• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Bead blasting McGizmos

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
That looks good tino. What are your charges for doing the haiku?
$35 as described in the first post :
$25 per light, you'll need to add $10 for return shipping (uninsured). Price includes PP fees. I'll knock the price down $5 if the titanium parts are sent fully dissassembled and cleaned

Oh, that does look great! Would you ever consider doing a Mac's?
I'm not familiar with Mac's lights, I don't want to take any chance messing with other's lights. I can blast the parts though, if you send them dissassembled.

rnsams

Newly Enlightened
I'm always reticent to use beadblasting as a finish (on my knives) bc it seems to leave them open to more scratches. Stone washing seems to be the more durable finish IMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my Haiku back from Paris. As documented above, a careful process and the blasting is even and gives a nice finish. Really beautiful. Thank you, Tino
I'll try to add some pictures tonight.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some pictures of my bb Haiku
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It feels great in the hand. Not as slick as the machined finish.
It is amazing how it picks up the light. And it looks or appears a little slimmer.
Really happy with the work done.

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
BenChiew, to achieve a bead blasted finish one needs a blasting cabinet, compressed air @ approx. 80-100psi and enough CFM, a blasting gun and, obviously, blasting media.

The blasting gun shoots the blasting media at high velocity against the part, the small particles hit the surface and leave that special finish. The cabinet contains the media and harmfull dust.

I don't have pics just now, search "blasting cabinet" with google image and you'll get an idea of the setup.

If you're starting from scratch :
- 100 liters air compressor : approx. 400 euros
- big bore air hose : approx. 40 euros
- blasting gun : approx. 80 euros
- blasting cabinet : approx. 200 euros
total : 720 euros

That doesn't accound a filtration system which you will need for safety reason unless you blast outdoor in a well ventilated area. A real fitration system will set you back another several hundreds of euros and you better not overlook that part as your lungs depends on it.

yoyoman
, I'm glad the light arrived safe and sound and that you like it.

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
Indeed I did the ano too, I like that color. It holds better than I expected. As always with Ti (no matter what finish) you'll be better off welcoming patina then trying to keep the light pristine (which basically means leaving the light untouched in a drawer).

The blue light pictures is my EDC, it's beed carried for a while (granted not in the key pocket) but it doesn't show obvious wear.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like your work Tino. I think it adds a new dimension to the Haiku and other titanium tools. It surely gives it a new lease of life. Makes you feel you are getting a new light.

I just need to make up my mind and you will hear from me in the near future.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always felt the CR123 pak was grippy because of the raised ridges. The BB has a slightly more grippy texture than the plain machined finished. Not like aggressive G10 scales. But not slick, If you know what I mean.
I'm really happy with it.

Latest posts