SUREFIRE EDCL-2T

JJRG

Newly Enlightened
So, while I'm admittedly biased, I've been using the EDCL-1T for the last couple of months and not had any issues with the "low" setting not being enough light for the tasks I'm using it for. What would be a more useful low setting for you folks, and why?

Thanks!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
So, while I'm admittedly biased, I've been using the EDCL-1T for the last couple of months and not had any issues with the "low" setting not being enough light for the tasks I'm using it for. What would be a more useful low setting for you folks, and why?

Thanks!

You'll never get a concensus for the "what low for you folks" question.
You guys build it for its intended purposes with real world applications and we'll be ok. Build it 0.5 to 15.27 lumens or any number in between and somebody will say "too dim" or "too bright". For my money 5 lumens is about right. Considering the low is likely intended for map reading, low light stealth movements or 2am nature calls without giving away the location of your foxhole , it sounds about right to me.
But why no lanyard ring option? I'm ok without it, (hell I'll make one for mine) Ijust find them very useful in hazardous situations...

Lumen83

Enlightened

Thanks!

15 is good for me. I use the low, which I believe is rated at 15, on my lx2 almost exclusively until I need more light. Seems like 15 is just the right amount of light for almost everything I need to do in the dark until I need to light up something pretty far away. It is good for walking the dog before and after work in the dark, tasks around the house during power outages, hiking in the dark, etc. I also use it at work some times to navigate buildings that are under construction when the power has not been brought online yet. Same amount of lumens as my g2x pros. And same use cases. But the g2x pros have the clicky tail cap, as you know, and I hate that about them. That is why I got excited about the EDCL-2T and the throw back to the LX2 / A2 style tail cap. Actually, the EDCL-1T would be what I'm after. I'd have to see and test it with the 5 lumens before I commit. But, I would jump straight at with 15, as long as it isn't too far out of my price range.

Last edited:

Lumen83

Enlightened
Another note, I believe my Kroma's low is rated at 15 as well. Correct me if I am wrong. But, that low appears to be nowhere near as bright as the lx2 and g2X. The Kroma is much better suited for sneaking around, map reading, etc. It would not be good for the tasks I mentioned above that I use my lx2 and g2x for. That said, three is a chance that the EDCL-1T's low is brighter or dimmer than I am anticipating, given the apparent discrepancies between models. So, I would have to see it and test it in person. I would not rule it out yet.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ Gotta agree there. I hardly ever turn my G2x Pro to high as the 16 or so lumens serves 99% of my uses for that one.

If this "edc" is for us general purpose regular folks then yeah 15 lumens is better than 5. But if the T is for True Tactical then I see why SureFire chose 5.

I find the 7 lumen low of my 315 Alpha by Elzetta to be a great fit for low light needs. And if the beam of the edcl is akin to the other E lights then 5 will light ahead very well (vs a floody 5) yet provide that 'situational awareness' missing with many modern lighting tools. (ie peripheral vision isn't altered by too much spill causing blindness at the outskirts of the beam, but instead allows night adapted vision to remain intact at 45° angles from the spot)

Last edited:

Lumen83

Enlightened
If this "edc" is for us general purpose regular folks then yeah 15 lumens is better than 5. But if the T is for True Tactical then I see why SureFire chose 5.

Good point. I didn't think of that. If the light has that purpose, then it seems like they may have nailed it. I can't fault them for a light, designed with a purpose in mind, because it doesn't meet my criteria for something other than that purpose.

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast
15 lumens is a perfect low I think. Everyone is different though.

jellydonut

Enlightened

Thanks!

I had to look up how many lumens the low mode of the A2 (with the crappy 5mm LEDs) has and it turns out it's 3 lumens, so 5 is good for me.

Honestly my ideal light would be a three-step light using the PK/A2 patent - press slightly for low, more for medium, all the way for max, and then twist inward for constant on at each level. I'm not sure if this would even be possible without re-engineering the tailcap, though.

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well really looking forward to this light and the little EDCL-1T. Hope they both come out this Monday for the "Mega Lumens Monday"

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
Hey, are we talking 'bout SureFire lumens here? My good'ol E2DL-BK (200/5), the 5 lumens low is actually more like 12 lumens. It's even brighter than light that claims to output 12 lumens (case in point, Olight S30R III low mode).
The 15 lumens low on my LX2 is more like 27 lumens while the 15 lumens low on my G2X-Pro is more like 20 lumens or more.
So I've long since come to terms with the SureFire low settings to not trust it as it's always underated :grin2: :whistle: :nana: ...

Lumen83

Enlightened
I've never seen any use for less than 25 or so lumens. I guess I've just never been trying to read a map in a foxhole?

