SureFire EB2 Backup - Review, photos, beamshots and discussion

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting thoughts. Here I wonder: does this mean that the burst mode occurs only the first time you turn on the light with fresh batteries(if letting it be on for a while), and after that it will be regulated at the lower output from the start?
No, it will happen every time.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, it will happen every time.

That should mean that the short burst is programmed in the curcuit, and not because direct drive? The battery would not keep the higher initial voltage every time even when it goes low(er), or am I wrong?

Last edited:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
It doesn't have to do with battery voltage because it is programmed into the light. The same behavior can be seen with LFP123A's.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm more of a lurker than a poster, but I thought I'd chime in. My EB1T and EB2T both exhibit the same symptoms - mash on the tactical tailcap fast enough, and it switches modes when it's always supposed to be at full power. I've emailed Surefire to see what they'll say... hopefully this gets resolved!

I would call them. Lots of members here never get a response via email. Please let us know what you find out...

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting thoughts. Here I wonder: does this mean that the burst mode occurs only the first time you turn on the light with fresh batteries(if letting it be on for a while), and after that it will be regulated at the lower output from the start?

I'm beginning to understand the point that Robin is trying to make and now I'm doubting my thought that the drop was due to voltage sag. If voltage alone, as I suggested, was the reason for the varying output then the rechargeable cells would have had a noticeably higher initial output than CR123a's.

I should have avoided commenting on the reason for the drop as my point with the previous post was only to illustrate that perhaps the E2B is not dropping from 500 lumens but instead it may be dropping to 500 lumens (or something close to that).

I am going to edit the previous post accordingly.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would have been a long-winded explanation and I was in a hurry to get to work, so hopefully my brief mumblings are starting to make more sense. :)

If you have a reasonably-sized light box and another light that is known to be around 500 lumens (maybe a Streamlight ProTac HL or Strion LED HL), you should be able to get a rough estimate. I doubt SureFire would market 700 lumens as 500 lumens, and the Oslon Square LED isn't capable of that much output, so it should be 500 lumens initially.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
880arm,

I am also interested to read some report about where EB2 puts out 500lm. It should not surprise me if the initial boost brightness is significantly higher than 500lm. My P2X Fury definitely puts out ~600 ANSI lm with fresh CR123s and then it drops just slightly(less than 10%) until it becomes stable, providing holding it in my hand.

litlmh

Newly Enlightened
I would call them. Lots of members here never get a response via email. Please let us know what you find out...

The email reply that they sent wasn't very useful... I believe they misunderstood my question.

When I called Surefire, technical support said that the lights were programmed to work that way (hard mash to high, hard mash to low, etc). However, he said that they could reprogram my lights with a quick turnaround time if I sent it in to them. They issued an RMA for both my EB1T and EB2T which were behaving that way. Really pleased with Surefire technical support :thumbsup:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
The email reply that they sent wasn't very useful... I believe they misunderstood my question.

When I called Surefire, technical support said that the lights were programmed to work that way (hard mash to high, hard mash to low, etc). However, he said that they could reprogram my lights with a quick turnaround time if I sent it in to them. They issued an RMA for both my EB1T and EB2T which were behaving that way. Really pleased with Surefire technical support :thumbsup:

Glad to hear it! Although I highly doubt they "were programmed to work that way"... I think they probably put a bunch of click model heads on some tactical switched bodies, and now they are realizing their mistake.

Either way, hope they work it out!

cankster

Newly Enlightened
I wish I would have thought of marking the head on my flashlight to see if they replace it or reprogram it.

Cank

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my EB2-T today and it, too, had the clicky's UI. I called Surefire and the representative authorized the RMA within minutes, so that it could be re-flashed.

