SureFire E1B Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riddick

Newly Enlightened
Resistance is futile

In this case

Absolutely!!

Maybe that Size 15's guy can tell us when she's due out . . . I mean he has all the SureFire poop. Right?

Bort

Newly Enlightened
It looks great.This is definately going to be my next light:party:

Size15's

Flashaholic
Maybe that Size 15's guy can tell us when she's due out . . . I mean he has all the SureFire poop. Right?
Nobody can tell you when the E1B is going to be released with any certainty. We know this because release dates shift around.
Your friendly CPF-supporting SureFire Dealer can tell you when SureFire ship the E1B's to him and this should give you an indication on when you'll get yours in hand.

IMHO it hasn't been released until you can buy one and you're holding it in your hand.

Just a comment on the two-way PocketClip - SureFire have been working on this concept for years... ;)

Regarding the switch UI - I think it's best to try it before passing judgement.
From my perspective I'm still EDC'ing the L1 - I'm very used to the switch and UI. I'm not a fan of clickie switches.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a comment on the two-way PocketClip - SureFire have been working on this concept for years... ;)

Exactly how many iterations can a piece of spring steel go through? I do like it though.

I still prefer the E2L to this light for backup purposes. I should buy an E2L someday. I should say that my backup circumstances would be pretty dire and not EDC-related.

Basically, this thing's a Surefire Amilite T5, as far as I can tell...

magic_elf

Banned
LOL! They took years in their "R&D" to work on a 2 way pocket clip?
I wanna work in that department :D

bigfoot

Enlightened
This is very frustrating...

Just as I thought my SF collection was about perfect, with an E1L, G2, and a 6PL, Surefire had to release this great looking E1B.

Will it ever end? Geez!!! :D

Riddick

Newly Enlightened
Well I would guess within 6 months or so?

I wasn't trying to hold your feet to the fire on this one, I figured you would have a better guess than myself.

Bernhard

Newly Enlightened
I don't really like the look of this light. It looks cheap compared to the design of other SF light. The smaller front also looks ugly IMHO. Although I haven't see this light in person, this is my first impression just by looking at the picture. I don't like the word "Backup" either. It contribute to cheaper looks of the light.
Clever clip design, though...

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
Well I would guess within 6 months or so?

I wasn't trying to hold your feet to the fire on this one, I figured you would have a better guess than myself.

I gave up trying to keep up with guessing release dates years ago. Anyway I'm not really that bothered when the new products get released. They'll be released when they're released! Plenty of other things to be getting on with once you've asked your SureFire Dealer to send you one. Hopefully it'll surprise you when it arrives because you weren't worrying about it.

Al

Dogbyte

Newly Enlightened
I'm happy to see that so far the discussion has primarily been about the light itself – its features and purpose. I'm so tired of Surefire threads that end up with the Surefire haters raging on-and-on about the price and lack of technology, and at the same time the "I'll bet my life on it" crowd chimes in as if a Surefire can never fail and every other light is guaranteed too!

The price is the price; I'll make up my own mind about whether it is worth it to me and assume that it isn't worth it to those who don't buy it. Don't see the purpose in a lot of discussion about it.

Don't plan to, or expect to have to bet my life on any light, but for those that need and use Surefire tactical lights this seems to be ideal for exactly what it is intended for – a backup. Many of the Surefire lights are still incandescent – and still the best option for their intended purpose – but it just makes sense to carry a backup for an incandescent light that can be clipped within reach and deployed quicker than changing a lamp assembly or batteries. As a backup for a tactical user it makes sense to have an 80 lumen high first, and a long running low for paperwork, map-reading, etc. For my non-tactical purposes I'd like to see the same or similar light with the same clip in a low-high configuration.

The clip is fantastic – so simple once you see it!

Last edited:

zven

Enlightened
Since they mention a time limit for switching to low, I assume the 2-stage mechanism is part of the converter, and the tailcap is a standard, forward, momentary clicky. Might even be the same mechanism as the Z57/Z61. That's fine with me.

Yeah, thinking about it like that, it probably is integrated into the light further than just having the stuff in the tail cap. And if that's true, it probably explains why it didn't cost as much as I expected. After all, it can cost that much more to program chips in a new way, especially compared to designing and setting up production for a whole new piece of physical hardware like the tailcap. (Especially something that's going to be frequently replaced, as SF clickies seem to be known for... I've had a 2 for 2 failure rate on mine.)

In the end, though, it does seem like it will excel at its intended purpose: backup. I think the L1 is more my cup of tea, but the 80/5 lumens levels are so tempting...

