Street robber/mugger blinding torch needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warp

Enlightened
Move?

Give up on having a tool that is suitable for self defense?

Hire a body guard?

Get training in hand to hand combat?

Get the laws changed?

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
let's stay on topic before this thread gets closed for straying into the self defense arena again :D

i still think a L2M with the MC-E might be a good in the face light.

collo

Newly Enlightened
I'm in Australia and the relevent laws here are much the same as the UK..
No guns, knives, sprays, batons or stun devices.

I recently started a thread about being bailed up by a guard dog, looking to get some answers but the discussion went off on a tangent about killing dogs etc and it was rightly closed down by the moderators.

Anyway, as a result of that, I began looking around and found No nonsense self defense - an extensive site that strongly stresses avoidance and awareness of the legal consequences should you decide to fight.

Their advice is to make a call as to whether you are going to just be mugged, or whether an assault is about to happen. I know that for a woman, the situation can change quickly, and is never that clear.

If it is just a mugging, give them the dummy purse you have in your bag (the real one is safely out of sight on your person). Make sure it has enough money to be the minimum they might expect you to carry.

If it's a fight, the best legal weapon for EDC is a light about the size of a 2AA maglite. When clenched in the fist, the light protrudes a little out each end, forming a legal Koppo stick. You will need to do some training in advance if this is going to be of any use.

That's about all you're allowed to do in Oz or the UK..

grunscga

Newly Enlightened
Wow. I'm surprised at the number of people being spectacularly unhelpful.

Some of them do have a point, though. If she carries a flashlight, it's primary use is probably not going to be as a weapon, so giving her some custom wonderlight with 3 minutes of runtime is really kind of pointless. Any "tactical" flashlight is going to give her enough light to invoke the "I'm actually the police, so leave me alone" defense, so you might as well pick one that could be useful for everyday tasks, as well.

In this case, I'd go with a single CR123A light. Yes, AAs are ubiquitous, but if you want a reasonable shelf-life and leak resistance, you have to use 1.7V lithium AAs, which are quite expensive (even online), so you might as well go for the more compact CR123A-based lights.

This is one of the few cases where I would actually recommend the Quark Tactical UI (both modes pre-set by you to max/med?), because almost anyone can understand and remember "head tight for bright, head loose for low", so she'll be able to use it normally without blinding herself, but can keep the head tight the rest of the time. Another plus in this case is that the programming mode is almost impossible to get into by accident, so she won't end up with a light stuck in programming mode when she needs it.

Another light that would fit the exact same usage pattern would be the EagleTac P10C (and, there is no programming required or even possible with this one).

My first thought was the NiteCore Extreme, but it's far too easy to accidentally get into programming mode for either setting. Any light where button-pushing changes levels is out, because Murphy guarantees that it will end up in low during any stressful situation. :ironic:

Also, regarding the "wasp spray" that people keep suggesting: I seem to remember reading a few years back that someone in London was successfully prosecuted for carrying oven spray "as a weapon", so I don't think your wasp spray will escape notice... (OMG chemical weapons!!!!)

Dougzilla

Newly Enlightened
ok guys and gals, powerful flashlights can be used as a defensive/escape weapon, but there is a right way to accomplish this goal.

Please have a look at the VIDEO on this page, before you end up in jail....

http://www.brite-strike.com/Lightning_Strike.html

This shows you the proper way to use a flashlight for self defense....

ignore the flashlights they sell because they're over priced, but please look at the video.

-Doug

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has no-one here ever been to a proper party?
Having spent hundreds of hours at parties with bright lights and banging beats, I can't see how a strobing hand torch is much of a deterrent. Little surefire hardly counts as bright compared to some 1000x watt set-ups I've rigged. People dance in front of them no problem.
Unless she's a great singer or gonna beatbox and convince would-be attacker to dance with her instead, then by all means bring out the little flashy lights!