Some times when I'm backpacking I'll hang the light by the lanyard in the tent and read a book, make dinner, change out of my clothes, get into sleeping bag, etc. 15 is about as bright as I want. Probably less unless its pure flood. Also, I have a use for much less than five if trying to preserve as much of my night adapted vision as possible, and I don't have my red LED lights with me. Hunting, Astronomy, going to the bathroom in the middle of the night without waking anyone, etc.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Hey, are we talking 'bout SureFire lumens here? My good'ol E2DL-BK (200/5), the 5 lumens low is actually more like 12 lumens. It's even brighter than light that claims to output 12 lumens (case in point, Olight S30R III low mode).
The 15 lumens low on my LX2 is more like 27 lumens while the 15 lumens low on my G2X-Pro is more like 20 lumens or more.
So I've long since come to terms with the SureFire low settings to not trust it as it's always underated :grin2: :whistle: :nana: ...

This!!!

The other night I did a compare with a 60 lumen E2D bulb vs about 85 lumens of a Malkoff NLL and it wasn't even a fair fight (if you wanna call it that) at 100' (30m).

My guess is it'll be throwy, so hanging from a tent roof may not be like a lantern, but navigating out of the woods after sun down in battery sipper mode it'll be great.

Lumen83

Enlightened
My guess is it'll be throwy, so hanging from a tent roof may not be like a lantern, but navigating out of the woods after sun down in battery sipper mode it'll be great.

Well, then lets hope so. I sure could find a use case for that!

jd101

Newly Enlightened
I did a compare with a 60 lumen E2D bulb vs about 85 lumens of a Malkoff NLL and it wasn't even a fair fight (if you wanna call it that) at 100' (30m).

For the benefit of this novice could you please explain? Esp. as I'm considering a Malkoff dropin for my very old G2-L. Thanks.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF jd.

The Malkoff emitter has a big spot that seemlessly blends to a spill that spreads evenly into a floody beam. The perfect blend means a slight reduction in the throw. At 75 feet the NLL provides a well lit circle with a spill that tapers gentlely to the outter edges until your peripheral vision no longer plays a roll.

Now that SureFire bulb aims a ton of light forward. It has a bright spot with a noticeable change outside of the spot. That causes the light to cast its beam to 100 feet or more easily lighting objects in its spot. Now the spill outside of the spot is a reduction in brightness that while providing plenty of lighting to the edges of your peripherals does not give your night adapted vision so much total light, that the items lit seem to stand out more, as if looking into a tunnel sort of. The contrast between light and dark appears more starkley.

Many prefer the overall light output of a flashlight in that it lights up more area brightly, which requires less scanning when searching for something.

The term SureFire lumens mentioned by Rookie Daddy above is a term used by many to describe how some of their older lights appear a lot brighter than the numbers suggest. They were designed by a flashaholic named PK who knows how to make a flashlight beam appear brighter than the competition.

What I meant by "wasn't even a fair fight" was that 60 lumen light bulb appeared to light an area 100 feet away a lot more effectively than the 85 lumen LED.

Now all this started as my way of saying if this new "E" series is anything like the orignal stuff then 5 lumens will appear like more than that.

The Malkoff drop in is a really nice alternative to the P60L. An NL version will appear a lot brighter than the LED that came with a G2L while providing several hours of regulated runtime and no thermal step down. It's a favorite by many here for their G2's.

Last edited:

jd101

Newly Enlightened
Bykfxer, thanks very much for the comprehensive response. Just a few weeks ago I got a Prometheus Beta QRv2 for my keychain which I love, and noticed (until then not having had anything to compare with) that the Surefire G2-L is looking very dim these days. I read on CPF that this is a known problem, which is leading me to a Malkoff NL or NLL for the Surefire -- and maybe a new G2X-Pro or a Malkoff MDC while I'm at it.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Bykfxer, thanks very much for the comprehensive response. Just a few weeks ago I got a Prometheus Beta QRv2 for my keychain which I love, and noticed (until then not having had anything to compare with) that the Surefire G2-L is looking very dim these days. I read on CPF that this is a known problem, which is leading me to a Malkoff NL or NLL for the Surefire -- and maybe a new G2X-Pro or a Malkoff MDC while I'm at it.

The Malkoff NL has what are called Malkoff lumens. Like SureFire lumens it makes the light appear brighter than the numbers suggest.

The G2x Pro also has SureFire lumens. Another great one. It reminds me of my automobile headlights. Low beams work great most of the time with an optional high beam.

Hopefully the new EDCL series will be popular. I'm being extra good lately hoping Santa drops one down my chimney this year.

free2game

Newly Enlightened
etp1ATZ.jpg

Product page if anyone's interested