Surefire Aviator 2017 thread

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

Veeeeeeery nice!
I did not expect the clean beam pattern. SF TIR does evolve.

I wonder if they did the Vampire route by using a single LED with two dies, or two separate LEDs that move into focus.

To Search and Rescue: does the product box and literature still say 20 hours on low for the white output?

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast

Robert have you gotten yours? (or planning to get?) Is it available already in our place?

Hi Robert, yes it is two separate dies that move into focus. This is my first SureFire(R) flashlight purchase since the original M6LT back in early 2012. My goodness, it has been a long 5 years! It is good to know that Aviator® ​has been upgraded with the 2 LED for better beam focus.

According to the specifications from the User Manual, the White low output runtime is 20.5 hour

upload images free

Veeeeeeery nice!
I did not expect the clean beam pattern. SF TIR does evolve.

I wonder if they did the Vampire route by using a single LED with two dies, or two separate LEDs that move into focus.

To Search and Rescue: does the product box and literature still say 20 hours on low for the white output?

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very nice!! Now Does this light come on high first then low or low then high?

I have been seeing mixed UI on this light so just want to get this clarified. Thanks.

thenikjones

Newly Enlightened

Does it take the old E series filters? If so I may buy an Amber and use the red filter around the house. Otherwise the red seems more useful to me.

Anyone having an amber one, is Low too bright at night?

Amber Low is borderline too bright. I would go with Red LED for soothing light.

Does it take the old E series filters? If so I may buy an Amber and use the red filter around the house. Otherwise the red seems more useful to me.

Anyone having an amber one, is Low too bright at night?

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic

Does it take the old E series filters? If so I may buy an Amber and use the red filter around the house....

The vintage E-series SF red filter (F05) was for 1.00" bezels, and the newer version (F05-A) is for 1.125" bezels.

According to the spec sheet posted above, if this version has a 1.06" bezel, I would suppose neither bezel would fit well without modification :ironic:

EDIT - also, depending on the spectrum of that particular amber emitter, a red filter may possibly drastically reduce total output (which you might, or might not, prefer)

Last edited:

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast

12 hours of runtime on high with the yellow LED vs 2.75 with the amber? im confused.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast

search_and_rescue, first, thanks for all that you've posted so far! This is one of the first SureFires I've really been interested in quite some time.

A few questions for you:
- How's the tint on the white light? Photos can be tough to judge that. Hopefully not too green or too cool.
- I've never used or handled one of these or the Vampire version. I'm curious about the twisting head mechanism: does it seem like something that would wear out with regular use? How about trapping lint and/or dirt in there? I image that it must be sealed from the rest of the light? Does it look like you could simply rinse dirt or lint out?
- How's the centering of the LED on your copy?

Thanks again for your contributions to this thread. I'm pretty sure that I'll buy either a red or yellow-green. Not sure I can continue to wait for my preferred dealer to get stock though. :)

Hi Robert,

Happy to be a part of CandlePowerForums. :grouphug:

tint of white LED is white without any green, purple, or blue. My guess is that it is 6000 Kelvin.

this head is very sturdy. In fact, the head is so sturdy, I had to carefully apply some 100% pure silicone spray into the crevice while the ring was pulled out and in between modes. Because this pull-and-twist head is so strong and tight, I doubt lint and dirt could get into there.

the centering of both LED is good, but the amber beam on a white ceiling is not perfectly smooth and artifact-free. The white beam is very smooth, artifact-free.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast

...this head is very sturdy. In fact, the head is so sturdy, I had to carefully apply some 100% pure silicone spray into the crevice while the ring was pulled out and in between modes....

How convenient is that head pull-twist interface, in practice?

Does really no one else miss the z62-style dual stage twisty for instant access to both spectrums? Let's say I have successfully modded an Elite head with three clean holes in the reflector, and stuffed in a custom but simple mini LED ring, just like in an incan A2 with a smaller outside diameter, and crammed the 10ohm resister guts of a z62 into a z61. No one interested? Or is it merely like spilt milk for everyone, and I am spinning wheels because there's no point in whining about it?

How convenient is that head pull-twist interface, in practice?

Does really no one else miss the z62-style dual stage twisty for instant access to both spectrums? Let's say I have successfully modded an Elite head with three clean holes in the reflector, and stuffed in a custom but simple mini LED ring, just like in an incan A2 with a smaller outside diameter, and crammed the 10ohm resister guts of a z62 into a z61....

Hi my friend chillinn, the pull-twist interface was difficult counter-clockwise, so I thought to apply some treadmill pure silicone spray. Now it can be pulled and turned from Amber to Off to White without unscrewing the head. Also very impressed with tolerance, the head can be tightly screwed to further keep it secure while changing spectrums. Make sure to lubricate a little to supplement the factory application of lube.

SureFire A2 user interface was good because one is able to switch spectrums one-handed. Your modification of an Executive Elite®, described above, sounds very good and true to the original.

Kind Regards

Last edited: