Surefire, best throw?

zven

Enlightened
In my quick read of this thread I didn't see anyone mention it, so I'll go ahead and do so. If your plan is to put a drop-in in your G2L, heat from the LED is a concern. Gene Malkoff cautions that the M60 shouldn't be used for more than about 15 continuous minutes at a time in a plastic-body flashlight. Although I haven't heard the same from Dereelight and other drop-in makers, those other drop-ins use the same emitter at roughly the same output, so it stands to reason that they're best off in a metal-body flashlight as well.

For compactness and multiple levels (so long as a clicky UI isn't a problem) I'd vote for the E2DL. For sheer throw, I'd go for the Dereelight drop-in with smooth reflector.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for the E2DL. It is VERY bright and has the best throw of any LED or incan light I've seen or owned in a long time (and I own A LOT of lights). The TIR optic in the head is amazing for throw but with a reasonable amount of spill.

IcantC

Enlightened
+1 for Dereelight drop in. I have one in my Z2 with a SMO and damn does it throw!

fordwillman

Newly Enlightened
+1 for the E2DL runtime on high is approx 2 hours or double what you said was needed, or a low of 5 lumens for 76 hours (but I cant confirm this by experience--anyone have the low runtime REALLY for the E2DL?)

bullterrier

Enlightened
i am thinking to buy E2L ore E2DL. witch one should i buy. i will edc it and use it when i walk my dog in the night. i will use the lights on low most of the time, only high when i wonder where my dog disaperd.
she(10.5 yer old bullterrier *****) wonder some time away in the night. but she is almost every time 5-10 meter from me or she are just behind me so when i start looking fore here i tripp over here:twothumbs

riceboy72

Newly Enlightened
I got an E2DL two days ago for a birthday gift, and what an amazing little light. The throw is amazing, and seems to outdo my M60L in an M2 body.

I've read this is the ideal light where no mods need to be done, and it's the best of all worlds. I will have to agree; it is darn near perfect for my needs (which also includes walking the dog when I get off at 11 pm) and for as small it is, it provides an amazing punch of light and very respectable throw. Combined with a long runtime, a low setting when high isn't needed, and a user friendly profile all make this my recommendation.

I'm simply amazed by this little bugger.

EV_007

Enlightened
How bout my M3T with A19? It runs on two 17670s, two cells right? :nana:

It throws very well and guilt free too. My version seems to slightly outhrow my M6 but without the broad coverage of the M6 of course. This may be due to my M3T's reflector not as aggressively textured as the M6?

Agreed, the E2DL does the job in a compact package.

Size15's

Flashaholic
This may be due to my M3T's reflector not as aggressively textured as the M6?
This is normal variation - I have a few Millennium TurboHeads (perhaps a dozen I guess) and I've noticed that certain lamp and TurboHead combinations will produce either unusually broad, or unusually tight beams compared to the 'average'

khawai

Newly Enlightened

Does it matter what flashlight I use, like the 6P, G2 or E2DL when using a drop in? Or is the throw distance only affected by the drop in?

Sorry for bringing up this thread. but im curious of this aswell.
Lets say the 6p,G2 and the E2DL have the same drop in - malkoff m60. would the outcome be the same?

Thanks.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for bringing up this thread. but im curious of this aswell.
Lets say the 6p,G2 and the E2DL have the same drop in - malkoff m60. would the outcome be the same?

Thanks.

The E2DL doesn't take a drop-in - the LED and optic are non-removable/changeable. Unless of course you're into disassembling the head and modding it yourself, but either way it can't use P60 type lamp assemblies.

Regards,
Tempest

khawai

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot!

However, im still wondering whether the level of out of the 6p and the g2 with the malkoff drop in produce the same level of light.:huh:
Sorry for the touble.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 1SM-1 with both a smooth and OP reflector. With the SMO it puts out 7000 lux and with the OP 6100 lux.

There should be more difference than that. With my Dereelights switching to a SMO reflector, instead of the OP, usually results in 3,000-4,000 more LUX at 1 meter.

The Dereelight pills are focusable when you screw them into the reflector. Sometimes you get the best throw with them screwed in all the way, but sometimes you have to back them out a bit to get max throw. I use an o-ring between the pill and my reflector so it doesn't screw in all the way and results in a tighter focus and a tad over 10,000LUX at 1 meter. With an OP installed I get LUX readings in the 6,000-6,800LUX depending on the pill

I'm not sure what kind of LUX #'s the E2DL is producing and LUX readings vary from meter to meter. So while I may get 10,000LUX on my meter my light may read 9,000 on another, 11,000 on another, etc.