I also voiced my concern about my lack of faith with the stock two-way clip, and asked if I could buy some more, and he said that he would ship a few out, which was awesome.

tonkem

Enlightened
Yes, my dealings with Surefire have been nothing short of impressive. I have 2 E1L's older 2 way 3/45 lumen models. I called them and asked if I could buy 2 of the 2 way clips for the E1B, they told me that they don't sell them. I mentioned that I just wanted to add them to the lights I already owned. I then conversed with 2 tech support reps, one was a manager, who proceeded to tell me that they were not sure they would fit, but I told them that I had seen many add them to their E1L's without issue. He then said, "We will ship 2 of them to you, no charge". That is service! I love my E1L's with the 2 way clips. Being that they added the 2 way clip to the new E1L, I would guess that they are figuring that out :)

hcd615

Enlightened
Sorry to ask this but - I have two EB2-T light coming today. What behavior should I be looking for to test if the UI is not working properly? If I understand, when I press the tailcap button (soft / half) it is LOW mode, (hard / full) press is HIGH mode - same as my EB1's behavior. So if faulty what will they do, I am a bit confused.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to ask this but - I have two EB2-T light coming today. What behavior should I be looking for to test if the UI is not working properly? If I understand, when I press the tailcap button (soft / half) it is LOW mode, (hard / full) press is HIGH mode - same as my EB1's behavior. So if faulty what will they do, I am a bit confused.

They should do just what you described. The EB2T's with the wrong head on them will give you low output with a hard/full press if you cycle the light OFF-ON-OFF-ON quickly and repeatedly.

Easy test - Just make full presses as quickly as you can. If the EB2T is working properly you should only see high mode. If it's not, you will know after a couple of presses.

hcd615

Enlightened
880arm - THANK YOU for the quick response! Just tested my EB1 on my night table and it seems to work. Let's hope the new EB2's work as designed. If not I have to send it back to SF and be without it, that stinks! I just bought them yesterday and have them overnighted.

What does it seem so far - the ones people are getting are faulty so far, or is there a chance mine could have the "correct head" and work properly?

hcd615

Enlightened
So I got the lights.

-->> One I press on/off at a STEADY pace and HIGH mode each time.

-->> Other light being pressed at a STEADY pace goes to HIGH then LOW mode every other time.

Called SF and the rep said said it is faulty. Very friendly and helpful! Going back to SF today to be reprogrammed.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
Just tested my EB!T. If I am very deliberate in quickly pressing the button, quickly and completely releasing it, and quickly pressing it again, I can get it to go into low mode with a full press. It has to be so deliberately done that I cannot see it happening during any realistic use of the light.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
500%2520lumen%2520comparison.jpg
The runtime graph looks more or less like the E2DLU graph.

Is it possible to do a 2nd measurement, but this time you are cooling the flashlight with a small fan?

In the German Messerforum we found out, that the E2LU has a temterature regulated output. If the light gets to hot, it reduces the power. At the beginning we were surprised becausethe E2DLU runtime graph we took was different to the graph postet here in CPF, later wie found out it is because we were cooling the light with a small fan.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
The runtime graph looks more or less like the E2DLU graph.

Is it possible to do a 2nd measurement, but this time you are cooling the flashlight with a small fan?

In the German Messerforum we found out, that the E2LU has a temterature regulated output. If the light gets to hot, it reduces the power. At the beginning we were surprised becausethe E2DLU runtime graph we took was different to the graph postet here in CPF, later wie found out it is because we were cooling the light with a small fan.

Thank you for sharing that link, it was very interesting. Hats off to the posters at Messerforum for coming to that conclusion. I had wondered why the output of the E2DL Ultra and EB2 fluctuated so much while running in regulation and the thermal management you mentioned could be a good explanation.

As you said, the graphs of the E2DL Ultra and EB2 are very nearly the same but in my limited testing the E2DL Ultra has maintained its output at a slightly higher level than the EB2. As a trade-off to that, the EB2 maintains the output slightly longer and has a longer "tail" of low output after it drops out of regulation. This was more evident when running CR123's than with rechargeables.

I don't have a small fan handy to test this with but I may be able to come up with something before this weekend when I will try some more runtime tests.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a small fan handy to test this with but I may be able to come up with something before this weekend when I will try some more runtime tests.

Actually holding the light in the hand can have a significant importance when it comes to cooling, I know that with as well E2DL and P2X Fury. I think it's quite similar as fan cooling.