Sunwayman D40A - Another 4AA compact thrower

jhn.holgate

Newly Enlightened
Re: New Sunwayman D40A - Another 4AA compact thrower

One thing I quite liked - if you turn it off during moon-mode, it remembers it for the next time you start it up. So you don't have to do the press and hold of the power button every time. I know it's a small thing, but very handy for checking the clock at 3am and not blinding yourself. Except for the lanyard placement, a well thought out and designed light. Feels impressive and good tactile feel to the buttons too.

Did I read something about a red low battery warning between the switches somewhere? No mention of it that I could see in the manual....

kj2

Flashaholic

Did I read something about a red low battery warning between the switches somewhere? No mention of it that I could see in the manual....

kafrdh.jpg

Have they forgotten it, that this light has that feature? :p

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would love this with a neutral/warmish, slightly warm tint emitter. Anyone know if that may be forthcoming?

Just guesses at the moment but there will be at least 3 of them.

kj2

Flashaholic

Just tested and found-out that the Fenix AOD-M fits the D40A :)
The Olight traffic wand (for M21) does not fit :( -That wand does fit my Fenix TK21 which also have a 40mm bezel.

holylight

Enlightened
New Sunwayman D40A - Another 4AA compact thrower

Second thing what I noticed was; the threads are dry! no lubricant at all. Does everybody has that?
For what I can see during daylight, I'm liking the modes :) and that moon-mode (1lumens) is low enough that you can look into it. (at least I can ;) )
Sunwayman is known, for what I know, for their flawless HA-III coating. Well, I did found I flaw at the top of the threads but that's possibly because the wasn't any lubricant.
The D40A lays very nice and solid in my hand. It has some weight to it, but you can hold it for a longer time-period. The led is perfectly centered on my light.
I have the feeling, I'll take this light on lots of trips with me :)

edit; here some photos. Quality of the photos aren't that great, but should give you an idea.

fa7jfc.jpg

(Aren't they pretty ;) )
ejt1rq.jpg

(The Eagletac is just slightly shorter)
30ig6z4.jpg

(lights where all lined-up at the back)

How they compare can share :D

elbowtko

Newly Enlightened

Has anyone tried doing something like this?

flashlight020.jpg

Do you think the lanyard would make the handle too large?

Showmethelight

Newly Enlightened

I don't do fancy wraps or weaves but I'm game to toss a simple koppo paracord wrap around mine and see how it looks, the battery chamber is slightly smaller diameter than the head of the light, this would swap that and it also would hide the d40 and sunwayman logos which never lineup with the switch (a non issue beyond slight OCD annoyance).

elbowtko

Newly Enlightened

I guess it depends on what kind of weave you would use, or how much of the bottom part you actually wrap. A wrap that is minimal but still solid enough, is most ideal.

Seriously sunwayman, why does it have to come to this? You were the choosen one...

kj2

Flashaholic

I just took my D40A for a walk with the dog. And.... I love it :D
Very bright pure white lights, nice spill which comes in handy while walking. I also like that the modes run from high to low. Operation of the light is really simple and you can do everything with one hand. Weight of the light was no issue during the one hour walk. I couldn't really test the throw because it was raining (quite hard :( )

Showmethelight

Newly Enlightened

Here is a real picture of the koppo wrap from a real camera, I was hesitant about it but now very glad someone brought it up, going to leave it on, and hey bonus of having around 6' or more of useable rope handy in a pinch.

h7V5VqJ.jpg

jhn.holgate

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the photo of the red led low battery warning light....which I can't see mentioned anywhere in the manual ?! Raining here too last night but was impressed with the beam - not particularly throwy, but an excellent mix of throw and flood and I would agree that I can see stuff out to around 300m. Put in some Alkalines first up and after no more than 10 minutes of general use, the Alkalines could not support turbo mode. Step down was at 3 1/2 minutes and it did get pretty warm. Better stick with the eneloops methinks.

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast

F
FAKE!

Here is a real picture of the koppo wrap from a real camera, I was hesitant about it but now very glad someone brought it up, going to leave it on, and hey bonus of having around 6' or more of useable rope handy in a pinch.

h7V5VqJ.jpg

jhn.holgate

Newly Enlightened

I've used a slightly smaller landyard than supplied - it drops down between my two middle fingers and I then I can wrap it back up over my little finger and tuck the loop over my index finger. Seems pretty secure as I can't drop the light and it's easy to do. Maybe it's not such a bad placement...just requires a little re-thinking. Like the koppo wrap too.

Showmethelight

Newly Enlightened

I've used a slightly smaller landyard than supplied - it drops down between my two middle fingers and I then I can wrap it back up over my little finger and tuck the loop over my index finger. Seems pretty secure as I can't drop the light and it's easy to do. Maybe it's not such a bad placement...just requires a little re-thinking. Like the koppo wrap too.

When you said you went with a shorter lanyard on the light it made me do a double take as given the placement it seems double length is needed. so I tossed the original back on, I can now see what you mean of dropping it between your fingers, then rewrapping over another finger and finally coming to secure grip. But, that's still a horrid lanyard, let go once let that all unwind, and you have a complicated procedure of effort needed to get what should be a simple grasp and access to the light, not to mention the given lanyard will be running under your grip or torquing away from it if run over the top of your hand. Love the light, lanyard still worst I've seen.

jhn.holgate

Newly Enlightened

hmmm...maybe a pics worth a look. Doesn't feel any harder to use than the wrist loop and seem to trap itself when you try and drop the light. Maybe the trick is that I'm not using a lanyard with a clip attached...

d40a2.jpg

d40a1.jpg