SureFire Dominator is coming

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back to the Dominator, I do think there are room for improvements. There are two things I miss as far as I can see, a carrying strap like on the O-light SR series and which SF also had on their Beast HID. The second thing I miss is rubber anti roll protectors like The Beast had, so I can put it down on rocks.

Regarding the weight of this light, by todays standard with small lightweight super bright lights, it is a very heavy light, but compared to Maglites I hauled around a decade ago, it is not that bad. It is the same weight as a 4D maglite, and not much more than a 3D maglite (which I had), so it will be manageable.

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
On a different note than all the price and diminishing returns bit, my first impressions:
- The interface is different but it's always hard to tell just what it's like till someone reviews. I'm very into UIs so that's interesting to me.

This Youtube video from SS2012 gives us some info about the UI. We will soon know if the interface has stayed the same till its release (I expect there soon will be a new video from SS2013).

marcl

Newly Enlightened
Then you are lucky, here is a list of some of the lights I have had failures with over the years: Maglite, Fenix, Huntlight, Regalight, Streamlight, Tigerlight (battery pack), McGizmo (partially, lost low mode), a very expensive custom light, some crappy cheap lights and one SureFire that got delivered with a flaky switch (a Z57 clicky, they sent me a new one, no questions asked).

It does sound like you have been as unlucky as I have been lucky. But it is good to know Surefire is in the list of failures. It just shows that they are all just torches at the end of the day and whilst I have no doubt surefires are good quality, they can still fail. In your instance yours probably failed quality control like many cheap lights do. Which is a shame.

On another point looking at the weight and size in the photo, It's a biggun for sure!

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are two things I miss as far as I can see, a carrying strap like on the O-light SR series and which SF also had on their Beast HID.
That is what I would call a needed improvement. When I first saw the Dominator I knew I might want one. There are times where I was tempted to get an Olight SR series instead just because they bothered to include a carrying strap.

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's interesting that you mention Maxabeam, because Maxabeam's are the type of light that I see the Dominator competing against. Now I doubt that even the Dominator could compete with the Maxabeam's 12,000,000 candela beam, but the Dominator is lighter and cheaper than the Maxabeam, and I would hope that the eficiencies of LED would mean that the Dominator's runtime on low might be longer.

I don't see it competing against the MaxaBeam, the MaxaBeam is in a category on its own. The MB is not very versatile, only good for extreme throw. The only time I would prefer the MB is when searching from a boat.
For me the Dominator is competing against the O-light SR lights and against 35W HIDs. IMO it beats the O-lights, and I expect it to have about the same beam profile as the SR 90 since those are specified quite the same in lux and lumens. Compared to HIDs it does have less throw and output (and the 4300K HID beam offers better rendering), but it offers much more versatility with long runtime, different light levels and instant and easy accessible max mode, so I would prefer it over a HID. I think it also competes against the SureFire UB3T. Even though the UB3T has half the throw, I found it usable to about 130 meters, that is often plenty enough. Considering the weight is about 1/3 of the Dominator, the UB3T is a tempting choice when you have a heavy pack.

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
It does sound like you have been as unlucky as I have been lucky. But it is good to know Surefire is in the list of failures. It just shows that they are all just torches at the end of the day and whilst I have no doubt surefires are good quality, they can still fail. In your instance yours probably failed quality control like many cheap lights do. Which is a shame.

Yes, any light can fail (or batteries run out), even SureFire. That is why I always carry a backup, in my case another SureFire, and not to forget the headlamp that is always on my head.
However, of the many lights I have and have had, SureFire has for me proven to be the most reliable (I have many SureFires, I have lost count, but it is more than 15).

N/Apower

Enlightened
Absurd in every way, but I am sure it will be very well executed and if I needed this kind of output, I would drop the coin. You won't equal it in a serious light otherwise, although for a hobbyist, I don't think you need all of SF's engineering, but that's not to say you might not want it.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
- I get why Surefire would do a proprietary battery pack. With what the light needs for power and US liability laws it makes sense to control what gets fed into it. I don't have to like it though. We'll see how they price spare packs. Proprietary anything makes me think high margin to keep up the revenue stream.
Ah, now it's starting to make sense. The word "proprietary" always seems to equal at least one extra zero on a price tag.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, any light can fail (or batteries run out), even SureFire.
I suppose it depends on how you use your lights. A professional who treats it like a tool is likely to see more failures than someone who keeps one in his briefcase for emergencies.

n2deep

Newly Enlightened
I own Surefires. Lots of Surefires, by some people's standards.
But I have to agree. This light is just not 10 or 20 bucks more than something similar. It is HUNDREDS of dollars more. If there truly are features and functions that justify the price, I am all ears.

