Surefire, best throw?

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll second (or third, or forth; whatever we're up to in this thread :D) that the E2DL is probably what you want to go with.

Robert

coloradogps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go with the E2DL...

Great thrower, fits your hand great, useful low of 5 lumens and lifetime Surefire warranty!

Get with it a box of 12 Surefire batteries and your ready to go...

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sig Sauer said:
The E2DL has the same max output as my Novatac 120. Is there much difference in the throw between them?
BIG difference.

Sig Sauer said:
I already got a Surefire G2L at home. What if I replaced it with a M60? Would that have a better throw than the Novatac 120?
Significantly better, yes.

I wouldn't recommend gifting a G2L with a higher-powered drop-in. The Malkoff has better heat sinking than most (the rest?), but it's till going to be limited by the body. Give the drop-in the best chance for a longer life and stick to an aluminum body.

Sig Sauer said:
Would you say that the E2DL has better throw than a G2L with a M60 installed?
Debatable, but I'd probably give the nod to the E2DL. The big advantage of the E2DL is the large spot it throws (the spot from my E2DL is twice the diameter of the spot from my M60).

matt0

Enlightened
Go to the Dereelight modules page, pick up a 1SM-2 and leave the E2DL in the dust in terms of overall output and throw. Seriously.

1SM-2 + SMO reflector

You can get both the OP and SMO reflectors for a few dollars more if you want to experiment. That's what I did but honestly, if/when I buy another one, I wouldn't spend the extra money for the OP reflector.

SMO: smooth, more beam artifacts but usually better at throwing the light
OP: orange peel, generally have a nicer beam but can't throw the light as well as SMO reflector

Sig Sauer

Newly Enlightened
Go to the Dereelight modules page, pick up a 1SM-2 and leave the E2DL in the dust in terms of overall output and throw. Seriously.

I saw that they have 3 stage drop in also, 3SM(3-stage Muti-power digital) Cree XR-E module.

Those it have the same throw as the 1SM-2?

What are the lumen ratings and runtime on these mods?

pipspeak

Enlightened
I assume it's the same output on high, but Dereelight doesn't tend to give ratings for its modeules so I don't know for sure.

With the three-mode, however, you might want to also get a clickie tailcap. Switching modes with only a momentary/twist-on tailcap is not gonna work too well.

Sig Sauer

Newly Enlightened
I assume it's the same output on high, but Dereelight doesn't tend to give ratings for its modeules so I don't know for sure.

With the three-mode, however, you might want to also get a clickie tailcap. Switching modes with only a momentary/twist-on tailcap is not gonna work too well.

I have actually ordered a clickie tailcap for my G2L, so it's on it's way.

USM0083

Enlightened
1SM-2 + SMO reflector

You can get both the OP and SMO reflectors for a few dollars more if you want to experiment. That's what I did but honestly, if/when I buy another one, I wouldn't spend the extra money for the OP reflector.

SMO: smooth, more beam artifacts but usually better at throwing the light
OP: orange peel, generally have a nicer beam but can't throw the light as well as SMO reflector

I have a 1SM-1 with both a smooth and OP reflector. With the SMO it puts out 7000 lux and with the OP 6100 lux. Compare this to 5400 lux out of my TK10. This is with a DX light meter at 1 meter distance. The TK10 has a nice beam and probably a bit more output, but the 1SM-1 with OP easily out throws it.

Just as a comparison:
Fenix L2d CE (P4) - 1800 lux on turbo
Romisen RC-F4 - 3200 lux
G2L- 1600 lux
DX R2 Cree in a 6P - 5600 lux

carrot

Flashaholic
Whomever's advice you consider, remember that runtime is ALWAYS a concern. Is the absolute best throw the best choice if the light only runs for 5 minutes? 10? an hour?

Sig Sauer

Newly Enlightened
Anybody have the runtimes for dereelight and malkoff or other good throwing mods?

matt0

Enlightened
My Dereelight 1SM-2 gets about 1.5hrs on primary CR123's and about 45min on cheap, Ultralast 3V RCR123's.

Francois1

Newly Enlightened
The best throwing 2 cells flashlight surefire ever made must be the 6pt, with a 3" turbohead. I have one, and it's very narrow beam is quite spectacular, but not very useful. Anyway, production of this model has ceased a long time ago.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The best throwing 2 cells flashlight surefire ever made must be the 6pt, with a 3" turbohead. I have one, and it's very narrow beam is quite spectacular, but not very useful. Anyway, production of this model has ceased a long time ago.
Agreed - the T1 is rather bulky for it's output. It's amazing how far things have come since then when you compare the likes of the E2DL to the 6PT.

watchcollector1968

Newly Enlightened
The E2DL is an excellent light, and the TIR throw is amazing. Check around local Police Supply stores and the like for prices. Our local police supply shop here sells tons of Surefires all day long and their prices are far better than most online-stores. They sell the E2DL for 114.

Sig Sauer

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone seen any beamshots with the E2DL and a dereeligth or Malkoff drop in side by side?