to protect the more vulnerable parts of the light during the stonewash process.

- Threads - do you put the light in as a whole piece or parts? If as parts then how do you protect the threads from getting beat up.

- Lens/Reflector & Tailswitch - If you do the light as a whole how do you protect the front and tail ends of the light? Do you put tape over them or do you remove them first? If you remove them first how do you protect the holes from being entry points to the tumbling media from getting inside?

grnamin

Enlightened
I take the Haiku completely apart, taking care to lift the sapphire window out with a piece of tape. That way, I know that the tape is stuck to the side of the window that doesn't have the anti-reflective coating and goes back in the same way it came out. The only parts left for the sandblasting and stonewashing are the head and body, even o-rings have been removed.

I re-attach the head onto the body. None of the stones I use are small enough to enter the head or tail opening.