MADE IN AMERICA!

marcl

Newly Enlightened
I am cabinet maker by trade and take a lot of pride in the tools that I buy, I am a great believer that good tools help to make a great craftsman. The last tool I bought was a Festool TS55 saw. It is quite simply magnificent in every way. But it is very expensive. The motor is hand wound in laboratory conditions and only eleven people have access. All components are made in Germany and so is the saw. The base of the saw is magnesium alloy and to top it all off it has special electronics to keep the blade moving at the same speed regardless of load.

Now if Surefire made there own LEDs because they where so much better than CREE, made there own drivers for the same reason and the torch was made from exotic material, then I would look at it seriously. But it's not, it really is just an expensive torch. To make it worse it is nearly twice the price of my saw and that just doesn't make sense.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would it be enough to move on if we all just conceded that the dominator is way overpriced & nowhere near as good premium watches & saws, yet despite this some are still interested in it for no good reason?

Are these terms of surrender acceptable? Or even then would we still need to derail the rest of the thread with value/price debates?

bose301s

Newly Enlightened
Would it be enough to move on if we all just conceded that the dominator is way overpriced & nowhere near as good premium watches & saws, yet despite this some are still interested in it for no good reason?

Are these terms of surrender acceptable? Or even then would we still need to derail the rest of the thread with value/price debates?

CPF Rule 4 violation. Comment removed. Flaming, disrespectful. Trolling like comment.

Last edited by a moderator:

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the Youtube vid.
It's not nearly as big as I thought.

8372301772_bd9b353fff_c.jpg

argleargle

Enlightened
Let's talk about the light and it's properties, shall we?

While there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth at "zomg typical surefire prices," one gigantic point was missed. It was mentioned that the upcoming SF Dominator light is 36v? Really? I can't find that number on any of the pre-release sites I've checked.

That's fascinating. Many new-model electrical vehicles are sporting 36v power subsystems. 36v auxiliary light to go with an electric hybrid? Fascinating. I guess the trolls don't actually care about light or battery technology. Why not 48v? Common for military vehicles, common among the navy, common for many sorts of large vehicle applications. 36v but not 48v. Strike anyone else as very peculiar?

Kind of neat for bleeding-edge technology no doubt backed up by a warranty that still holds if some meanie happens to shoot out your light with a rifle. I expect that the replacement budget is factored in for IED attacks, as well. I don't expect my Fenixes or Jetbeams to be covered by replacement warranty if shot out of your hand or blown up by explosives.

http://www.surefire.com/truestories...ire-weaponlights-survive-just-about-anything/

Debate? Let's talk about it. Hate Surefire? Great, but maybe this isn't your thread then, lads. Call me a SF shill? Good. Refer to my post where I call a certain piece of SF equipment "a girl's light." :laughing: No link, you can find it yourself.

In any case, I'd view this thing's intended use as a light for a squad auto patrol machine gun near some sort of patrol vehicle. Pocket light? No. Don't personally need one of these things. Would I take one for a free review to be published here? Absolutely. Want my mailing address? I'll post beam shots against a cliff face or something.

My .02c.

jimbo@stn23

Newly Enlightened
I just have to wonder what 2000 lumens looks like. Might have to take baby steps seeing as I'm only up to about 300+. Perhaps some day I'll pony up the cash to see what Surefires offerings at 800 or 900 lumens are like. Am thinking that it's a very nicely built light but I'm always leary of "proprietary style power". Just seems like a flashback to the old Surefire bc90 battery sticks and such.

Illum

Flashaholic
Anyone wondering about the fuel gauge? Is it a battery indicator or can it expel gas? :D

I like the idea of using a CST-90 emitter. I bet as always, the beam will be gorgeous like majority of the SF lights.

The fuel gauge could be as simple as a bicolored LED and a PIC, who knows. building a fuel gauge is not difficult, if the price really reflects sophistication, then they might come up with one that is grossly overengineered, included with enough bells and whistles to need its own manual. :)

This thread would be so much better with a pic!

I posted a product photo from optics planet on page 1, even took the time to rehost it to spare the lecture about hotlinking. somewhere along the way Norm had it deleted:ohgeez:

What is the flashlight in the background in this pic, it looks like the UB3T but with a thicker body?

dunno, M4LT?