Last edited:

dougie

Enlightened
As someone has allready alluded to, UK law forbids anyone carrying anything which is, or could be. used offensively. Therefore, if you hurt or permanently injure a would be assailant ,with for instance sand, you would have a hard job trying to convince the police or a court that you hadn't deliberately carried it with that intention. Regrettably self defence in the UK will not allow you have anything on you which would or could be used as a weapon and that as a broad definition could be used to describe almost anything in a woman's handabg! Even flashlights which use a strobe could fall foul of our laws if they are marketed or described as having an offensive capability. For instance the Gladius's strobe has long been a source of debate on British Blades by some of their legally qualified members. The consensus was that if someone claimed it was used on them and caused an adverse effect such as a fit, migraine or temporary blindness then the user would be potentially liable to prosecution. My own view is that the disorientation caused by a strobe or bright light is so fleeting that it is more likely to inflame a would be assailant rather than preventing an attack . In conclusion therfore I personally feel that without a backup of something more potent a flashlight is not effective for self defense purposes.:mecry:

keith p

Newly Enlightened
I can't go through life worrying about being mugged, robbed etc. The only thing I carry on my person that is really worth robbing me for, is my torch...

I live in Metro NY and have dwelled around NYC my whole life. I've never needed my flash light for more than getting me out of the dark.

Add a whistle to your keychain and get on with your life..

As a felon (which I rarely admit), I don't have the right to own a fire arm. The only situations that I could think of where I would need a gun is if aliens, zombies, or Nazis attack NY. SO far I haven't had the need.

There is no replacement for proper self defense training. Bettering yourself is always a good thing.

Be well... & be safe.

DM51

Flashaholic
The OP has been a member here for a while, but with a low post count he is probably not a frequent visitor and has obviously posted this question for perfectly reasonable motives.

As other members have pointed out, he is based in the UK, where carrying any type of offensive weapon (gun, gas spray, club, knife, tazer etc) is strictly prohibited.

The problem with threads like this is twofold: first, they rapidly head off-topic and into discussion of violence (guns, knives, how best to cause gruesome injuries etc); and second, because there is a tendency to foster the ill-advised notion that by carrying a "blinding" flashlight, a person will be able to defend him/herself from an attacker.

Fumbling in a bag for a flashlight and then (in highly stressful circumstances) trying to remember how to operate it, is to say the least most unlikely to be the best course of action. Far better would be to run and/or scream as loud as possible. As a last-ditch resort, a flashlight might give you a second or two of delay or serve as a blunt (or sharp) object in an unavoidable fight, but that is about it.

As mentioned, there has been the usual straying away into off-topic discussion, but there have been some very sensible posts here also. Let's see if we can bring this thread around by putting an end to the off-topic element of this, and by suggesting other more sensible courses of action for the OP's wife, such as ensuring she does not walk home from the rail station at night by herself, or perhaps that she enrols in a course of self-defense lessons. Most of the good courses will stress the importance of not putting oneself in harm's way in the first place.

ducat

Newly Enlightened
There IS a legal self defence spray available for civilian use in the UK.
Its made by MACE in the USA and is called StoppaRed.

Its a ballistic marker dye that when fired gives someone an almighty smack in the face and then instantly foams up, getting in the eyes, nose and mouth.
As its a permanant dye it takes ages to wash off, and leaves assailants very red-faced and easy to find. It also has a UV component that is detectable for weeks afterwards forensically.

As it is not noxious it is not classed as a section 5 firearm.

It may not have quite the same kick as pepper spray but it hurts like hell and gives you a chance to give it legs and get away.

A lot of security guards in the UK carry it, me included, and it comes highly reccomended. Give their website a look, just google StoppaRed.

Hope this helps.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Gotta love this from the Brite-Strike website:
• Unique patented "Tactical Touch®" end cap switch allows the user to switch from high to low to strobe settings, all with a light touch of your finger.
Unique huh ? - Come on guys - that wouldn't by any chance just be a reverse clicky with a fancy name would it ?

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
I feel compelled to point out that any mugger worth his salt will just brain you with a wrench from behind before asking you for your wallet.

That being said, if you carry the light in-hand while you're walking, you'll at least have a sporting chance of being able to deter a mugging before it happens, by shining it in dark alleys and recessed doorways and the like. That's what I do. You don't need a strobe mode for that, though, and since the strobe is really only useful after an engagement starts, my money is still going to be on the wrench winning the fight. So if a flashlight comes with a strobe mode, fine, but I wouldn't pay extra for it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.