• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Bead blasting McGizmos

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Ma', look what I've done to my favorite knife

qqv3mq.jpg

zlzq5u.jpg

2dguqnd.jpg

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Bonjour Monsieur Tino,

Next time I am in Paris, we can meet and you can take my light and work on it.

You do wonderful work, I love the blue Haiku. And I can take the TGV! That is quite an experience to ride that train, and fun to go some place for lunch, and come back to Paris.

I would like my light to be finished like that, after which I would wear my Italian suit and my French Shoes, and I would wear the light on a lanyard around my neck in the open and wander down the Champs-Élysées like Mark Twain sauntering up to a bar for a mint julep.

After that, I will meander up and down Boulevard Haussmann, RUE Saint-Honore, La Madeleine for some pocket squares, and a new set of hand towels for our guest bathroom for our home in Palm Springs, California.

On the way home, I will stop in New York City, and we will stay at the Waldorf Astotia, as usual. And I will repeat my walk with my light hung low around my neck, again - only I will walk from 126th and Lenox up to 145th. Should be fun.

Until then,

Au revior

Ned Redway

Last edited:

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
RedLed,
I like your vision of Paris, you can certainly spend some quality time over here, assuming you are ready to drop some "quality" cash too :huh:

Yoyoman,
You AA Haiku is processed and in the mail on it's way back to you.
The hint of blue in the first picture is just a proof that titanium like to play tricks to eyes and cameras, it is plain BB titanium.

e272.jpg

ecod.jpg

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys,

I had a Sapphire that I wanted to renovate after a couple years on my keychain.
Disassembled the light and bead blasted it to a smooth finish :
dbok.jpg

gsrn.jpg

Then decided to go for a champagne color ano (about 14V) :

wu5g.jpg

n72f.jpg
n72f.jpg

As good as new !
Thanks Don for the first class maintainability nature of your lights.

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,
I'm using trisodium phosphate and voltage was somewhere between 13.5V and 14V.

Just start around 12V and work your way up until you like the color. With titanium ano you can always go up in voltage, colour will change, but you can't go down. Make sure you rinse and dry the parts before you decide to go any further because wet BB ti doesn't show the same colour as dry.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,
I discovered by accident a number of years ago that titanium reacts with hydrogen peroxide (Don't store hydrogen peroxide in a sealed titanium vessel! :green: ) So anyway a few months back for the heck of it, I put some of the titanium clips in a shallow bowl of hydrogen peroxide and left them in there for a day or two. They ended up getting an oxide film very much like you get with the lower voltage seen in the Sapphire pic above. You need to aggitate the bath occasionally and make sure no air bubbles are trapped on the surface but it does seem to be a viable way to get a bronze color without adding electricity to the mix.

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got some new babies to BB :
4rwzdu.jpg

Some scratches that should happily disappear :
2qvfjn4.jpg

2sajjv5.jpg

The lights are prepped, BB will be follow.