SureFire E1B Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like this you mean? :D:D

8e930vk.jpg
:), but you forgot the bezel decoration.

p1fiend

Newly Enlightened
SF charges so much for there lights not because they know people will pay it They simply know that people will pay that much for a great light that you can trust to work for you every time.

I hate to be the only negative one in this thread, but after reading multiple threads about SF tailcap clickies and failures, I would be very hesistant about a new 2 stage clicky when people still have problems with normal ones.

mtrunner

Newly Enlightened
Nice. :thumbsup:

Wish it was programmed Low->High (could be the perfect around-the-house light) instead of High->Low, but it's pretty obvious who the target market is, and the setting make sense for them.
I agree...I find a light much more useful when it comes on low first.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
+2

How would you like your Hi-Fi/TV speakers come up at MAX VOLUME every time you turn it on? How about your ipod headphones? High first is dumb.

How about this...
80pieit.jpg

Last edited:

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
No price yet?? How come it says on the surefire website that it's $110? Is that the final price or it might still go up? I hope someone would do a comparison review of this with the L1.

About the Surefire price, just put it like this: Mercedez Benz and Hyundais' are both cars, both have great features, but sometimes you just have to get the more expensive one to spoil yourself... why? because you deserve it!:nana:

zven

Enlightened
Overall, looks like a pretty nice light. I kind of doubt I'll be owning one anytime soon (read: anytime soon after they're released), but looks nice nevertheless.

What I like is that it adds an option in the SureFire line that has smooth, sleek lines without much to catch or wear on clothes. Also, the output and runtimes are about perfect, especially for a 1-cell light. Add the black HA and good clip design (both bezel-up and bezel-down... why did no one, or at least I, never think of that before...), and it shapes up pretty well.

What I don't care for, however, is the tail switch. I do generally prefer clickies over twisties, all other things equal. And I guess it's cool that SureFire is now offering a 2-stage clicky. But what I've always liked about SureFire is that they have some of the best, no-nonsense, simple-as-can-be switching mechanisms. Other lights have been cool with all their modes and levels and such, but the beauty of a SureFire (to me) is that you just press it, and it goes on, exactly as you would expect it to, without having to put any thought into it. When using a flashlight, I don't want to have to explicitly call from memory every time exactly what I need to do to get another mode, or how long I need to wait before I can get back to the first mode again. I suppose I may be exaggerating this point a bit, but the Backup nevertheless seems to approach the realm of over-complicated multimode UI's.

And I must say, my immediate impression of the price was quite the opposite of the comment above. I was actually somewhat suprised at how INexpensive it is. I mean, the other lights in the SF line that come close in functionality and form to this one are the L1 and E1L, which are $135 and $99, respectively. Now, given that the Backup has a fairly powerful LED in it, and that it has 2 levels of output, I would expect the light to at least be around the $135 mark. Add to that the fact that they have a new, 2-stage, clicky tailcap, and I was expecting even a touch more expensive than the L1. But I digress...

Bottom line, it looks nice, with great form factor and perfect levels of brightness (would love to know whether the beam is designed more for flood or throw), but the switching mechanism is disappointing in its complexity (even if it is a lot simpler than most multi-mode lights out there). My hope, therefore, is that SureFire will offer a simple, twisty alternative, such as the A2/L1/L2 switch.

One last note... Is it just me, or does this light have no lock-out possibility for the tail cap?

digitaleos

Enlightened
I agree with you guys that low first is usually best for EDC, but this light is designed for LEO's, and don't forget they already have the L1 which comes on low first. :rolleyes:

Chris

I agree...I find a light much more useful when it comes on low first.

p1fiend

Newly Enlightened
Wish it was programmed Low->High (could be the perfect around-the-house light) instead of High->Low

Agreed, I glossed over this at first. Another bummer. Maybe there will be a way to switch it around?

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not really bashing SF, it's a nice light and I give them credit, I like the light a lot.

But I just think this light, and even other lights from other Manufacturers, have been over priced. It just seems that people here are willing to pay lots of $$$ for lights. The average cost of a Cree or similar LED light has sky rocketed over the past year, there's no denying that. Manufacturers raise their prices a little, we pay, they raise them again, we pay, and it just keeps getting higher and higher. Just a bummer:sigh: for those that don't have money to throw at every new light (though it is hard not to: damn you CPF!!!)

How many of those other lights that you are talking about offer a 10 year Warranty? It also seems we have noticed opposite trends in pricing. It seems this has more features for an SF and lower pricing than most of their line of LED lights. And others elsewhere seem to me to be getting cheaper and cheaper as more competition moves in - especially from China where quality is getting better and prices are getting lower. Some of CPF's favorite brands have moved down in price. I know it is frustrating to want something that is priced out of your reach but making statements like this is not going to drive Surefire to lower their prices. You will probably see street prices on this after a while about 10 to 15% less.

tussery

Enlightened
Read the description of how the clicky works guys, it is not a two stage clicky switch it is just like changing modes on a Fenix and the electronics too change stages are in the head not the switch.

Last edited:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I don't care for, however, is the tail switch. I do generally prefer clickies over twisties, all other things equal. And I guess it's cool that SureFire is now offering a 2-stage clicky. But what I've always liked about SureFire is that they have some of the best, no-nonsense, simple-as-can-be switching mechanisms. Other lights have been cool with all their modes and levels and such, but the beauty of a SureFire (to me) is that you just press it, and it goes on, exactly as you would expect it to, without having to put any thought into it. When using a flashlight, I don't want to have to explicitly call from memory every time exactly what I need to do to get another mode, or how long I need to wait before I can get back to the first mode again. I suppose I may be exaggerating this point a bit, but the Backup nevertheless seems to approach the realm of over-complicated multimode UI's.
Since they mention a time limit for switching to low, I assume the 2-stage mechanism is part of the converter, and the tailcap is a standard, forward, momentary clicky. Might even be the same mechanism as the Z57/Z61. That's fine with me.

greenLED

Flashaholic
R...it is not a two stage clicky switch
:oops:

My bad. That was me calling it that way - couldn't find something more sensible to describe it after I read the description of how it works. The SF description says it's a "two stage switch".

Anywhoooo... I envy those who're going to have a chance to play with it at SHOT.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
...it is not a two stage clicky switch it is just like changing modes on a Fenix...

That's what I was thinking. Judging by the name (and the photo), I'm betting the head is compatible with E series bodies, too. I wonder if it will be possible to buy just the head - although somehow I doubt it. How is this going to impact sales of the L1?

Sorry I didn't notice the clip could be used in either direction. Thanks to whomever pointed that out to me.

Is it just me, or does this almost seem like Surefire's response to the Novatac T series lights?

Last edited:

Riddick

Newly Enlightened
That 37 hour runtime at 5 lumens sounds really good to me. (I really like the 1.1 lumen 90 hr on the older L1)

And that 80 lumens for, what I guess is gonna be 1 hr 20 min, man . . . . its like they tried to take a page out of Milkyspits playbook. I don't know, I want a Milky L1, hopefully soon.

But this light looks real sweet and these SureFire guys look like they're trying hard to put out some fine lights. As far as price goes, I got feeling this took some work to achieve. A little over a C-note, I'll save up for one without a doubt, SureFiire quality is unsurpassed

GreySave

Enlightened
Aw heck! And I've been so good about not buying any lights lately. That little guy looks sweet. Resistance is futile..........

Status
Not open for further replies.