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interesting light..........with the L1 and Titan, Surefire must believe that smaller 1 cell LED lights have merit in the "professional" market.

If one believes it is over-priced, under engineered or prone to issues, why would you buy? (perhaps you have a very high opinion of the value of your opinion and like to hear yourself speak??)

It would seem that if one hasn't touched or seen one and if numerous haven't used for a period of time to evaluate..........then to opine about too high a price and problems is simply trolling.......please buy something else, as all that you do is show your ignorance regarding the "business" of Manufacturer's. (Not to mention, Engineering, Manufacturing, Process Control, Quality Control, Sales, Marketing, Management and Financial issues)

Obviously, a forum is for those to express an opinion, but the continued posts that are simply IMO ridiculous are persistent regarding Surefire.

I would venture to say that Surefire has not intended CPF as the "prime" market for this or ANY of their offerings and it is amazing(to me) that any member, sight unseen would bash and complain about a Manufacturer that happens to be a leader in their industry, particularly if you really like hand held lighting????

Perhaps reading this forum and possessing a few flashlights makes one an expert in the field?? (Personally, I wonder if ANY that express these sentiments have ever Engineered, Manufactured, Designed, Sold or been involved in ANY aspect of Manufacturing of ANY product, ESPECIALLY a flashlight?)

jeffb

$110:duh2::eek::thumbsdow

This light would be my first Surefire, but not for that price. That light is NOT worth more than $70 tops, and that is stretching it.

There is no reason why it should be that much money.

Except for the fact that people will pay that much.

This stinks. I really like everything about the light. The look, the design, the smoothness, the outputs, the runtime, the clickie, and especially the pocket-clip, but I just can't get over the price.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im sorry, but this light was created already, its called a P2D...:duck:

i just had to say that...:devil:

But really, whats so great about this light?
1. Foward clicky (it better damn well be)
2.Clip
3.Surefire
4.TIR (depends on preference)
5. Surefire grade alluminium.

What is wierd -
1. Looks cheap, as Bernhard points out, it looks like a "chinese style" as people are fond of saying here, that has random words like Police,stronglight, and *gasp* backup?whyyyy

2.People are gonna start complaining about the lack of knurling, cos it wont be grippy enough,and dont tell me the lack of knurling is for " no knurling or sharp edges to catch on clothing", my arc has never gotten stuck in my pocket, and lack of knurling is a big issue in the fenix t1

3. the UI, you would think surefire would create a different kind of switching mechanism, or they could just make the L1 give out 80 lumens and low 5 lumens and be done with it, rather then just jumping on the bandwagon of "on-off-on" type switching.

I dont want to turn this into a fenix vs surefire thread, that was a joke, but my issue is with, paying $110, i would expect quite abit more out of a this light, especially comeing from surefire..
EDIT: taking into account what jeffb said, i dont intend to step on any toes, i guess there will always be two camps, surefire is to expensive, surefire is worth the money. I still love surefire, dont get me wrong, its just other brands are more accesible to my budget..

and surefire isnt the only one with a great warranty and cust service btw..

that said, Dogbyte is right, surefire is a great brand, and i mean, if this light works for you, by all means, its all personal preference, the above is just my observations based on past threads..

my 2cents..

but i think we can all agree that surefire should have a "new lights" page rather then just sliding in one like that...

Crenshaw

Last edited:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire E1B Backup

This is like the ultimate Surefire rumor really. Are Shot Show buildup.
Maybe these will be on display.
That Clip looks like the from the pages of ARC/HDS. Infact the light looks to me the surefire answer to the HDS EDC or arc 4. small form factor 2 levels hi and low. That 80 lumen number is quite familiar.
I love where this light is going and I will have one if they really become available.
This light is right up my alley. small single cell bright and low.
It also reminds me of a PD low and hi single cell and nice clip.
The CPF influence is strong in this light. JUST LIKE THE FORCE.
Oh nice price too. The New HDS light is much more expensive. and this light is coming from a company with a track record of supporting it's customers unlike Henry's previous efforts (just try to get an HDS EDC factory repair.)

Anybody look up those Patent numbers? Are they anything NEW?

Nice design. It needs a new name.
Yaesumofo

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: Surefire E1B Backup

Wow, this looks pretty cool. I like the smooth lines. Maybe it looks cheap but I'd want to see some more pics or better yet a real one. I think high-then-low is the right way to set up the levels in this type of light since it's not a general purpose edc. I was pretty unimpressed with the early generation Luxeon optics but this TIR stuff sounds interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.