Sunwayman T60CS Review (3 x XM-L U2 | 3 x 18650 / 6 x 16340)

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, so I finally got around to disassembling the carrier and here's a pic of that fuse (resistor?) for those curious:
I suppose if one were able to source that part and has very steady hands and a magnifier, it can be replaced.

Forget the R1 (which was abbr. for resistor 1)
Short the two metal surface of the Y-thing and the fuse is disabled:eek:

veedo

Newly Enlightened
just picked up this light, and it sure is crazy bright. construction is very solid, but i have a few knit picky things about it. the caution lettering on the head is printed crooked, along with the certified on the bottom of the tube. the smart switch is also not centered so the "smart switch" logo is tilted a bit sideways. anyone else notice this? other than that, the light seems pretty awesome, and much smaller than i imagined.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have one (yet) but I haven't noticed that type of 'blemish' on any of the pictures. Is it very noticeable or just a bit?

Can you post some close-up pics....and maybe possibly some outdoor shots too? :)

veedo

Newly Enlightened
well, the light stopped working so its going to be rma'd. now i have to wait another week or more! ill try and snap some pics before i box it all back up. i think its the fuse in the battery carrier, but im not messing around with a light this expensive and a day old. besides, maybe the next one will come with straight letters. im not much of a photographer, but believe me, this thing puts out a wall of light that lights up the whole yard. it makes my sc600 look like a candle. if anything comes close in front of the beam its blinding. this is my first multi emitter light.

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shucks veedo, sorry to hear about that. Hopefully your dealer/Sunwayman will take care of you. Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

@carl - just haven't found a great location for outdoor shots and living in the 'burbs, it's really hard to be flashing lights around without come paranoid person calling the cops. I hope to have some outdoor shots of the more recent lights I've reviewed soon but worst case is I'll definitely have them after my upcoming camping trip in a few weeks.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
turboBB - no worries if you can't get some outdoor shots - you've done enough already with lots of great info from your review! Don't want to spook the neighbors anyway!

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re #66
This one is a pocket Behemoth for sure
Comparable with low-end HIDs
Better not to make the neighborhood scream about ALIEN ATTACK!!!
Sosad.gif

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
perhaps a minor quibble which is really not the fault of the T60: My first full discharge cycle with relatively new 3x 2900mah AW 18650 cells resulted in one cell tripping it's protection circuit, yet the low-battery light on the T60 did not blink even once. After the trip, the other 2 18650 cells were measured around 3.5 volts. My sole "warning" was that near the end of the runtime, the T60 really had only 3 output levels. The highest level certainly was not 2100 lumens. Those cells had less than a dozen cycles on them.

The matter of a protected cell tripping the light off while in use is absolutly the most irritating aspect to Lithium-Ion cells. They are needed for protection against reverse voltages, but suddenly being in the dark is not nice!

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's interesting you mentioned this as I have never noticed the low voltage warning kick-in on three different runs (that I was monitoring) on Turbo (and no cells had tripped in these runs). I stopped testing but will try another run with an intravalometer next time to see if it comes on.

Chowderhead72

Newly Enlightened
Did you ever figure out what voltage the red (low voltage) light comes on? Once the light comes on does the light shut off. Trying to establish charging parameters.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
moldyoldy: Were you able to reset the protection circuit?

Yes, the 4Sevens charger reset the protection circuit w/o a problem. The cell voltage before resetting was 0.0volts where it stayed until reset, which is typical of AW protection circuits.

I have had a couple Li-Ion chargers that would not attempt to charge a cell below a certain voltage and therefore could not be used to reset a tripped protection circuit. I disposed of those very quickly. No problems with several copies of the 4Sevens charger.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why did I purchase the T60CS? I felt that my TK35 and V60 had satisfied my needs in the 800-900 lumen range. I had no experience with the high-end lights in the $200+ range and 2000+ lumens. The TM11, TN30, the T60CS, and the yet-to-be-released Zebralight 6330 was on my short list. The T60CS was sufficiently smaller to outweigh the higher lumens from the TN30. The TM11 beam was a bit too broad as far as I could determine from CPF beamshots. The 6330 was the closest to my wants with individual monitoring of the 18650 cells, but a release date was nebulous. I am satisfied with my T60CS, at least so far.

Chowderhead72

Newly Enlightened
Great review! Had to buy one. This light is awesome as well as the perfect size.

Now if SWM would make a t60csT with a deeper reflector so i could have a thrower as well.

The v60 charger is a lot nicer than the pictures would suggest, all aluminum top and comes with both power supplies 120v AND 12v, nice touch. I am so impressed with this light I had to buy the t20cs to justify my pila and pile of aw 3100's.

Question: did you ever investigate as to what point the red light comes on?

Last edited:

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thx! Unfortunately not yet but I'll definitely post results when I get around to it.

As for the charger, the one in my pics was a very early sample and doesn't have the aluminum top like on the newer one. Glad to hear you're enjoying the light.

Cheers,
Tim

hoo7h1

Newly Enlightened
Great review thanks.
btw how many modes are out there ?
And what is the current in each mode ?

And btw can I remove the smart switch and just make it ON/OFF switch ?

Last edited:

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review thanks.
btw how many modes are out there ?
And what is the current in each mode ?

And btw can I remove the smart switch and just make it ON/OFF switch ?

1. 4 mode, but i would say its 3-distinctive mode(H-M-L) since turbo and high are too similar in output
2. You can't, it was programmed that a fast click is on/off and hold is mode-hopping, which means you cant use it like T20CS or T40CS where theres an extra tail switch for mecha-on/off

hoo7h1

Newly Enlightened
1. 4 mode, but i would say its 3-distinctive mode(H-M-L) since turbo and high are too similar in output
2. You can't, it was programmed that a fast click is on/off and hold is mode-hopping, which means you cant use it like T20CS or T40CS where theres an extra tail switch for mecha-on/off

What if I changed the circuit ?

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
The current I measured for each mode using RL3100's are (in mA):

Turbo: 2040
High: 1690
Med: 314
Low: 63

If you change the circuit then it'll function however the circuit was designed to operate so not really sure what you're asking. Can you clarify?

Thx,
Tim

lightliker

Newly Enlightened
Very nice review turboBB!!
After a long period of finding out what the best compagnion for my Olight SR90 was, this light touches the sweet spot of compactness, output, reasonable low light Level, running on 18650's, using XM-L leds a side switch and affordable price.
Two wishes left: a better cell-voltage monitoring (happily I use a hobbycharger for balanced charging so 18650's going POOF will not occur soon) and neutral white instead of cool white but hey, the perfect light aint out there :eek:, the one light that comes really close is the Lupine Betty but this light doesn't run on exchangable 18650's or cr123's in emergency cases.
have you already tested at what voltage the low light LED starts to warn you for drained batteries?
Before purchasing this light, I would be glad to know.