SUREFIRE EDCL-2T

IMightBeWrong

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know if this light is regulated as well as its little brother? Somebody posted that the 1T runs at max brightness around 30 minutes before the brightness drops.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone know if this light is regulated as well as its little brother? Somebody posted that the 1T runs at max brightness around 30 minutes before the brightness drops.

I answered this as best I could in post #614 on the last page (using K2 LPF cells).

I did a quick test on my EDCL2-T using K2 LPF cells. There was a drop off in brightness within the first minute or minute-and-a-half. It then leveled off at what I would estimate to be 850-900 lumens and it held this brightness for the next 15 minutes. After that point brightness dropped off very quickly.

The single-depress; turn to leave it on of Surefire's tactical user interface made their Millennium Special Operations Series, Centurion, and pretty much all of their discontinued lights critical equipment. i am relieved to see they went with this UI for the EDCL2-T.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I never could get past how warm the batteries get with this one. I ended up using the head on an older E2 Defender. That combo sets near my ROP'd Maglite.

I swapped the tailcap from a 200 lumen EB-1c and use an AZ2 head on it now. The gas pedal works great on the EB1 and with a #12 Danco o-ring in one of the slots the light is at least as confident as the original shrouded clicky was. Maybe more.

IMG_20180321_180314.jpg

I can see the purpose behind the EDCL2-T in its factory platform. And it's awesome performing its duty. I'll miss that awesome low setting too.

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never could get past how warm the batteries get with this one. I ended up using the head on an older E2 Defender. That combo sets near my ROP'd Maglite.

I swapped the tailcap from a 200 lumen EB-1c and use an AZ2 head on it now. The gas pedal works great on the EB1 and with a #12 Danco o-ring in one of the slots the light is at least as confident as the original shrouded clicky was. Maybe more.

IMG_20180321_180314.jpg

I can see the purpose behind the EDCL2-T in its factory platform. And it's awesome performing its duty. I'll miss that awesome low setting too.
Oh man. My edcl2 is on me every day in factory form. I hardly use high but I sure like it when I do! So far so good when using high for extended periods. It can get pretty hot but seems stable. Has turned into my favorite surefire to date. [emoji2]

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I hear ya Teak. I really like the low. And the high makes me giggle like a 3rd grader who heard the teacher burp.

Sometimes I'll reassemble the factory parts and run it off a 17650 as that is kinda like having a medium setting. Plus it runs a heck-uv-alot cooler. But the low in that setup sucks compared to the 123 fed low.

Agree with the seems stable part, and I'm confident SureFire did their homework, crossed the t's and dotted the i's before were able to buy them.

I suppose by fall it'll be back to factory setup. Especially if I can find a gas pedal for my EB1c.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking at this battery that seems to be a good choice for running rechargeable for our 3.5A battery burner:

https://www.batteryjunction.com/olight-imr-16340.html

It has an oddly specific warning of "Please note: Only charge this battery inside of the product. Do not use an external charger.". Does anyone know what is a general use equivalent?

I have those.
The reason is that while an external charger will charge them, there is also a negative terminal at the positive side ofthe battery and it is veryeasy to short circuit.

I took some insulators from dead CR123s and glued them to the top of these Olightcells to prevent shorts, since I dont have S2 or S1R lights anyway.
Way safer now.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has an oddly specific warning of "Please note: Only charge this battery inside of the product. Do not use an external charger.". Does anyone know what is a general use equivalent?

These batteries work fine for general use. The note apparently comes from the fact that the battery was marketed with the Olight S1R Baton light. This light needs this high discharge battery to achieve full brightness and it works with a charger cable to charge the battery in the light:

Powered by a 550mAh RCR123 customized battery of five times discharging rate, giving a maximum output up to 900 lumens The flashlight can be charged through the magnetic contact charging port (other batteries may also be used in S1R, but cannot be charged)

https://olightworld.com/olight-s1r-baton

I've used these Olight ORB-163C05 5C cells in several high current lights for three months now and they are great. They charge fine on default settings on my Nitecore D2 and D4 chargers.

There is a discontinued 4Sevens version of the same 5C battery that is similarly spec'ed for the Mini Mk II light and has the same note about charging inside the light. However, the Mini Mk II has no facility for internal charging.

I'm using those Olight 5C protected IMR's in some recent high current lights like the SureFire EDCL-2T, E1B-MV and 47's Turbo and non-Turbo Mini Mk II's. If you use regular RCR123A's in these current thirsty lights, the protection circuit trips long before the battery has discharged very much.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have those.
The reason is that while an external charger will charge them, there is also a negative terminal at the positive side ofthe battery and it is veryeasy to short circuit.

I took some insulators from dead CR123s and glued them to the top of these Olightcells to prevent shorts, since I dont have S2 or S1R lights anyway.
Way safer now.

Although I haven't had a problem with these cells, I like your thinking. :thumbsup:

I don't have many dead CR123A's to harvest from since I've used rechargeables for years now. And the Olight 5C IMR's are supposedly protected in case a wayward spring shorted the top or a tab in the charger made crooked contact. But still, just a couple of mm separate the high-current antipodal electrical contacts on the top.

Maybe those binder hole reinforcements for punched paper sheets will work. Or some non-conductive epoxy?

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe those binder hole reinforcements for punched paper sheets will work.

I got some Avery self-adhesive 1/4 inch reinforcement labels and they seem to fit the top of the Olight 5C IMR cells very well. I haven't had any problems with a short on the top of these batteries and the protection should shut down the cell if it is shorted. But, adding the hole reinforcement as an insulator gives another layer of protection for these high current cells.

The 4Sevens version of this battery already has the insulator on top but it may not always be available.

Newly Enlightened
It's there have runtime between 16650,SF 123 and 16340?
Want to buy it using 16650 but worry about in low lumen

Jose Marin

Enlightened
It's there have runtime between 16650,SF 123 and 16340?
Want to buy it using 16650 but worry about in low lumen

This light atleast my copy doesn't have a regulated low output. Its very low, almost a moon light with 16650 if i can remember. Here's a link to the page with low beam shots. You also don't get full output with 16650 because voltage is too low. Never really got around to runtime tests on this one because i lost intrest in it. Id recommend buying the edcl-1t and picking up an eb2 body from somewhere to run 16650. The low is the same with cr123 and 16340/16650

Edit sorry i never posted link
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...EDCL-2T&p=5165832&highlight=16650#post5165832

Last edited:

Newly Enlightened
This light atleast my copy doesn't have a regulated low output. Its very low, almost a moon light with 16650 if i can remember. Here's a link to the page with low beam shots. You also don't get full output with 16650 because voltage is too low. Never really got around to runtime tests on this one because i lost intrest in it. Id recommend buying the edcl-1t and picking up an eb2 body from somewhere to run 16650. The low is the same with cr123 and 16340/16650
Sounds very bad:(
Maybe changing to E2T-mv. It have good, stable and long output curve using 16650.

Thank you:grin2: