SureFire EB2 Backup - Review, photos, beamshots and discussion

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question for those of you who own one of the following: Surefire L1, L2, A2, or LX2

How does the tactical tailcap on the EB1/EB2 compare? Do the newer lights feel different from the older ones, or are they the exact same?

freeride21a

Newly Enlightened
Question for those of you who own one of the following: Surefire L1, L2, A2, or LX2

How does the tactical tailcap on the EB1/EB2 compare? Do the newer lights feel different from the older ones, or are they the exact same?

My LX2 and EB2 tailcap are very similar in use and feel with the scales tipping towards the EB2 as it feels more refined... but that could be because my LX2 was in use from from june 2009 through March 2014 and got a LOT of use and wear. Then I lost it which prompted the EB2. I just found it last week in the couch tucked in a seam edge!

I have a new tailcap on the way for my LX2(twist on high was worn out) so, will probably follow up when new tailcap is installed.

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
My LX2 and EB2 tailcap are very similar in use and feel with the scales tipping towards the EB2 as it feels more refined... but that could be because my LX2 was in use from from june 2009 through March 2014 and got a LOT of use and wear. Then I lost it which prompted the EB2. I just found it last week in the couch tucked in a seam edge!

I have a new tailcap on the way for my LX2(twist on high was worn out) so, will probably follow up when new tailcap is installed.

Excellent, thanks. I look forward to your update on the new tailcap.

bigboss91

Newly Enlightened
Just got my EB2 Tactical in Tan. There is an issue with twisting the tail cap for constant on. When I twist to constant low mode, and then twist back to off, the light will flash the high mode before turning off. High mode will also sometimes flash when I use momentary low mode and then let go.

I will try cleaning and re-lubing the threads (doesn't seem like there's any lube on the threads at all).

EDIT: just cleaned and re-lubed it. Still has the problem. I'm hoping there's an easy fix for this that doesn't require a return to Surefire.

I'm having the same issue with my EB2BK, tried cleaning the threads, installing new batteries, nothing seems to be working. Defective tail cap maybe?

KBobAries

Enlightened
Has anyone seen the inside of the EB2's tailcap yet? Is it the same electrically as the LX2? I prefer the LX2 body style over the EB2 and have thought about swapping heads. I have an LX2 but haven't bought an EB2 yet due to not knowing if extended use of the EB2 would damage the LX2 tailcap.

Dan

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question on the difference between the tactical and click switch versions. I know the head and tailcap are different but is the body identical between the two?

On the original model, both the head and body are identical.

I was under the impression from reading this thread that the EB2 heads on the clicky and tactical were indeed different.

From the first post on this thread:

Although they appear identical, the heads on the EB2C and EB2T are programmed differently. The EB2T head is effectively a single output light, with the lower output level a function of the 2-stage tailcap (as with the LX2 LumaMax). The EB2C head is a true two-mode head, similar in operation to the E2D LED Defender and E1B Backup.

But did we later decide that the heads are the same? :confused:

Last edited:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was under the impression from reading this thread that the EB2 heads on the clicky and tactical were indeed different.
Sorry, I wasn't paying attention and thought this was the EB1 thread. The EB2T head does not work in dual-output with a clicky switch, though I don't know if the reverse is true as I don't have a EB2C.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I wasn't paying attention and thought this was the EB1 thread. The EB2T head does not work in dual-output with a clicky switch, though I don't know if the reverse is true as I don't have a EB2C.

I would like to use a 16650 with my EB1T. This would require me using a 2-cell EB2 body to house the 16650 battery. My concern was whether or not there is a difference between the body on the EB2C & EB2T. I can transfer the head and tailcap from my EB1T to the EB2T body, but I would hate to pick up an EB2C body only to find out it won't work with a tactical tailcap.

Last edited:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to use a 16650 with my EB1T. This would require me using a 2-cell EB2 body to house the 16650 battery. My concern was whether or not there is a difference between the body on the EB2C & EB2T. I can transfer the head and tailcap from my EB1T to the EB2T body, but I would hate to pick up an EB2C body only to find out it won't work with a tactical tailcap.
Why not just get an EB2T body? The EB2C body will probably work, but the EB2T body will work for sure.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not just get an EB2T body? The EB2C body will probably work, but the EB2T body will work for sure.

It's difficult to find just a body, so it's more likely I will need to buy a complete light. The EB2T is more scarce than the EB2C. So if I come across a good deal on an EB2C, I didn't want to buy it thinking it would work for me and end up stuck with something I can't use.

PatriotUnknown

Newly Enlightened

I have had both EB2 T and C. If you switch the heads they don't work well. The heads sometimes get "confused" as to what mode you want, low or high. For instance the EB2C could get stuck on 5 lumen output even when the tactical tail cap is fully depressed. The EB2T head on the click tail cap really only worked on high. I don't think I ever could get it to go to low mode. Sorry to disappoint!

Inebriated

Newly Enlightened
I have had both EB2 T and C. If you switch the heads they don't work well. The heads sometimes get "confused" as to what mode you want, low or high. For instance the EB2C could get stuck on 5 lumen output even when the tactical tail cap is fully depressed. The EB2T head on the click tail cap really only worked on high. I don't think I ever could get it to go to low mode. Sorry to disappoint!
Disappointing, but I'm glad I found this... You saved me a bunch of money on gambling with an EB1-T cap on an EB2-C body/head.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello friends!
I got EB2 500/5 lumens.
From 16650 it works partially - in a weak mode it works well, and when trying to turn on strong mode,
a very short bright flash occurs and the weak mode is again lit.
Somebody tried to use from with 2*RCR123?
While I inserted one RCR123 and one regular 123 - it works well. I'm wondering if it works with two RCR123.
If yes then I'll go buy a second RCR123 (I only have one piece RCR123).

Up All Night

Enlightened
@desert.snake
Don't mix battery chemistry, multi cell set ups should use the exact same cells.
I have tried 3.6 volt(4.2 volts off the charger) 16340s in a EB2 tactical and it functions normally. No guarantees it won't harm the light eventually. I now run K2 brand 3.2 volt rcr123 LiPo batteries worry free. You will need a compatible charger for that chemistry.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you!
I do not use now any more different chemistry, just the same.
I tried 2 * 18650 LG 3 Ah. A temporary body was made, it can be used as a tactical baton.
Flashlight works fine except one moment,
he does not go into a weak mode, apparently he needs his own button, I use from 6PX pro.
When the battery is about 4.2 volts (2.07 and 2.13), the flashlight starts to flash.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Checked working time. At 15.00 I switched on the, at 15.55 the brightness decreased slightly,
at 16.33 the brightness dropped abruptly to a level below 200 lm, but above 110 lm,
at 21.07 the flicker increased, but the brightness was the same,
at 21.59 the brightness dropped abruptly to a level of about 10 lm,
at 22.15 the flashlight began to make a stroboscope, I turned off the flashlight,
the voltage was 2.01 and 2.05 V. This was happening in the room, with no wind,
a temperature of 19 degrees.

michaex

Enlightened
I've just ordered EB2C and I'm planning to use it on a E2L body. Is there anything I should be careful with? Can the standard E2L tailcap take 1.5A current draw? Thanks!