Surefire e2dl ultra

chnzwh

Newly Enlightened
But if it's because they don't wanna keep too many different parts, they should have discontinue the A2L Aviator as well (and make an updated aviator in the EB series style), since A2L and LX2 share the same body & tailcap.

Illum

Flashaholic
Surefire is shooting themselves in the foot with what they've done of late

I've not taken Surefire seriously since PK stepped out of the picture. Some of these new designs are a bit :green: compared to the ones between 2003 and 2007. As for their name scheme...
23sz05j.gif

Last edited:

biglights

Enlightened
No, thats why I was looking foward to it so much. I have a couple others, but none with TIR. I was kinda woried at first shinning it inside. All fears where erased once it got dark :clap:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bummer.

I've got an old E2D LED Defender and have had an LX2 for about a year and am very impressed with their throwing ability considering their (relatively) low output.

I'm not crazy about how they work on low at close range due to the lack of spill. An F04 diffuser takes care of that though.

Surely someone will receive one soon that's got a standard version so that body compatibility and other details can be determined. If it doesn't happen reasonably soon, I could always send my E2D to a new Ultra owner for a comparison.

Grizz

biglights

Enlightened
would you be kind enough to share some pics and beam shots by chance? I'm itching to pick this up just as soon as it comes back in stock.

I was going to try tonite, but the house next to me is having a campfire. I tried out front and even with a sreet light on it still lit up a lot of area. A lot more flood than I was expecting. Plus great throw also.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sounds very uncharacteristic of their TIR'd lights. Mine give barely noticeable flood outdoors at distances of 15 yards and greater..

I just set mine onto a tripod I've still got set up in the basement and measured a spot size of 26" at a distance of 10 feet. If the Ultra does provide useful spill and significantly more energy in the spot, then that would be awesome.

Grizz

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XM-L is too big to be totally focused by a TIR optic of that size, so you'll get more flood from the E2DL Ultra.

biglights

Enlightened
I would say that it has lots of flood. That is what I was most surprised of. Im glad it does, I didnt want just a tight beam.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sweet!! It's getting even more tempting to me.

If it's using an XM-L, then that would make complete sense. I haven't read anywhere that definitively specifies which emitter is used. I'd be surprise for Surefire to drive an XP-G2 to 500 lumens, so an XM-L or XM-L2 would be more likely now that I've thought about it more.

Grizz

biglights

Enlightened
I just watched the video on GoingGear of the old E2D. Mine looks nothing like that. With the new one when Marshall shines it at the back trees the ultra would light up everthing. Way more flood on mine.

HistoryChannel

Enlightened
Can someone tell me why this is such a tempting light? Yes, I'm a huge SF fan and I know SF makes solid lights. But really? What's so exciting about this when considering the $265 retail price tag? I really really want to want this light but the price tag pretty much squashed any excitement I had.

How is this almost $200 better than say an Eagletac D25LC2 XM-L2 U2 for $68 MSRP? What happened to the good ol' days when SF prices were competitive? ( I remember getting my M6 for $180, E2e for $65, so on and so forth...) $265 really?

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's enough good news for me. I've pre-ordered one, but didn't pay $265..

Thanks for the info!!

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire's lifetime no hassle warranty and outstanding durability are baked into the prices, which cannot be ignored.

Most of the Surefires I own were purchased as $40-65 hosts and have been extensively modded. The stock ones all have TIR optics, which is a relatively unique offering.

Grizz

og556

Newly Enlightened
Where is a good place to buy an E2DL Ultra ?

I can't find one in stock any where.

biglights

Enlightened
I got mine from Amazon. When I ordered mine it said they had 8 in stock and they were sold out real fast. I saw a pre- order from BH Photo. Mine was shipped out of Ontario CA. Maybe sign up for notifaction on Amazon for when they get them back in stock.

Latest posts